Forum Index » GEAR » NEW Style Sawyer Water Bladders 1L and 2L

Display Avatars Sort By:
KEN LARSON
(KENLARSON) - MLife

Locale: Western Michigan
New Sawyer bags on 06/13/2013 16:26:26 MDT Print View

I recently visited The Outpost of Holland that is in Holland, and one of Western Michigan's premiers "mom & pop" outdoor specialty retailers. I was told by a sales individual that a SAWYER Rep (I believe the SAWYER VIP had daughter that attended Hope College recently) visited them because they carry many SAWYER products, told him in his conversation, the new BLUE bags were different in material composition, graphics, weight and structurally improved around the cap. When I looked at one the store had attached to a filter it did seem to me that he was correct.

Michael Matiasek
(matiasek) - F - M
sawyer water bladder as a drinking water bladder? on 06/25/2013 23:00:10 MDT Print View

Maybe this is assumed but is anyone using these bladders as a primary drinking bladder (bladder that has a tube with a bite valve fixed to it)? If so what parts are you using as a drinking tube?

I currently use a MSR bladder and a platypus. I fill the platypus with water to be treated, run it through the frontier pro filter into my MSR bladder, then treat with aqua mira.

These sawyer bladders are a touch lighter than my platypus and a lot lighter than the MSR bladder. Thoughts on whether I could switch to these bladders?

Thanks!

Dan S
(DJSTWO) - M

Locale: Southern California
delaminate on 09/03/2013 20:32:04 MDT Print View

I got the package with the "new" bags.

During my 4 day trip the large 64oz bag started to delaminate. The outer clear layer is peeling off and has separated from the other layers.

I can't tell if it's just cosmetic, or structural, either way it's bad design/manufacturing. I have use the bag 15-20 times since new, it shouldn't fall apart that fast.

side

bottom

John Brown
(johnbrown2005) - F

Locale: Portland, OR
Sawyer delamination on 09/03/2013 21:32:33 MDT Print View

My "new stronger" Sawyer 2L bag from MLD started delaminating in a similar way on the 3rd day of use. Didn't inspire much confidence.

Michael Gillenwater
(mwgillenwater) - M

Locale: Seattle area
Re: delaminate on 09/03/2013 21:35:20 MDT Print View

I just blew out my 1 L Sawyer bag (the old version). But not the way other people are describing. I have found even the old ones to work fine for filtering as long as you roll them to squeeze water through the filter.

Instead, I was using one as a hot water bottle for a backpacking week in which I under sized my sleeping bag and needed extra warmth each night. After a several days of being nightly subjected to near boiling water, the bag delaminated around the opening. For comparison, the Platypus bags we were using for the same purpose held find despite the repeated loadings with near boiling water.

Robin B
(beckcommar) - F

Locale: NorCal
Re: Sawyer delamination on 09/03/2013 22:58:41 MDT Print View

Same here. I picked up one of the new sawyer bags and used it for about 10 nights. The outermost layer of clear plastic is delaminating just as others have experienced. Such a shame.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.wordpress.com
Ron's right. on 09/03/2013 23:01:28 MDT Print View

I got the new bag from Ron when he first started carrying them at the beginning of this year, and they're durable as hell. Possibly better than Platypus.