Forum Index » GEAR » Bear Canisters (when they're required)

Display Avatars Sort By:
Tom Bryan
(SamBryan) - MLife
Bear Canisters (when they're required) on 06/23/2005 11:59:59 MDT Print View

I'm planning a trip to New York's Adirondack Mountains, and they may soon require non-pliable bear cannisters.
http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/reg5/bckcntrybears.html

In the event that I have to use one, Which one would you recommend?

Thanks!
Tom

Edited by SamBryan on 06/23/2005 12:00:52 MDT.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
bear cannisters on 06/23/2005 15:04:52 MDT Print View

depends on the amount of time that you will be out. For the lightest week long one you can use a Bearikade or for 3-4 days Bearvault has one that weighs in at 30 oz and is half the size of other cannisters. Garcia has one too but weighs in at almost 3 lbs.

Mike Storesund
(mikes) - F
Bear Vault on 06/24/2005 10:28:11 MDT Print View

Right now, Until July 2, REI has an in store sale on BearVault. Normally $79.95 now $59.99.

Verndal Lee
(JAGC) - F

Locale: Pacific NW
BearVault on 06/27/2005 14:09:51 MDT Print View

Mike -

I just checked the REI internet site and could not find the BearVault on-sale. The Garcia was on sale for $55.00, though.

I like the BearVault as it's clear and you can see the contents. Is this feature really important? Or do most people simply empty their container to find what they need?

Am planning my first trip where there's a possibility of bears....ought to be interesting.

Mike Storesund
(mikes) - F
Web sale vs. Store sale on 06/27/2005 14:39:47 MDT Print View

I also checked the rei.com web site and did not find Bearvault on sale. Like I posted, it was an in-store sale until July 2nd for $59.99. This is also the sale price at Wilderness Dining

EDIT - Ooops... the one that is $69.99 at the Wilderness Dining link above is the one that REI has on sale for $59.99.

Yes it is clear, and the twist off lid makes me a little skeptical, but I would like to be able to see what I am looking for rather than dump everything out.

Edited by mikes on 06/27/2005 14:43:15 MDT.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Bearvault on 06/27/2005 15:05:45 MDT Print View

The twist off is not too bad once you get the hang of it. The beauty of the Bearvault is the weight which of course is lighter than our wonderful Garcia Cannister. For those that are interested, Bearvault is now offering a 3-4 day version which weighs in at 30 oz. It is the same width but is shorter than the regular version.

Mike Storesund
(mikes) - F
Bearvault Twist Off on 06/27/2005 15:20:03 MDT Print View

I didn't think the twist off cap used with the Bearvault was difficult at all. In fact I thought it was extremely easy, that was why I am skeptical of how well it works with bears.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Bearvault on 06/27/2005 17:30:51 MDT Print View

Gotcha. Well they have been approved (not sure if it is still conditionally or not) for Yosemite and Seki. Both of these agencies are quite tough on polices whenit comes to cannisters.

(Anonymous)
uh, question on 06/28/2005 19:01:48 MDT Print View

Around Yellowstone, we hang our food etc. Are there now places where you must have a bear canister and where hanging stuff isn't accepted?

Thanks.

Tom Bryan
(SamBryan) - MLife
Bear cannister requirements on 06/29/2005 05:50:29 MDT Print View

Yes, some places require "non-pliable bear cannisters". For example, a regulation is being proposed for New York's Adirondack Mountain wilderness areas. See the proposed requirement at:

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/reg5/bckcntrybears.html

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Bear Cannisters on 06/29/2005 09:30:39 MDT Print View

These nasty add-ons are mandatory in most areas of these National Parks in California:

Yosemite
Sequoia
Kings Canyon

AND they must be one of the SBBIG "approved" or "tentatively approved" models. See http://www.sierrawildbear.net/foodstorage/index.htm

Edited by wandering_bob on 06/29/2005 09:31:57 MDT.