Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Packrafting in the White Mountains of New Hampshire
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jonathan Ryan
(Jkrew81) - F - M

Locale: White Mtns
Packrafting in the White Mountains of New Hampshire on 05/06/2007 07:04:32 MDT Print View

While hiking out to Owls Head yesterday I notices that there are some really great areas for possible packrafting. Has anyone here ever done this or heard of it?

Brett Tucker
(blister-free) - F

Locale: Puertecito ruins
Re: Packrafting in the White Mountains of New Hampshire on 05/06/2007 11:45:47 MDT Print View

The Pemi is probably in snowmelt flood about now, eh? I suppose it might be packraftable at this time of year, but otherwise the sport would seem to be limited to the larger valley streams - Saco, Androscoggin, lower Amonoosuc. Better prospects for remote rafting in northern Maine, methinks; I've been considering a run at the Allagash, possibly linking with a chain-of-lakes route that would roughly parallel the AT thru the 100 Mile Wilderness, with occasional white-blaze portages. Or so goes the lead-in to a bigger pipedream - "aqua blazing" from Maine to Georgia. :)

Jonathan Ryan
(Jkrew81) - F - M

Locale: White Mtns
Pemi Rafting on 05/06/2007 13:51:58 MDT Print View

what a trip it would be in late April - early May. Yesterday the rivers were almost waist deep of freezing cold water so it would be on hell of a trip.

By the by, you just sent me a pair of Levigators and they worked perfectly yesterday :)