Knots
Display Avatars Sort By:
Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
And the advantages on 04/17/2013 07:29:00 MDT Print View

Ah, but there are advantages..and that's why you are careful. :)

Trust me, my buddy is a climbing instructor for the CMC and is know for being conservative with climbing. He's been climbing for roughly the same span you have have.

I readily admit I am not an expert..but do trust my friend.

Feel free to e-mail any further follow up directly.

Otherwise I may have to say what the 12 yr old boy scouts called a square knot. And it was not not Politically Correct. :)

Edited by PaulMags on 04/17/2013 11:30:39 MDT.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Engine know-how does not replace good knot skills on 04/17/2013 11:16:13 MDT Print View

I once knew a guy who did not know how to tie his shoes. And he's dead now. Knots are serious business, I dont care what Nick says.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
to knot, or not to knot, that is the question on 04/17/2013 13:45:37 MDT Print View

So far, the Farrimond is my favorite guyline knot. Anyone know anyone any better that is relatively easy to learn, fast, and very easy to undo?

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Hitches rock! on 04/17/2013 14:16:24 MDT Print View

The Farrimond is another I had not seen before, awesome! So many of these are discussed on the bushcrafter pages. Maybe I'm a closet bushcrafter?

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Engine know-how does not replace good knot skills on 04/17/2013 14:17:21 MDT Print View

I used to climb quite a bit. Also a fisherman (mostly saltwater, but flyfishing too). Hard to escape tying knots if you do either. Do you need a ton of knots? Probably not. But I enjoy knowing them and seeking uses for them.

On an aside, I find knots fascinating. It's the romantic as well as artist in me. Some knots are clumsy workhorses, others beautiful and elegant. The Siberian Hitch mentioned earlier is a beautifully simple work of art and design in my opinion. I like the mix of form and function involved.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
My basic knots on 04/17/2013 14:32:43 MDT Print View

I can tie the following with proficiency and they've served me well on my adventures:

Bowline
Figure 8
Clove hitch
Square knot
prusik
taut line
Mangus hitch

I know a few others but these are what I use 99% of the time (not including my shoes.)

I discovered recently that what I thought was the taut line hitch is actually the Mangus Hitch. Pretty close to the same thing except the finish. I've always just used a prusik knot on my tarp system but seems that many people on BPL prefer the taut line for some reason. I'll have to switch to it to see if I can perceive a difference in performance.

Edited to improve the general awesomeness of my response.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 04/17/2013 15:41:14 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: My basic knots on 04/17/2013 14:40:06 MDT Print View

"taught line hitch"

Surely you mean a taut line hitch.

--B.G.--

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Facepalm on 04/17/2013 15:32:49 MDT Print View

Edit: whatever do you mean I don't know what you are talking about.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 04/17/2013 15:34:22 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Facepalm on 04/17/2013 15:59:12 MDT Print View

"Edit: whatever do you mean I don't know what you are talking about."

Ian, this is a lie and you know it. Why do you try to pull the wool over the eyes of the forum readers? Perhaps you want to retract your statement.

--B.G.--

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Facepalm on 04/17/2013 16:14:34 MDT Print View

Holy cow Bob it was a joke! The Facepalm title to my response I thought was an overly obvious admission to my idiotic error. Relax.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Facepalm on 04/17/2013 16:18:54 MDT Print View

"Holy cow Bob it was a joke!"

Next time you make a comment like that, use (just joking) or something, since Facepalm has no obvious meaning.

--B.G.--

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

You got it! on 04/17/2013 16:28:02 MDT Print View

Bob... my humor is very dry and I don't use emoticons all that often. I also freely admit that my ability to self edit is somewhat slower than my ability it hit "Post Message." It's an area of weakness that I'm well aware of and I don't mind taking my lumps when I screw something like that up.

In the future I will try to be a little more obvious when I'm trying to be funny and I'll throttle it back when I'm interacting with you.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 04/17/2013 16:28:58 MDT.

Daniel Pittman
(pitsy) - M

Locale: Central Texas
Here's how that should've went down... on 04/17/2013 18:14:21 MDT Print View

"Surely you mean a taut line hitch."

Whatever, spelling Nazi, and don't call me Shirley.

BER ---
(BER) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
For Bob's benefit (facepalm) on 04/17/2013 20:28:26 MDT Print View

"Next time you make a comment like that, use (just joking) or something, since Facepalm has no obvious meaning."

It actually does.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facepalm

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: You got it! on 04/17/2013 20:35:42 MDT Print View

"In the future I will try to be a little more obvious when I'm trying to be funny"

I'd appreciate it if you'd be a little less obvious, dude. I mean, it's not necessary to hit us over the head with it and all.....

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Correction and getting lost in the mundane on 04/18/2013 09:20:24 MDT Print View

As luck would have it, I'm a rookie in the SAR academy and last night was our second knot class. The Mangus hitch is something different altogether and doesn't appear to be similar to the taut line hitch; it is more similar to a clove hitch. I also learned that there are a couple variations of the taut line but they only vary in how the knot is finished. Doesn't seem to make a difference either way. The way I tie it looks like 3/4 of a Prusik and that works for me.

We did learn the Alpine Butterfly and I think I'll have use for it in the future. When using a trucker’s hitch, it seems to be easier to untie than a figure 8 loop.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Engine know-how does not replace good knot skills on 04/18/2013 09:39:08 MDT Print View

"I once knew a guy who did not know how to tie his shoes. And he's dead now. Knots are serious business, I dont care what Nick says."

I am so glad I learned how to properly tie my shoes at the early age of 62. I wonder how I made it through all these years and am alive to talk about it :)

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Facepalm. on 04/18/2013 12:17:46 MDT Print View

asdf

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Ha ha! on 04/18/2013 12:31:03 MDT Print View

I'll stick to Shakespearian English from now on to keep things less dramatic... at least until I have a BPL journeyman's understanding of the facepalm and all its mysteries.

"I seeith that I spelleth thine knotworks in a poopeth fashion."

(This is a joke and no thespians were harmed in its creation)

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Ha ha! on 04/18/2013 13:44:12 MDT Print View

>I'll stick to Shakespearian English from now on to keep things less dramatic... at least until I have a BPL journeyman's understanding of the facepalm and all its mysteries.

drtyj

>(This is a joke and no thespians were harmed in its creation)

A pity.

Edited by T.L. on 04/18/2013 13:46:50 MDT.