The Truth About Exercise M. Mosley
Display Avatars Sort By:
Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Intensity on 04/18/2013 10:56:53 MDT Print View

"One of the biggest drawbacks to this sort of exercise is that people who do not have an existing base of fitness are going to be very injury prone."

Big time agreement here.

Galen Rupp's coach, Alberto Salazar, has been coaching him since he started high school. A big focus in his training is to carefully watch and monitor the high intensity workouts. As a result, Rupp has had very few injuries compared to other elite distance runners.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Intensity on 04/18/2013 11:10:29 MDT Print View

It sucks but one has to work in their discomfort zone to improve their physical ability. Whether that be endurance, strength, or a combination of the two. Exercise is easy. Training is not.

Tabata works well and I used it in the past prior to Alpine Climbs. I quickly got the nickname...The Goat...for how steady and consistent I could climb. But it was brutal training. It hurt. A lot. I hated it but the improvements were very measurable.

Paul Mountford
(Sparticus) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic Canada
Re: Re: Re: Tabata training on 04/18/2013 11:21:35 MDT Print View

"Losing weight is mostly about how many calories you intake and expend each day. Seems most people want to exercise a few minutes each day and continue with their normal diet."

Bang on Nick - at least for me. I lost 20 lbs from Jan to Mar. I used the Lose It app to track my calorie intake. You lose weight by eating less calories than you body needs. The advantage of the exercise is that it increases the base number of calories that you can consume during the day so that you don't feel hungry while you lose the weight. So you actually end up feeding your exercise.

William Segraves
(sbill9000) - F - M
Re: HIIT Training on 04/19/2013 19:55:29 MDT Print View

Fwiw, a few observations suggested by my own experience, using HIIT as one of several training tools:

It's not something to be done casually or as the way to start getting in shape. If a friend wanted to start doing HIIT, I'd urge a check-up and doctor's advice first.

It really is "brutally unpleasant," but for some reason I find it much less aversive than longer intervals at lower intensity. I've wondered whether it may be because the worst feeling (at least for me) comes after a given interval is over, early in the rest phase. Anyone else observed this?

A good training foundation before starting HIIT, warm-up before doing HIIT and cool-down afterwards, adequate recovery time and rest in between workouts, and avoiding spending too many days/weeks in a cycle of HIIT are all important.

"If you want to hike far and fast, you have to train doing both."

Well, it depends on what you mean by "far and fast," but it's quite possible to prep well for continuous mountainous 20-25 mile days with twice-weekly hikes of ~ 5-6 miles plus a robust aerobic conditioning program that can be based in part on HIIT. It's a useful approach, since most people can't spend the time for 20-25 mile days during the training phase.

Cheers,

Bill S.

Bradley Danyluk
(dasbin) - MLife
Caloric weight loss on 04/19/2013 20:03:08 MDT Print View

Just a quick note on the calorie burning. It's actually not quite that simple when HIIT is involved. Researches noted a higher base metabolic rate (ie burning calories faster) even up to 12 hours after a HIIT session, something not seem with normal exercise. They talk about how you can be sitting on the couch for hours after a HIIT session and be actively losing weight.