Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » Backpacking: Baby on Board - Part 2: Trekking with a Toddler

Display Avatars Sort By:
Maia
(maia) - MLife

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Backpacking: Baby on Board - Part 2: Trekking with a Toddler on 04/16/2013 21:54:09 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Backpacking: Baby on Board - Part 2: Trekking with a Toddler

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Backpacking: Baby on Board - Part 2 on 04/16/2013 23:41:00 MDT Print View

I'm trying to decide which is my favorite picture. I think it's the last one with Flora and Fany setting up the tent!

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Backpacking: Baby on Board - Part 2: Trekking with a Toddler on 04/17/2013 00:06:57 MDT Print View

Thanks for writing this, it has been a joy to see the progress of you little family.

I do remember the original "heated debate" thread about your possible planned adventure. I am glad to see the great experience you had, not always easy but great non the less.

Lars Laird Iversen
(larslaird) - M
Inspiring on 04/17/2013 01:17:28 MDT Print View

Thanks! Inspiring stuff! We're just trying to figure out how to get some wilderness time with two kids under two years. Reading your two articles gives both practical clues and inspiration!

With two, I'm afraid we won't be able to carry tents and all, but planning to find the best place to pitch a tent and do good daytrips.

Karl-Johan Stefansson
(Kalle) - MLife

Locale: Switzerland
Inspirational on 04/17/2013 02:06:26 MDT Print View

Inspirational, to say the least!!
Thanks very much indeed for writing this.
Taking our 2 year old daughter out in the Alps this summer. This article takes away some of the doubts and fears.

William Safley
(wsafley) - M

Locale: Eastern NC
Brings back memories on 04/17/2013 15:28:38 MDT Print View

Thanks for writing this. While I haven't been on such a long adventure with a toddler, my family did go backpacking for a couple of nights at our favorite weekend spot with our 2 year old daughter when my wife was 6 months pregnant with our second child. It was only a couple of miles in, though, up an old fire road.

We continued such activities throughout both our children's childhoods. It definitely made an impression on my daughter. She graduated from college a couple of years ago and is now working in the field of environmental education.

Thanks again for sharing, and I hope you continue to enjoy outings like that with your family.

Jeremy Gustafson
(gustafsj) - MLife

Locale: Minneapolis
Re: Backpacking: Baby on Board - Part 2: Trekking with a Toddler on 04/17/2013 19:54:03 MDT Print View

Thanks for sharing your adventure!! We have 3 little ones, 5, 3 & 16 mths and try to get them out as much as we can including short backpacking trips. They all love being outside and behave and sleep better the more time the get outside. That says something in itself.

What did you use for a carrier? We'll need something a bit more robust for our 16 mth old this year as she is already 27 lbs.

Also, I'm curious how you managed diapers, especially night-time?

Thanks!!

Amy Hatch
(jhpackraft)
Good comments on safety on 04/18/2013 22:30:52 MDT Print View

I couldn't agree more with your comments about safety ... And how ironic it is that as we, as a society, try to shield children from natural dangers we actually end up doing more harm than good. As an outdoor mom/ family I do sometimes wonder if I've pushed the line too far, but I never question the value of raising our daughter in the mountains. Thanks for a great read!

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Backpacking: Baby on Board - Part 2: Trekking with a Toddler on 04/20/2013 05:40:44 MDT Print View

Very nice read! And what an adventure for all!

Trust me, as your little girl gets older and asks Mommy and Daddy to tell her stories about "when I was a baby", she will delight as you detail her first mountain, her walking stick (sword), and all you enjoyed together, as well as how she couldn't get enough of nature.

I applaud your family's zeal for LIVING.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Backpacking: Baby on Board - Part 2: Trekking with a Toddler on 04/20/2013 08:25:42 MDT Print View

Wonderful ... simply wonderful. Your daughter was wise beyond her years to choose such parents:-)

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Backpacking: Baby on Board - Part 2: Trekking with a Toddler on 04/20/2013 08:55:12 MDT Print View

Very moving. Thanks for the words and photos.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
From Nick on 04/25/2013 15:23:44 MDT Print View

Dear all,

I can't see the comments from my account but here are some replies to comments I received through Roger:

Mary, Tad, Karl-Johan, Amy: thanks and glad you enjoyed reading it.

William:
thanks and yep, the link between children playing in nature and later becoming nature protectors is obvious and proven. George Monbiot once wrote a great article on that. Did you know that in the UK in 1 generation the proportion of children regularly playing outside dropped from 46% to 10%? Imagine what that does with nature protection efforts. It's one little subject in my book.

Lars:
yep, thru-hike looks difficult with 2 under 2 years. Although I know some people that do something like that, even in winter in Norway. Don't ask me how but look for yourself here: https://www.facebook.com/TrisTransSaga?ref=ts&fref=ts

Jeremy:
at 15 months we used a deuter kid comfort 3 and at 27 and at 30 months we used a vaude jolly. the deuter is more heavy but for a 15 month old, the comfort is important and the deuter has more comfort. On diapers: 4 a day, in packages of 5 days so 20 diapers - which we send to ourselves in a post package, at the start of the trip, to mountain huts or other places where we slept. we also posted the gas refills, the smallest ones on the market, plus a few renewables so in total we posted almost 2kg to ourselves. By the time she was 27 months that was no longer needed! only one night diaper and even that one remained dry most of the time.

Enjoy the outdoors, folks! Never to early to start :-)

Nick