Forum Index » GEAR » Things you don't carry.

Display Avatars Sort By:
Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Things you don't carry. on 04/15/2013 21:54:32 MDT Print View

What are some things you don't carry but others usually do?

I don't carry:
Soap
Toothpaste
T.P.
A stove (i usually make a small fire to cook)
Tarp stakes (i use sticks)

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Neat Thread! on 04/15/2013 21:59:21 MDT Print View

I don't carry:

A signal mirror
Waterproof Glove Shells (I swap 2-3 pairs of wet liners until I reach camp, then I switch to insulated mittens).
Water Crossing Shoes
Balaclavas (prefer fleece scarf, I have a nice and light Patagonia one)
Sleeping Bag Liner (A fallacy)

My list of things I do carry that others usually don't is more embarrassing.

Notes on yours:
I recently picked up two titanium tent stakes for my Hennessy Hammock. In doing so, I reduced my set-up time by at least 2 minutes and I eased the pain of finding a hard stick in frozen ground. Never going back.

Edited by mdilthey on 04/15/2013 21:59:56 MDT.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Things I don't carry on 04/15/2013 22:06:37 MDT Print View

I rarely carry a stove. I just eat cold food.

Bradley Attaway
(AttaboyBrad) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
What's your reasoning? on 04/15/2013 22:20:39 MDT Print View

What's your reasoning for the common things you don't bring? Are you using other things to serve the same purpose? In what cases would you bring them?

"Not bringing things that most would" is kind of the basic UL ethos, so I presume you're looking for weird answers.

In one rare instance I didn't bring a backpack, but rather stacked my gear on top of my folded torso CCF pad and wrapped my hammock around it and fashioned straps from my hammock suspension.

It was an XUL overnight experiment. It didn't work well enough to justify the 6oz saved, but it was fun!

Also: Food. I fast on occasion and have done a couple of weekends with nothing but black tea.

Edited by AttaboyBrad on 04/15/2013 22:26:01 MDT.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Things you don't carry. on 04/15/2013 22:32:41 MDT Print View

Electronics other than light.

It really differs if I am going with my UL breathren or with the "others" that take extra shoes and french presses and pork loin.

With them I hardly have anything along in comparision.

Now with the ones from BPL we all seem to have the same amount of things. All with a personal slant of course. Cameras and electronics do seem to be where the majority of luxury items vary with this group.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Different strokes on 04/15/2013 22:42:01 MDT Print View

Yeah, I find that electronics variation interesting. I don't bring my phone if I can help it. I abhor the idea of an iPad or an e-Reader. I discard the thought of an MP3 player or radio. I say nay to a GPS. However, I cannot camp without my camera, and it's a full-sized DSLR.

Variation, indeed...

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
Things I don't carry on 04/15/2013 23:11:08 MDT Print View

I don't carry a cast iron skillet, undersized or ineffective sleeping pad(s) or an umbrella.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Things you don't carry. on 04/15/2013 23:28:36 MDT Print View

I don't carry 10 pounds of beer.
I don't even like alcohol at all.

Nelson Sherry
(nsherry61)

Locale: Mid-Willamette Valley
Stuff I don't always bring on 04/15/2013 23:54:16 MDT Print View

Toothpaste
TP
Tent
Sleeping bag in warm weather
Stove often
Extra anything like cloths, food, water, etc.
Rain coat & pants often

Serge G.
(sgiachetti) - M

Locale: Boulder, CO
simplicity on 04/16/2013 00:38:35 MDT Print View

I haven't done much winter camping, but for 3 season stuff, here are some exclusions. I don't bring a stove for most trips. The cold foods I find in the bulk section are more nutrient dense and somehow more palatable on the trail. Doesn't hurt that not cooking is easier and lighter. I don't bring rain pants or long underwear, just the pair of softshells and merino boxers I wear for the whole trip. For most multi day trips last year I didn't bring a windshirt. i have no problem with the extra weight, but I wanted to go as simply as I could and see how EVENT would do for me. I've also found for high mileage multi-day trips, I move at a slower than I do for peak bagging or bc skiing day trips, so its easier to keep a no sweat pace. It worked decent enough, but I'll probably start bringing my windshirt again for days when I'm having to do quick miles. No hipbelt, except when I'm carrying climbing gear. I tend to agree with jardine, that hips want to be free (or something like that).

Just for fun, stuff I do bring: headphones. I love music, I love hiking. Music + hiking is pretty good sometimes too.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Things you don't carry. on 04/16/2013 06:30:16 MDT Print View

Glasses, camera, booze, too much facial hair.

J J
(jraiderguy) - M

Locale: Puget Sound
break-ins on 04/16/2013 09:17:22 MDT Print View

I hate that I bring my phone with me because I feel that much less disconnected. BUT, I've had my vehicle broken into three times by humans. The first time I left my phone, half-empty wallet, and extra keys in there. They took it all. Now I only leave the house with my driver's license, one credit card, and a bit of cash in a ziploc. But I still bring my phone out of convenience (maps/gps, emergency roadside assistance, etc.) I'm thinking of getting the cheapest prepaid cell I can find and taking that from now on, so I won't be concerned with leaving it in the glove box. Means I'll have to use a paper map to find the trailhead though - the horror! :)

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: break-ins on 04/16/2013 09:21:51 MDT Print View

"I hate that I bring my phone with me because I feel that much less disconnected."

But you don't have to turn it on/use it. I bring mine because I'm not leaving such a thing in the car, but I don't feel disconnected if it's just sitting in my pack turned off.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Things you don't carry. on 04/16/2013 11:16:31 MDT Print View

8lb glass bong.

True story.

Angus A.
(mangus7175) - F

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com
RE: Things you don't carry on 04/16/2013 11:21:06 MDT Print View

I don't carry a rambo knife :)

I've learned that all I really need is a pair of mini scissors that comes with my Leatherman PS4.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Things you don't carry. on 04/16/2013 11:54:07 MDT Print View

Condom.....I have duct tape.

There are no women on the trails that I seem to go on.

Maybe the chance of seeing women on the trail are about as good as seeing a unicorn?

-Tony...perverted mountain man that the sheep fear

Shawn Peyton
(alifeoutdoors) - F - MLife

Locale: Iron River, WI
Re: Things you don't carry on 04/16/2013 11:57:44 MDT Print View

Ken please elaborate on that story. I have to hear it.

Richard Fischel
(RICKO) - F
electronics on 04/16/2013 13:02:07 MDT Print View

i for the most part camp in the snow and having been snow-bound in a tent for over two days i wouldn't think of leaving my phone or mp3 player at home. there's only so much checkers you can play and if you're going to be late getting home you need to be albe to let people know not to call out the national guard. what i don't take is a seperate pair of long underwear to sleep in or duplicates/spares of any clothing item other than socks and gloves, which is typiclly two pairs of each so that i can always try and have a dry pair. I also pretty-much don't take a hard shell top or bottom.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
things i dont carry on 04/16/2013 15:17:25 MDT Print View

leaving the shelter at home alot lately on 1-2 night hikes. never music or reading material, but i'm starting to forgive people who do. my big pet peeve though is "hiking" clothes, or as my buddy calls it, plastic adventure wear. I'm convinced that hiking, biking, golfing, flyfishing all have an infatuation with specialized clothing and it's silly. The only piece I havent ditched is my houdini, but eventually maybe i can overcome my silly love affair with this thing and just wear an extra shirt like a normal homo sapien. I mean c'mon, it's not like I'm doing this...http://andrewskurka.com/adventures/alaska-yukon-expedition/

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
"Things you don't carry." on 04/16/2013 15:29:30 MDT Print View

I don't bring a change of clothes.
I don't bring a bag liner.
I don't bring a seat/chair.
I don't bring booze.
I don't bring water crossing or camp footwear- I just wear my trail runners.
I don't bring an umbrella.

But like someone else said, the list of things I do bring that other's here probably think are unnecessary is longer and more embarrassing. I'm a "light" backpacker, not a UL. It's a work in progress.