Cuben groundsheet for Hexamid Twin
Display Avatars Sort By:
Nate Boyer
(NateB123) - F - MLife
Cuben groundsheet for Hexamid Twin on 04/15/2013 19:55:17 MDT Print View

I'm not used to carrying a groundsheet. This thing is 5-6 ounces and I'd like to find another use for it. Rain skirt? How would I rig that?

Anybody have any other ideas?

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Cuben groundsheet for Hexamid Twin on 04/15/2013 20:15:51 MDT Print View

If you haven't bought it yet, just go for the groundsheet/poncho.

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
groundsheet on 04/15/2013 20:21:08 MDT Print View

the twin groundsheet is 4.3 oz
And without a groundsheet of some type you will by lying in the mud if it has rained
The lightest you can do for a groundsheet would be about 1.5 oz polycryo or space blanket
So your delta is 2.8oz for the cuben groundsheet
It is more durable than those other choices
It provides kind of a bathtub floor to keep you dry
The sides help to block some rain splatter

The solo plus groundsheet can be had as a poncho-groundsheet, but weighs slightly more.

Nate Boyer
(NateB123) - F - MLife
tent on 04/15/2013 20:31:12 MDT Print View

I understand the benefits of a groundsheet. With this tent, it's required (mesh floor).
I own the cuben groundsheet....
I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas for other uses than just a groundsheet. I wish I could use it as a poncho.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: tent on 04/19/2013 13:21:09 MDT Print View

You could if you're willing to modify it. You don't have to sew, just use tape. Makes it easier for a lot of folks.

Jason Mahler
(jrmahler) - M

Locale: Michigan
Rain Skirt on 05/17/2013 20:42:30 MDT Print View

It seems like you could tape some loops in areas and use your bear bag rope to make a rain skirt or poncho without cutting it. You may also be able to use it as a tarp for mid day stops in the rain. I do this with Polycro, but it isn't super durable.

John Hillyer
(TrNameLucky) - MLife
Other uses for my cuben groundsheet for the Hexamid Twin on 06/04/2013 17:12:21 MDT Print View

I use it for:

-Putting under my inflatable mattress if I sleep in a shelter.
-Wearing in a laundry-mat when washing my clothes.

I have thought of using it to:

-collect rainwater for drinking.

Michael Gillenwater
(mwgillenwater) - M

Locale: Seattle area
Re: Other uses for my cuben groundsheet for the Hexamid Twin on 06/04/2013 21:36:20 MDT Print View

I like the idea of trying to use it as a rain kilt. I guess it might be too large for that, though. Thoughts?

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: tent on 06/05/2013 07:58:24 MDT Print View

" I understand the benefits of a groundsheet. With this tent, it's required (mesh floor).
I own the cuben groundsheet....
I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas for other uses than just a groundsheet. "

if you're trying to save a little weight, then cut out that silly mesh floor and sew in your cuben ground sheet permanently as a floor.

I never heard of a mesh floor, absolutely silly, probably exists so the manufacturer can simultaneously claim light weight and floor in the marketing, but again totally silly, either have a floor or don't have a floor.

Nate Boyer
(NateB123) - F - MLife
mesh on 06/11/2013 07:18:28 MDT Print View

"I never heard of a mesh floor, absolutely silly, probably exists so the manufacturer can simultaneously claim light weight and floor in the marketing, but again totally silly, either have a floor or don't have a floor."

lol!

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: mesh on 06/11/2013 08:33:38 MDT Print View

I still don't understand that one either.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: mesh on 06/11/2013 08:56:57 MDT Print View

I've had both Hexamids - all mesh and sewn in floor. I much prefer the all mesh. Rather than a marketing gimmick, I've always seen it as a compromise, that works for some people (like me), between a tarp and a fully enclosed tent/shelter. It's a bit more than a tarp/mid with netting sewn around the edges to droop to the ground, and a bit less than a shelter with a bathtub floor.

As far as another use for the cuben groundsheet - you can use it as a pack liner to keep the contents of your pack dry. If not using as a liner, in a pinch you could use it as a quick, makeshift tarp for a lunch break on a rainy day.

John Hillyer
(TrNameLucky) - MLife
Re: tent on 06/11/2013 09:13:12 MDT Print View

FYI-ZPacks sells a combo groundcloth/poncho.

John Hillyer
(TrNameLucky) - MLife
Re: Re: Other uses for my cuben groundsheet for the Hexamid Twin on 06/11/2013 09:19:07 MDT Print View

You need to fold the Hexamid Twin groundsheet twice to get it down to rain kilt size. That makes 4 layers of 1 oz cuben: would think it would be too hot and to much of a pain to use.

John Hillyer
(TrNameLucky) - MLife
Re: mesh on 06/11/2013 09:39:36 MDT Print View

I find it nice to be able to remove the groundsheet from the tent. It allows you to use the groundsheet when you are cowboy camping and to put it under an inflatable mattress pad in a shelter. Also storing the tent and the groundsheet separately would make storage more compact: I don't usually take the time to separate them but you could. If none of the above applies to you, having it sewed in would save a few grams...about 30 grams would be my guess (weight savings of .7 oz per square yard for the size of the bottom of the groundsheet minus the weight of the thread and seam sealing tape).

Steve Meier
(smeier) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
combo on 06/11/2013 13:09:51 MDT Print View

I like having the cubin groundsheet sewin in for the convenience and to keep the remaining mesh clean and free of dirt & debris You give up some of the versatility of not being seperate but not much. If cowboy sleeping or in a shelter, I just sleep on top of the entire folded tent to stay off the ground/shelter floor.

Nate Boyer
(NateB123) - F - MLife
combo on 06/11/2013 13:30:11 MDT Print View

Did you have zpacks sew it in?
So... you don't have the mesh on the bottom anymore?

Aaron Davis
(ardavis324) - F
Groundsheet/poncho... on 07/07/2013 10:50:38 MDT Print View

Now comes in Twin sized..

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/groundsheet_poncho.shtml

Nick Larsen
(stingray4540) - F

Locale: South Bay
Re: Cuben groundsheet for Hexamid Twin on 08/06/2013 21:08:50 MDT Print View

Use it as a pack cover, and get rid of your pack liner(or cover)?

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: mesh on 08/12/2013 23:12:13 MDT Print View

"I still don't understand that one either."

Its not that hard to understand or figure out - *full* enclosure keeps out mosquitoes and ticks and other potentially problematic insects (tic protection is very important in certain places like Ventanna wilderness where I go a lot). Condensation will roll down the tarp then drip *through* screen at the edges, so will almost never will be a real issue almost no matter what. IMHO, based on my experiences with both issues a smart and novel solution. Best of both worlds. Not the only one, but very creative. Plus you can choose your groundsheet depending on the conditions you expect, or if you will be sharing the shelter with someone. Or you can just do cowboy camping when condition are right using the *removable* groundsheet. About as good as it gets in a single shelter. That kind of flexibility is worth the extra couple of oz to me. I love mine.

My twin ground sheet is 4.2 oz not 5-6 oz.

Also FYI, the screen isn't really lighter than the cuben, so that was never the point.

The zpacks ground sheets have loops in them already, so even without the rain poncho version you could probably rig up something creative as far as rain protection or pack cover if that sort of thing floats your boat. Sun awning for afternoon stop..and so on.

Joe has done a triple crown, and some other long distance stuff, so I'm guessing he may have learned a thing or two about what works, so may not be the smartest decision to dismiss the idea off hand just because it seems different on first blush. A lot of people who have actually *used* the design appreciate it quite a bit. They don't have such big following and a long waiting list for nothing.

Edited by millonas on 08/12/2013 23:49:13 MDT.