Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » MYO Chouinard Expedition Sewing Kit, 0.9 oz and under $10

Display Avatars Sort By:
Daniel Collins
(Diablo-V) - F

Locale: Orlando FL
cotter pins on 09/02/2013 04:17:36 MDT Print View

I found 18 of them, 3.25 inch counting the staggered end which can be cut off.

Kevin Beeden
(captain_paranoia) - F

Locale: UK
It's a sewing kit... on 09/04/2013 11:48:43 MDT Print View

7075 aircraft spec aluminium, mil-spec, cadmium-plated cotter pins...

Isn't this all just a bit OTT for a sewing kit...?

Daniel Collins
(Diablo-V) - F

aluminum? on 09/04/2013 21:25:05 MDT Print View

There is no such thing as a Cad plated aluminum anything.
Cad is for steel. Anodizing and Alodine is for aluminum.
There are no aluminum cotter pins used on any aircraft that I know of,
and there is no mil-spec for aluminum cotter pins.
Sorry to go off topic.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: MYO Chouinard Expedition Sewing Kit, 0.9 oz and under $10 on 09/05/2013 00:39:21 MDT Print View

I have one of the original kits. Carried it in my pack for years and never used it once. It is now in my museum (the garage) with all the old stuff -- you know, analyze your gear and remove anything you don't use.

Chounaird sewing kit

Kevin Beeden
(captain_paranoia) - F

Punctuation is important... on 09/05/2013 04:25:24 MDT Print View

> There is no such thing as a Cad plated aluminum anything.

Excuse my poor punctuation; it was meant to be a list of two items that had been mentioned in the thread, only I used a comma instead of a semi-colon....

7075 aircraft spec aluminium; mil-spec, cadmium-plated cotter pins...

Daniel Collins
(Diablo-V) - F

no problem on 09/05/2013 04:45:52 MDT Print View

No problem, but actually I would like to find an aluminum pin vise for my kit to save weight....... will have to check the RC hobby store here.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: cotter pin overkill on 09/05/2013 07:28:57 MDT Print View

What about an aluminum rod instead of the pin? Piece of titanium tent stake?

Daniel Collins
(Diablo-V) - F

titanium on 09/05/2013 08:21:42 MDT Print View

Excellent idea

John McAlpine
(HairlessApe) - M

Locale: PNW
Stupid question here.... on 09/05/2013 10:00:12 MDT Print View

What is the cotter pin for? I don't know why I'd need that for sewing. Sorry for being so clueless on the subject.

Kevin Beeden
(captain_paranoia) - F

Cotter pin on 09/05/2013 12:04:29 MDT Print View

The cotter pin is to provide something to spread the load in the hand, when using the pin vice to hold a sturdy needle when sewing tough materials such as leather, as you might have to for repairs.

The whole pin vice thing is a solution, but it's not the only one. I'm sure traditional leather workers didn't, and don't use a pin vice; an awl of some sort is used. The pin vice and cotter pin provides the same function as an awl, in a lightweight form, using things that a tinkerer might find lying around in a workshop... To then take these things and make them from aircraft-grade aluminium, and cadmium-plated steel isn't really great product design or engineering, as it's not really addressing the actual design problem, just replaing the tinkerer's solution with over-engineered versions of what was lying about...

John Brown
(johnbrown2005) - F

Locale: Portland, OR
Re: Re: MYO Chouinard Expedition Sewing Kit, 0.9 oz and under $10 on 09/05/2013 16:24:50 MDT Print View

Nick, can you post the dimensions of the case of the original kit? Thx!

Rex Sanders
(Rex) - M

Locale: Central California Coast
Cotter pin - part 2 on 09/05/2013 23:05:18 MDT Print View

Cotter pin also was in the original kit to help re-thread drawstrings that had slipped out of continuous fabric channels.

Examples: the drawstring around the top of a sleeping bag, stuff sack, or some packs.

You pull some of the drawstring through the head of the cotter pin, then inchworm the cotter pin around the channel.

Needed more often back in the days when we tied knots in drawstrings, instead of carrying those heavy cord locks. Sometimes your knot would slip while tugging on the string - and suddenly you have a handful of string and no easy way to close the opening.

So the cotter pin fills two functions – multi-use! Replacing the cotter pin with a solid rod, loses the re-thread function.

-- Rex

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Cotter pin - part 2 on 09/06/2013 06:17:13 MDT Print View

You could carry a bodkin or use a sailmakers needle for the threading purpose too.

Morgan Rucks
(rucksmtr) - F
cotter pin on 09/06/2013 11:22:56 MDT Print View

The cotter pin is also a spare for replacing a lost one on an external frame pack.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

MY WIFE WON'T LET ME GO BACKPACKING THIS WEEKEND OR GO INTO THE GARAGE on 09/07/2013 11:56:58 MDT Print View

"Nick, can you post the dimensions of the case of the original kit? Thx!"

John, I missed your post. I will try to sneak into the garage this weekend and locate it for measurements. I thought I was going backpacking this weekend, but she won't let me. I explain later.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: MY WIFE WON'T LET ME GO BACKPACKING THIS WEEKEND OR GO INTO THE GARAGE on 09/07/2013 15:51:05 MDT Print View

Time to finished remodeling the inside Nick.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: MY WIFE WON'T LET ME GO BACKPACKING THIS WEEKEND OR GO INTO THE GARAGE on 09/07/2013 16:57:08 MDT Print View

Thanks to the modern wonder of technology, yesterday at 5pm my computer, iPhone, and iPad all simultaneously reminded me that today is our anniversary -- just in time, before I told her I was going backpacking :)

Also, a couple months ago it reminded me to buy gifts :)

Edited by ngatel on 09/07/2013 16:59:51 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: MYO Chouinard Expedition Sewing Kit, 0.9 oz and under $10 on 09/07/2013 17:44:50 MDT Print View

I love this idea, and I went to my favorite tool supply (Hardwick's in Seattle) and got a pin vise with 3 different sized collets (the part that grabs inside) for $2.99 and a stainless steel cotter pin for $0.60. The pin vise came with a 2" long extension on the end which I cut off and smoothed the base. The cross hole was too small for a decent size cotter pin and I drilled it out to suit. I also smoothed the tip of the cotter pin so it wouldn't catch or scratch things. That's a standard sewing needle in the vise in the photo. Weight as shown in 0.55oz/15g. An aluminum vise would be great.

I have a "hotel freebie" sewing kit with needles, thread and spare buttons to add. I would add this to a small bag or box with duct tape, safety pins, a small roll of 26ga wire, light braided line, and a small tube of Super Glue. I'm going to look for some heavier sewing machine needles too.

Pin vise for sewing kit.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: MY WIFE WON'T LET ME GO BACKPACKING THIS WEEKEND OR GO INTO THE GARAGE on 09/08/2013 17:07:12 MDT Print View

"Nick, can you post the dimensions of the case of the original kit? Thx!"

Empty and flat it is 3 3/4" tall and 2 7/8" wide.

I scanned the instructions for the awl and also included a picture of the kit contents. I don't know if the instructions will be good enough to read in the post.

Unfortunately when I was taking everything out I dropped one of the "sewing machine" needles and it rolled under a bookcase. Now someone owes me a beer :)

Chouinard sewing instructions

Chouinard sewing kit contents

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: "Hotel Freebie" sewing kits on 09/08/2013 19:21:04 MDT Print View

I was having visions of Nick's wife at the back door to the garage with a can of bear spray in hand:)

FYI, if anyone wants those "hotel freebie" sewing kits, you can get them at http://www.minimus.biz/Easy-Mending-Kit-J01-0459902-8104.aspx as well as a ziliion other travel size goodies. They have lots of meds, first aid and food items. IIRC, they have free shipping if you spend $20, which isn't hard :)