Forum Index » GEAR » Does Clothing Count?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Daniel Pittman
(pitsy) - M

Locale: Central Texas
Screw kilts, I'm bringing back the loincloth! on 04/12/2013 23:03:55 MDT Print View

Thought about it all day, and although I'm half British, my ancestors were all from England or Wales. Not likely to be a single drop of Scottish blood in me.

However, I was married into an Indian family. My ex-wife is half Crow, quarter Navajo, and an eighth each of Hopi and Laguna. I feel perfectly OK claiming my right to wear traditional-style clothing of the northern plains Indians, namely the breechclout also known as a loincloth. And in the fashion of the Laguna and Navajo tribes of the southwest, I will wear heavy hide leggings to protect me from snakebite. And I've always admired how Acoma women carry water jugs, called Olla, on their heads....

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Screw kilts, I'm bringing back the loincloth! on 04/13/2013 01:48:33 MDT Print View

Rock that loincloth Daniel, rock the loincloth, rock the loincloth, but she may really not like it...

Indians? Indians come from India. Native Americans and various tribes of same come from the America's. I'm not a big fan of calling Native Americans "Indians", as that label hearkens back to ignorant days of Amero-Euros and their dismissive terms and views of the people they stole land and life from. I've had an issue with this since young, even 9 or 10, for some reason.

Daniel Pittman
(pitsy) - M

Re: Re: Screw kilts, I'm bringing back the loincloth! on 04/13/2013 07:53:53 MDT Print View

"Indians? Indians come from India. Native Americans and various tribes of same come from the America's. I'm not a big fan of calling Native Americans "Indians", as that label hearkens back to ignorant days of Amero-Euros and their dismissive terms and views of the people they stole land and life from. I've had an issue with this since young, even 9 or 10, for some reason."

You sound white.

Look man, I've spent a lot of time among Indians. 'Indian' is a word they themselves use to collectively describe the indigenous peoples of the North American continent. If you're talking about a particular tribe, use the name of the tribe. Or even better, learn some words and phrases in their language.

May the Creator bless you and protect you, Aho!
Daniel

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Does Clothing Count? on 04/13/2013 11:38:03 MDT Print View

Some years ago, the late mystery writer Tony Hillerman was part of a panel discussion among New Mexico Indians (Hillerman was an honorary member of the Navajo Nation). He asked the other participants whether they preferred to be called Indians or Native Americans. The response was that his fellow panel members weren't "native," they just immigrated quite a few thousand years before the Europeans arrived. One member added that he was just thankful that Columbus wasn't looking for Turkey!

Back to our regularly scheduled programming. I list the stuff I wear or carry for a number of reasons: First, I want to be sure I don't have any unnecessary duplication between the two categories of clothing worn and clothing carried.. Second, my bum knee and my deformed feet (my weak points) have to carry everything on me, not just my pack. Third, my most significant weight savings the past few years, except shelter, have been in the items I wear or carry (boots to trail runners and clunky aluminum trekking poles to carbon fiber poles). These weight savings did make a considerable difference! Fourth, my gear list is also my check-off list for trips. If I have an overnight trip to the trailhead and don't wear my hiking clothing to travel in, I'm liable to leave my it behind (I did that once and had to spend half a day shopping).

YMMV, of course!

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: Re: Re: Screw kilts, I'm bringing back the loincloth! on 04/13/2013 21:05:00 MDT Print View

Indians...

DNA research has come a long way in the past 5 years.

The science is here to explain it. High level summary. Native American Indians, Canadian First People, south American Indians. They have a genetic trail. 6 waves of migrations from east Asia. Some over the arctic alaska land bridge, some by sea on the pacific ocean. Just like the Japanese Tsunami wreckage washed up 3 months later on the US west coast.

But the interesting thing is about 10,000+ years ago, the Indians from India, similar to the Roma indian gypsies, went north to China, further north to Russia, mixed with the locals then moved a little further north then east to the Americas.

Then with the Spaniards in North America, that brought in a cocktail of the genetic Moors (arabs) to the mix of the Chinese and Hindu indians to what is now known as the the Native Americans Indians.

Weirdness is that some Mexicans genetic tests came out with Russians ancestry, before the lab adjusted for the variance.

Even stranger is that native american indians have some ancester roots to Hindu India. Sort of explains how Columbus jumped to that eroneous conclusion.

Testing is a lot cheaper now, about $50. They send you a qtip to swab the inside of your mouth.

Edited by RogerDodger on 04/13/2013 21:14:56 MDT.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Indians with european ancestry on 04/13/2013 21:18:28 MDT Print View

Ready a study a while back where some Indians out east are likely descendants of Europeans. The theory is that some crossed the ocean in a primitive boats and slept on ice flow. I'm going to try and find it as it was pretty interesting and I wouldn't mind re reading it.

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F - M

Locale: Oregon
Kilts Vs. Loincloths. on 04/13/2013 21:21:16 MDT Print View

Daniel,
I think you may have started a new trend among FORMER kilt wearers! Love how Mr. Connery pairs the loin cloth with a new pair of Solomon S-Lab boots!

sean

Edited by bigfoot2 on 04/13/2013 21:23:03 MDT.

Daniel Pittman
(pitsy) - M

Hollow log on 04/13/2013 22:28:22 MDT Print View

All you white people with your DNA testing. Ask any Kiowa where his tribe came from, and he'll tell you they came out into the world from a hollow log. And if you think that's weird, ask a Navajo how they got here! It puts the book of Genesis to shame.

And that Sean Connery picture is hawt!

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Hollow log on 04/13/2013 22:52:49 MDT Print View

I saw 'hollow log' and thought it was gonna be about ditching a tent and sleeping in a hollow log.

Nope

Daniel Pittman
(pitsy) - M

Re: Re: Hollow log on 04/13/2013 22:57:29 MDT Print View

No way! Bears look for grubs in hollow logs. I don't want a bear thinking I'm the biggest grub ever!

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
shorts on 04/13/2013 23:33:15 MDT Print View

I like cargo shorts with pockets, because I like to keep my ziplock with TP in them, and my map, and my camera .

Its a ~5.5 oz penalty I gladly carry. I think mine weigh 9 oz, versus about 3.5 oz for running shorts.

Yes, it counts in FSO, it has an effect on you too. Does it make my pack lighter, yep. All together about 6 oz lighter.

But if my pack weighs 7-8 lbs, im not worried about that 6 oz. Those are items I need frequently, or dont want to dig thru pack for when I do need them.

I, am the only person who knows, and who cares, what MY pack weighs.

Edited by livingontheroad on 04/13/2013 23:34:18 MDT.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: shorts on 04/13/2013 23:35:34 MDT Print View

MB yer killin me! After two pages every thread is supposed to devolve into chaff!

Whats all this 'on topic' discussion?!?

Jk jk

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: Re: shorts on 04/14/2013 00:15:51 MDT Print View

In cycling and mountain biking, it is noted the packed weight versus pocket/ shoe aka moving weight.

5 extra lbs in a pocket moving along the knee is considered moving weight that gets picked up and dropped everytime the knee moves.

Versus packed weight is stable.