"Heads Up! Watch For The Northern Lights Tonight"
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
"Heads Up! Watch For The Northern Lights Tonight" on 04/13/2013 14:12:35 MDT Print View

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/04/13/177138779/heads-up-watch-for-the-northern-lights-tonight?utm_source=NPR&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=20130413

Something I miss from living in Upstate NY. I've never seen them here in Washington.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: "Heads Up! Watch For The Northern Lights Tonight" on 04/14/2013 09:57:42 MDT Print View

Where did you live in upstate NY?

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Upstate on 04/14/2013 11:09:24 MDT Print View

I was stationed at Ft. Drum but lived on the St. Lawrence in Clayton which is between Alexandria Bay and Cape Vincent.

Best experience I ever had with the northern lights was during an airfield seizure training exercise. At the time we were using our PVS-7s and providing security for the engineers as they cleared the land mines on the runway. For those who may read this (other than Douglascide) who aren't familiar with how night vision typically works, it takes the ambient light and magnifies its intensity. A cigarette will appear to be a bonfire.

That evening was one of the most spectacular displays of the northern lights I'd ever seen and wearing night vision only added to the effect. I was in the rear of the patrol and all you could see was the silhouettes of dozens of soldiers looking up at the sky! Probably not the most secure event ever but memorable.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 04/14/2013 11:32:40 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Upstate on 04/14/2013 15:00:08 MDT Print View

Ah, Drum, yes. Went there on assignment but was never assigned there. I grew up in Lake George, quite a bit to the east and a bit south. Also lived in Rochester for a short bit.