Display Avatars Sort By:
whalen e
(whalen) - M

Locale: PNW
FS: Montbell Alpine Light jacket $50 on 04/12/2013 09:39:02 MDT Print View

$50 shipped.

SOLD SOLD SOLD

Jacket

This is a Montbell Alpine Light jacket that has been MODIFIED into an anorak. It used to be an XL and was reduced in the belly area to a size Large. Measurements from pit to pit are the same XL measurements, 25". But the waist tapers down to 24 inches.

Basically, I wanted to tailor a boxy XL jacket to my size. So I cut out the bottom half of the zipper and sewed the bottom half together for a trimmer fit. It was done by hand, not machine.

The zipper is 10.5 inches long.

Inside

No alteration to the sleeves or hood, only the belly.

However, THERE ARE NO POCKETS AT ALL. I had intended to make one long down filled hand warmer and sew it to the zipper openings on the inside but never got around to it.

AND, in the zealous spirit of gram counting I (stupidly) removed some tags and the fleece strip along the collar. I don't notice that it is gone but it does mean the seams are visible.

Collar

Reasons why you should buy this jacket:
1) It is still an 800 fill Montbell jacket. Cosmetically, it is no longer perfect but it will keep you warm as hell.
2) It is cheap. At $50 you can afford to have a second (or perhaps third) down jacket. And you won't have to baby it because you paid only a fraction of the price.
3) With the jacket on, you won't be able to tell it has been tampered with. Only evidence is on the inside. (See photo)
4) You're a big guy and usually wear an XL but don't have a beer belly.

Reasons why you shouldn't:
1) It has no pockets anywhere.
2) The sewing was done by hand and not a professional seamstress
3) You don't have $50

If you buy the jacket and it doesn't fit, and you are willing to pay for return shipping, I'll give full refund.

Please write me any questions you have.

ThxToggleZipperZip

Edited by whalen on 04/12/2013 11:37:33 MDT.

Dustin Short
(upalachango) - MLife
Re: FS: Montbell Alpine Light jacket $50 on 04/12/2013 10:06:59 MDT Print View

With your gram shaving what's the new weight (may be another item to add to your reasons to buy).

If I wasn't too small for the jacket I think not having to baby an Alpine Light alone would be worth snagging it. This would make a great dirt bagger's puffy.

Good luck!

whalen e
(whalen) - M

Dirt Bagger's Puffy on 04/12/2013 10:15:40 MDT Print View

Dirt Bagger's Puffy! I love it.

I don't know what the xl parka weighed before but here's the weight now with montbell stuff sack.Weight

brian H
(B14) - M

Locale: Siskiyou Mtns
DBP Dirtbagger Puffy discussion on 04/12/2013 10:30:28 MDT Print View

whalen,

i applaud your ingenuity here...nice execution.
i am curious, since you dont know the before n after weights, what was your intent, if not gram shaving? was it function? and if so, why remove the pockets?
i am also curious to know what you have learned from the project?

it seems that it would take some serious dirtbagger huevos to perform ZBS - zipper bypass surgery on a MB A-L Parka!
;)

whalen e
(whalen) - M

Good questions on 04/12/2013 11:01:30 MDT Print View

Damn good questions Brian. Thx.

My intial intent was to custom fit the jacket. I'm a big but fit guy and so I'm in between L and XL sizes. Either sleeves too short or belly too roomy. So I figured the best way was to trim an XL. Make it into an anorak. So I left 10.5 inches of zipper and sewed the tracks to block it. On the bottom half I took in I believe 1 or 1.5 inches on each side (this was done last year so don't recall exact details). Nice and trim but enough room to pullover a midweight merino. Stitched two sides together on inside.

But anyone who has attempted a DIY project or alteration knows that there is always something you didn't think through. For me, it was the pockets. So I did away with them altogether thinking I would return and sew in my own down tube. But never got around to it.

When the alteration was complete, I started wondering what else I could shave off to save weight. And Man, once you start cutting, it's hard to stop. So tags and collar fleece came off! It was unnecessary but ultimately harmless.

This project happened when I was making that transition from Lightweight to Ultralight weight backpacking. I wasn't warm enough with a Montbell UL inner jacket sometimes so I started eyeing my Alpine Light, which i absolutely love for its warmth. But I have since reverted back to lightweight (10.5 lb base weight is my sweet spot).

To be honest, I'm selling this jacket because I miss pockets and I found that the Montbell large fits me fine. So this anorak project sits in my closet. I'm hoping to find it a new home because fundamentally its still a great jacket.

Final Thought: the project gave me mad respect for those who are talented with needle and thread.

Thx for your questions.

Edited by whalen on 04/12/2013 11:05:02 MDT.

Richard Mock
(moxtr) - M

Locale: The piney woods
Re: FS: Montbell Alpine Light jacket $50 on 04/12/2013 11:05:27 MDT Print View

what happened to the pockets ? can they be restored ?

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: FS: Montbell Alpine Light jacket $50 on 04/12/2013 11:12:15 MDT Print View

nm.................

Edited by funnymoney on 04/12/2013 11:22:31 MDT.

whalen e
(whalen) - M

Pockets on 04/12/2013 11:15:04 MDT Print View

Pockets have sadly gone to pocket heaven. The pocket zippers are still intact and fine. I kept them zipped up to block wind. You can unzip them and stick your hands through but there is nothing there. I originally was going to make a down hand muff, where both ends are open, and then stitch it inside which would have been warmer than pockets but I never did. It would be a good DIY project and completely feasible. But for now, no pockets

Edited by whalen on 04/12/2013 11:16:06 MDT.