Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What's the snow line like in Yosemite / Sierra Nevada's about now?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Kevin Burton
(burtonator) - M

Locale: norcal
What's the snow line like in Yosemite / Sierra Nevada's about now? on 04/15/2013 23:34:24 MDT Print View

I"m thinking of hitting Yosemite this weekend. It's my birthday and all :)

What's the snow line like? This is the earliest in the season I've ever gone so it will be an adventure :)

Looking forward to trying out all the gear that Santa brought me.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: What's the snow line like in Yosemite / Sierra Nevada's about now? on 04/15/2013 23:47:31 MDT Print View

The roads in the high country are still closed.

--B.G.--

steven franchuk
(Surf) - M
Re: What's the snow line like in Yosemite / Sierra Nevada's about now? on 04/16/2013 00:02:42 MDT Print View

Check out this recent post trip report for Kibbie lake in northern Yosemite.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=75813

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Oro/Quincy Hwy is open on 04/16/2013 08:58:32 MDT Print View

You can come up the Oro/Quincy Hwy out of Oroville now, my friend rode it on his motorcycle on Sunday, only a few wet spots across the road. Snow camp in the Bucks Lake Wilderness.
Duane

Sean Monahan
(Zvolen) - F

Locale: CA Central Valley
Re: What's the snow line like in Yosemite / Sierra Nevada's about now? on 04/16/2013 12:47:59 MDT Print View

Not sure about Yosemite but I was up near Wishon/Courtright and there wasn't any noticeable snow at all. While there I heard there wasn't even significant snow up towards Lake Edison.

Hope that helps.

Paul McLaughlin
(paul) - MLife
Re: Re: What's the snow line like in Yosemite / Sierra Nevada's about now? on 04/16/2013 21:04:29 MDT Print View

Sean - does that mean the road is open to Wishon Dam?

Joseph Lynch
(rushfan) - M

Locale: Northern California
How about Dinky Lakes in June? on 04/16/2013 21:42:10 MDT Print View

I'm looking at bringing my scout troop to Dinky Lakes in mid-June. Sound feasible?

Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Locale: So-Cal
Snow level Sierra. on 04/16/2013 22:35:46 MDT Print View

At Whitney last weekend the snow level was about 10,000' on north facing slopes and 14,000 on south facing slopes. At Mammoth the week before it was more like 9,000' on south facing slopes, but remember Mammoth usually has the most snow in the Sierra.

Joseph Lynch
(rushfan) - M

Locale: Northern California
Wow, bad snow year on 04/16/2013 22:40:17 MDT Print View

Thanks for the update. Our trip should be fine.

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
Re: What's the snow line like in Yosemite / Sierra Nevada's about now? on 04/16/2013 23:36:17 MDT Print View

This should give you an idea. probably pretty patchy below 8500'

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/snow/PAGE6

Here's is the report for hw108.

SR 108
[IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA & SIERRA NEVADA]
IS CLOSED FROM 26.4 MI EAST OF STRAWBERRY (TUOLUMNE CO) TO 5.3 MI WEST OF
THE JCT OF US 395 /SONORA PASS/ (MONO CO) - FOR THE WINTER - MOTORISTS ARE
ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

If i calculated right it should be open all they way just passed kennedy meadows. So emigrant wilderness should be fairly accessible.

James Winstead
(James_W) - M

Locale: CA
Re: What's the snow line like in Yosemite / Sierra Nevada's about now? on 04/17/2013 00:15:47 MDT Print View

Last weekend at around 7200 near Cherry Lake:
Snow

Northwest facing slope. Patchy to non existent though on south exposures or below 7000.

Edited by James_W on 04/17/2013 00:20:07 MDT.

Charles P
(mediauras) - F

Locale: Terra
Re: Re: What's the snow line like in Yosemite / Sierra Nevada's about now? on 04/17/2013 09:20:06 MDT Print View

There was a dump Monday night. I know that the Carson Pass area (I ski at Kirkwood and follow conditions there) got 10".

Edward Silva
(pcmodem)
Tioga Pass on 04/17/2013 17:58:55 MDT Print View

Read somewhere recently that Tioga Pass snowplows were scheduled to commence on May 15th.

Sean Monahan
(Zvolen) - F

Locale: CA Central Valley
Re: Re: Re: What's the snow line like in Yosemite / Sierra Nevada's about now? on 04/19/2013 15:09:00 MDT Print View

Apologies for the late reply Paul however the gate wasn't open last weekend but was told by a ranger they planned to open the gate this weekend. I would follow up with them to make sure.