Forum Index » Photography » Weather protection for Canon S90 or new camera...

Display Avatars Sort By:
Peter S
(prse) - MLife

Locale: Denmark
Weather protection for Canon S90 or new camera... on 04/16/2013 06:42:52 MDT Print View

I'm pondering getting a waterproof camera instead of my Canon S90 for convenience on the trail.

But before going that route, i thought i should ask "TMBPLPF" (The Mighty BPL Photography Forum) for advise ;-)

Question: Is there a quickly accessible, waterproof, light, shoulder-strap-mountable pouch/bag worth considering for the S90?

Paul Mountford
(Sparticus) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic Canada
Re: Weather protection for Canon S90 or new camera... on 04/16/2013 07:33:41 MDT Print View

It might be more than you need, but ZPacks make a nice bag.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/backpack_lid.shtml

Peter S
(prse) - MLife

Re: Re: Weather protection for Canon S90 or new camera... on 04/16/2013 07:39:30 MDT Print View

Thanks Paul, but a little to big for me.

Btw, Would you trust that to be totally waterproof?

Paul Mountford
(Sparticus) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic Canada
Re: Re: Re: Weather protection for Canon S90 or new camera... on 04/18/2013 06:03:05 MDT Print View

Waterproof like it fell off my packraft and sunk to the bottom of a river – No.

Waterproof enough with to be confident to hike with in the rain – yes.

Below is the one I purchased.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=68884

Mine was a custom order (a little bigger) so that I could make compartments out of foam and store my NEX 5 + extra kit. I’ve used it so far on 4 hiking trips in Scotland and is has kept my camera dry in some heavy rain. It may be too big for your needs, but I like it because I can keep stuff on my chest where I can get easy access as opposed to my pack.

Edited by Sparticus on 04/18/2013 06:03:39 MDT.

Peter S
(prse) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Weather protection for Canon S90 or new camera... on 04/18/2013 08:00:20 MDT Print View

Okay, if you trust your NEX to survive, I'll trust my S90 to survive ;-).

Btw, nice foam-mod.

I could probably get Joe to make a small one.

Thanks again

Peter