High Efficiency Pots: Optimus Terra Weekend .95L & Olicamp XTS 1L?
Display Avatars Sort By:
E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England
Sectionhiker review of Esbit HE alcohol cookset with pot, lid, alcohol stove and stand on 04/16/2013 23:17:01 MDT Print View

Phil at Sectionhiker has a review of the Esbit HE alcohol cookset. It's quite heavy and could be significantly lightened by using a lighter lid, lighter pot stand and lighter stove (and for that matter, lighter HE pot of similar size if one is available - the Optimus Terra Weekend .95L pot may lighter according to a retailer who said it weighs only 4.1-2 ounces.

I also think the windscreen pot stand is not going to be effective as a windscreen - way too many windows/holes.

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Re: Sectionhiker review of Esbit HE alcohol cookset with pot, lid, alcohol stove and stand on 04/17/2013 03:50:55 MDT Print View

Yes, Philip does some nice reviews. When you are trying to get companies to send you gear, you would NEVER say their product performs poorly. You would say it performed as "well as expected" or choose conditions where it performed "fairly well." Philip does a good job threading that needle. I sort of doubt he will carry it on a regular basis, though.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Esbit Cook Set CS585HA on 04/17/2013 07:29:32 MDT Print View

I own this non HE cook set from Esbit. Of the few systems I own, this one has the worst performance.

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
Weekender HE weights online here on 04/17/2013 13:21:56 MDT Print View

EJ, I edited my first post, inserting the weights and photos of the Weekender HE pot. I didn't spring out the handles because they're nice and snug right now... and I've seen 'em get loose by removal on another's pot.

The Weekender set weighs more than the Fire Maple/Olicamp, but the lower pot is lighter by a good margin. If you come up with a great, light lid that will snap-on or can be secured, please show us!