battery charger
Display Avatars Sort By:
Phillip Asby
(PGAsby) - M

Locale: North Carolina
Batteries on 04/16/2013 13:41:23 MDT Print View

I was about to recommend a Targus backup battery which is made for an ipad - and I use with my iphone - but it literally just died after roughly two uses so that is off the table. And I picked up a Zagg charger on clearance ... and it won't charge fully so I'd avoid that as well. I'm not batting very high with backup batteries it seems...

this really is a case where the old fashioned Kindle shines. If all she's doing is reading a book any tablet is overkill - I have a Nexus 7 and Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and both are battery hogs. Powering a tablet for the Kindle app is just a lot of horsepower when a plain old Kindle like my third generation will run for about a month on a charge....

You can spend anywhere from $60-$100 on a backup battery solution - which for a tablet you may or may not get a full charge but you'll get some - or $69 for a plain old Kindle or $119 for a Paperwhite (probably less than that if willing to look for a used one) and read to your hearts content for a month in the backcountry.

I've used my iPhone as a GPS on my bike and it is not an efficient solution for extended trips - the GPS is very power hungry. So I don't like it really as a multi use item - I ended up with a Garmin eTrex as it will run for 20 hours or so on user replaceable AA batteries versus 5-6 on the iPhone.

jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

Locale: Northern California
"battery charger" on 04/16/2013 13:50:04 MDT Print View

+1 on the kindle--and I'm anti-Amazon. (the company, not the...you know.)It does get great battery life. It's a tad heavier than a judiciously chosen paperback, but you do get to carry as many books as you want. Just put it in airplane mode! Or the battery will drain somewhat faster. I put mine inside of a cushioned mailer to protect from dust. It's surprisingly robust.

Or if you don't spend that much time reading, bring a pocket book.

Matthew Naylor
(mrnlegato)

Locale: Mid-Atlantic
Re: battery charger on 05/03/2013 12:55:29 MDT Print View

If anyone's still watching this post, I just found a relevant Kickstarter project for extra-high capacity chargers:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=76757&skip_to_post=655319#655319

steven franchuk
(Surf) - M
Re: battery charger on 05/03/2013 13:48:34 MDT Print View

Note bast on what I have read about the basic I pad mini I don't believe it has a GPS. Cel phones by law must provide the callers location so that in an emergeny they can be found. Cel phone can use GPS or triangulate off of several cel towers to meat the law requirement. Today most cel phones have GPS but not all do.

The Ipad mini is not a cel phone so it is not required to provide a location to emergency responders. So like most E-books it doesn't have any GPS in it. However my google search did find mention of the celular version of the I pad mini and that one does appear to have GPS capability.

As for a charger you might want to concider:

http://www.powerfilmsolar.com/products/?usbaa&show=product&productID=271506&productCategoryIDs=6578

Its a 4.9oz solar panel with 2AA batteries. To solar panel charges the batteries and the AA batteries power the USB port which can be used to carge a device with a USB port. The two AA batteries alone should have enough power to get the i pad mini up to about 90% charge or more (based on the batterery capacity of the I pad mini battery listed earlier). Solar plus AA batteries would probably allow it to fully charge the device in about 3 hours.

As to tablet battery life any tablet with a color screen will not have great battery life. This a because the color screen is an LCD panel that must have a back light. Kindel and other black and white readers use E ink displays that don't need a backlight. Since E0ink displays don't have back light there battereis last a lot longer. also to maximiz battery like turn off the wifi transmitter when it is not needed.

Edited by Surf on 05/03/2013 13:59:12 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: battery charger on 05/03/2013 13:52:04 MDT Print View

"Note bast on what I have read about the I pad mini I don't believe it has a GPS."

The cellular mini does have assisted GPS and GLONASS.

Edited by idester on 05/03/2013 13:54:11 MDT.

M W
(rcmike) - MLife

Locale: California
GPS on iPads on 05/03/2013 14:46:36 MDT Print View

Even if you don't get a data plan for it, you would want to get the cellular version of the iPad if you wanted to use it for GPS applications.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: GPS on iPads on 05/03/2013 14:54:46 MDT Print View

"Even if you don't get a data plan for it, you would want to get the cellular version of the iPad if you wanted to use it for GPS applications."

I might not. You can get an external GPS module instead and save the extra money that the cellular version costs. In fact, this may be preferable, as the external unit has a longer battery life, and can collect data without the iPad/iPhone being on, then dump the data to your device when you need it.

http://bad-elf.com/pages/be-gps-2200-detail

M W
(rcmike) - MLife

Locale: California
Bad Elf GPS Pro on 07/10/2013 14:37:47 MDT Print View

http://bad-elf.com/pages/be-gps-2200-detail

Looks pretty cool for an extra 90 grams.