Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
ZPacks Hexamid Pocket Tarp
Display Avatars Sort By:
John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
ZPacks Hexamid Pocket Tarp on 04/17/2013 19:06:33 MDT Print View

Hey All,

Earlier today ZPacks updated their website with a new product, called the "ZPacks Hexamid Pocket Tarp" -- an 88 gram (3.1 ounce) hexamid tarp made from 0.34 cuben fiber!

As one of a very small handful of people in the world that have any serious mileage using a 0.34 cuben fiber tarp, I have to say I am amazed that ZPacks has pushed out this product - but I am super excited that they have!

The worry, of course, will be that inexperienced hikers will see the weight of this and buy it - without any real clue as to just how delicate 0.34 cf is.

ZPacks is describing this tarp in this manner: "It is meant to be used as an emergency shelter carried in your day pack."

I think that is a great way to approach this, but still going to be super concerned that hikers will buy this and try to use it out on the trail for full time use.

It is totally possible to use a 0.34 cf shelter as your full time shelter (I have two entire summer seasons using one - probably close to 200 nights) and I have only one very minor tear in my rectangle 0.34 CF shelter, which was caused by somebody over tightening it when I was letting them set it up. But it just goes to show that even being hyper aggressive with this material can potentially cause damage to it.

So, all the worries and concerns aside... will I be buying one?? Oh man, tough call... but yeah, I think I will be putting an order in for one. After ~200 nights with my rectangle 0.34 CF tarp, it might be time to put it into a box and send it around to all the different cottage companies that make CF shelters and let them see what 0.34 CF can handle.

ZPacks is indicating a total weight for a Hexamid Pocket tarp at 113 grams (4.0 ounces) with cordage and stuff sack. That is crazy impressive!

http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/hexamid_pocket.shtml

Whadda all think??

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
ZPacks Hexamid Pocket Tarp on 04/17/2013 20:41:06 MDT Print View

Personally, I've been wondering what the next latest and greatest item or fabric would be. I still need to put together something for day hikes or short rides on my motorcycle.
Duane

Marc Loomis
(th12t33n)
wootsicles on 04/17/2013 21:06:40 MDT Print View

As someone who just bought a hexamid twin, getting ready to order the twin cuben bathtub groundsheet and a few extras.. I think this is something im seriously considering. And like, im actually kinda geeked at the idea for numerous reasons.

1.The Fact i have 2,2 man tents. 1 being rei quarter dome t2(love it just a little heavy) and the other being, the Hexamid Twin i literally just got last week in the mail. But i havent even gotten to use it yet to see if i even like it. Which is a main factor im being timid about pulling the trigger. But i do need a solo shelter/ backup for my day packs and from what i hear the .34 is fine if you treat it right.

2.I was considering getting the hexamid solo, but ive been reading this is just fine for a shelter if you treat it right.

3. Its new and would be sweet to get early review of it up.

4. Weight.. i mean 8.1 with stakes is something to think about.

5. Im a gear junkie.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Hexamid Pocket Tarp on 04/17/2013 21:07:59 MDT Print View

While I won't be buying one, it's nice to see a company that is seemingly finding commercial success continuing to push things lighter rather than gravitating towards the mainstream. It's a pretty cool niche product.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
ZPacks Hexamid Pocket Tarp on 04/18/2013 01:04:53 MDT Print View

I continue to be impressed with the constant innovation and ongoing improvement coming out of Zpacks.

I don't, however, have the elite skill levels or the experience needed to use this tarp(:.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Hexamid Pocket Tarp on 04/18/2013 06:46:04 MDT Print View

Dan, my thoughts too about companies "gravitating to the mainstream".
Duane

jim draucker
(mtnjim) - MLife

Locale: Shenandoah Valley VA
Re: Hexamid Pocket Tarp on 04/18/2013 07:32:10 MDT Print View

Hello all

I have a .34 Heaxamid solo. It has worked very well so far. The design does a great job of distrbuting load thorughout tarp.I use 2gram titanium stakes and add additional anchorage if weather dictates.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Hexamid Pocket Tarp on 04/18/2013 08:41:31 MDT Print View

I have one too. Have been in some good windstorms and it has held up well. No sign of deterioration at the tie-out points either, which was my biggest concern.

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Cook Tent? on 04/18/2013 09:46:29 MDT Print View

It is light enough that a person could carry it as a separate place to cook food in bad weather.

My wife, for example, likes me to bring her coffee in the morning before she gets out of the tent. If it is raining I sometimes set up a lean-to for this chore.

Tom Lyons
(towaly) - F

Locale: Smoky Mtns.
Good concept. on 04/18/2013 10:43:42 MDT Print View

I currently use a 5x8 ID Siltarp as a "pocket tarp", which does indeed fit in my pocket.
It's not as light as this ZPacks Pocket Tarp, but I do like the concept, and I might be considering one of these items in the future.

I like things that can go in a pocket.
I wear a very light nylon fishing vest(numerous pockets) for some outdoor activities with my Siltarp in one pocket, my Klymit X-Lite pad in another pocket, and a HeetSheets emergency bivy bag in another pocket, giving me a complete mild-weather shelter/pad/bag system that takes up very little space and also weighs very little.
My extremely compact 2.5 oz Stoic Wraith in another pocket for a hoodie jacket.
A few Clif Bars for munchies, and a water bottle hanging off my belt loop with maybe a Sawyer Squeeze or a Steri-Pen, and it's a pretty useful bit of kit, without needing a pack.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: ZPacks Hexamid Pocket Tarp on 04/18/2013 13:00:51 MDT Print View

How waterproof is the .34 oz/yd2 Cuben?

William Chilton
(WilliamC3) - MLife

Locale: Antakya
Re: Re: ZPacks Hexamid Pocket Tarp on 04/18/2013 13:24:57 MDT Print View

I think the .34 cuben is the same mylar thickness as the .51 and .74oz but with less dyneema thread. It should then be just as waterproof but have less tear strength.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Re: ZPacks Hexamid Pocket Tarp on 04/18/2013 13:27:14 MDT Print View

Ah, thanks William.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
.34oz cuben on 04/18/2013 14:06:19 MDT Print View

Yup it's entirely waterproof until you get holes in it. That can be a long time if it's tarp and you treat it well. Abrasion is the enemy.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Waste of Money? on 04/18/2013 14:11:47 MDT Print View

How much tarp mastery does one need before justifying a tarp like this? I love the weight, but I'm not a professional tarp-camper. Just noodling around with basic rectangle setups, mostly.

I wouldn't want to buy this, end up in a little storm, and immediately tear it to shreds.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Waste of Money? on 04/18/2013 14:20:24 MDT Print View

This shelter sets up easily, more so than similar types of shelters.

One night Craig W and I camped in pretty windy conditions - we got plenty of sand in our clothes and food. I wouldn't trust it in 50 mph plus winds, the wind probably wouldn't hurt the fabric, but the tie outs could be a problem. Of course it would need to be oriented to the wind properly, and prayers to the wind god might be appropriate -- asking that the wind direction not change. For seriousness wind and a tarp shelter a Trailstar would be better.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: ZPacks Hexamid Pocket Tarp on 04/18/2013 14:24:12 MDT Print View

I like to sleep nude. This may be a problem.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: ZPacks Hexamid Pocket Tarp on 04/18/2013 18:42:53 MDT Print View

"I like to sleep nude. This may be a problem."

Not if you hike solo or come across a group of nymphomaniacs.

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: ZPacks Hexamid Pocket Tarp on 05/02/2013 11:46:13 MDT Print View

Ok, I just placed an order for mine!!

Who else has ordered one up??

+John Abela

James DeGraaf
(jdegraaf) - MLife

Locale: Bay Area
Pocket Tarp on 06/16/2013 18:56:47 MDT Print View

Hi John,
It's been the better part of a month since you ordered, my question is then: have you had a chance to use this little number and how has it held up?
Thanks,
James