Forum Index » GEAR » Made in USA day pack.

Display Avatars Sort By:
Rocco Speranza
(Mechrock)

Locale: Western NC Mtns
Made in USA day pack. on 04/15/2013 07:43:36 MDT Print View

My friend is looking for a Day pack that is made in the USA. He probably only wants to spend around $100, not sure. He likes the Osprey packs, but of course they aren't made in the US.

I've looked though, places like GG, ULA, and zpacks, but nothing he wants there.
Any where else I might be missing?

Mark Andrews
(buldogge) - F

Locale: Midwest
CiloGear? on 04/15/2013 07:57:04 MDT Print View

How bout a CiloGear Worksack?

Made in Portland.

$69-500 depending on what he wants...

-Mark in St. Louis

Shawn Peyton
(alifeoutdoors) - F - MLife

Locale: Washburn, WI
US made day pack on 04/15/2013 08:18:33 MDT Print View

Try Granite Gear. They have several decent day packs. Made in the northwoods of Minnesota :)

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Made in USA day pack. on 04/15/2013 08:21:51 MDT Print View

Gossamer Gear minimalist daypack.

http://gossamergear.com/packs/backpacks/minimalist.html

Rocco Speranza
(Mechrock)

Locale: Western NC Mtns
Granite Gear Looking good on 04/15/2013 08:26:38 MDT Print View

Thanks for the replies!
I think the ones from Granite Gear would be more what he's looking at.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: US made day pack on 04/15/2013 09:06:24 MDT Print View

My Granite Gear pack was made in Puerto Rico. Their packs are not made in the USA.

www.rivendellmountainworks.com, made in the USA.

pack nwcurt
(curtpeterson) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Made in USA day pack on 04/15/2013 09:11:19 MDT Print View

I'm a big fan of Granite Gear packs, but they are no longer made in the US. Like most big name backpacks, they're sewn in Vietnam now.

Shawn Peyton
(alifeoutdoors) - F - MLife

Locale: Washburn, WI
well damn on 04/15/2013 09:20:36 MDT Print View

My mighty local heart is broken.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
PR on 04/15/2013 09:40:49 MDT Print View

Puerto Rico is a US Territory. They are U.S. Citizens.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: PR on 04/15/2013 09:45:16 MDT Print View

And they vote in US elections.

They keep thinking about becoming the 51st state, but politically never seems to happen. No need to break your locally-made heart, you are still buying American made.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: well damn on 04/15/2013 09:55:16 MDT Print View

Funny enough, I happened to notice just the other day that my old ULA pack, which I absolutely love and have used for 10 years, has a tiny "Made In Canada" on it. Even Cottage industries aren't fully localizable anymore. And what about the country of manufacture of the materials, especially the fabric which can be argued contains most of the technological (as well as the actual) substance. These will usually not be manufactured in the US, though they might have been invented and marketed here.

This is not to mentioned the ex "Saudi Arabian" dinosaurs who came up with the raw materials. They should at least get a tag, or something ;)

Leaving aside the question of whether the "political" principle is even valid, from the practical point of view it may, for most products with any technical components, be moot. Cottage industries are *more*, not less susceptible to the need to purchase their materials and manufacturing from elsewhere once they start producing more than a few items per month. If you bought all the materials to hand make your own pack, would that be truly "made in America". I think not.

Edited by millonas on 04/15/2013 10:04:03 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: well damn on 04/15/2013 10:03:40 MDT Print View

"This is not to mentioned the ex "Saudi Arabian" dinosaurs who came up with the raw materials. They should at least get a tag, or something ;)"

I'm pretty sure Gossamer Gear only sources from U.S. dinosaurs....

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Made in USA day pack. on 04/15/2013 10:14:36 MDT Print View

MLD

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: Re: well damn on 04/15/2013 10:17:23 MDT Print View

I have one of those crazy 3 oz GG day packs I think the SUL folks like to go out in. Its all Silnylon plus a few threads. Even if it were in fact sewn in the USA, by weight, and possibly actual net work, it would still be %99.99 NOT made in the USA.

On the other hand ... I once owned a Toyota Corolla that was %100 manufactured in the USA.

However....I think all the companies mentioned so far would, in spite of this, be consider homegrown and hence acceptable to the OPs friend.

Edited by millonas on 04/15/2013 10:19:18 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: PR on 04/15/2013 10:30:47 MDT Print View

PR is not a state, last time I checked.

Regardless, Granite Gear's packs are now made in China.

Is that part of the US or is it the other way around?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: PR on 04/15/2013 10:32:29 MDT Print View

"Is that part of the US or is it the other way around?"

Oh gosh, definitely the other way around! They own lots of our debt, and they're buying up our buildings....

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: PR on 04/15/2013 11:00:09 MDT Print View

"PR is not a state, last time I checked."

$%!+ just got real!

While PR, Guam, US Virgin Islands, and the Northern Mariana Islands are normally called U.S. territories, they are states under the law. There are a few things which make them distinguishable from the other 50 states but for the purposes of interstate commerce and citizenship, you can call them 'Merican.

INA 101(a)(36)

If you really want to get lost in the mundane....

America Samoa and Swains Island are outlying possessions and they are considered U.S. Nationals (distinct from U.S. Citizens.) They do not enjoy the full benefit of citizenship.

v/r

Ian

EDIT +1 the other way around for sure!

Edited by IDBLOOM on 04/15/2013 11:02:54 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: PR on 04/15/2013 11:03:37 MDT Print View

"There are a few things which make them distinguishable from the other 50 states but for the purposes of interstate commerce and citizenship, you can call them 'Merican."

Holy SH%T! Ricky Martin is American?

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Made in USA day pack. on 04/15/2013 11:07:23 MDT Print View

A noble quest, but even if he gets a pack sewn in the US, chances are the fabric and hardware will be made elsewhere. We live in a global economy!

dan mchale
(wildlife) - MLife

Locale: Cascadia
Tom Bihn in Seattle on 04/15/2013 12:06:50 MDT Print View

Try a buddy of mine in Seattle. Tom Bihn makes some very nice stuff. They have a website and sell direct. It's made in Seattle in their very own factory!

Edited by wildlife on 04/15/2013 12:08:11 MDT.