Forum Index » GEAR » If you could have only ONE solo shelter?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ian Destroyer of Forums
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Holy crap Ken on 04/11/2013 22:26:49 MDT Print View

Well done man! I would love to build a teardrop. Looks great!

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: If you could have only ONE solo shelter? on 04/11/2013 22:27:58 MDT Print View

"Ken . . . you built that?

Awesome!"

He also genetically designed and engineered from raw organic material that little canine looking creature found in same :0

More seriously, pretty f'ing cool skills there.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: If you could have only ONE solo shelter? on 04/11/2013 22:38:38 MDT Print View

That was a fun project. Started building it at work and surprised the wife.

Hamish, the dog in the photo was the alarm and auxilliary bed warmer.

Rad setup if I say so myself. The trailer is in Pasadena now I think. Blue and white now too.

Nick's looks NICE inside!

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: If you could have only ONE solo shelter? on 04/11/2013 22:40:33 MDT Print View

That's amazing, Ken. You can build that but can't sew a tarp. Jeeze.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Re: If you could have only ONE solo shelter? on 04/11/2013 22:45:39 MDT Print View

"That's amazing, Ken. You can build that but can't sew a tarp. Jeeze."

He just may be a Trailer making Savant of sorts?

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Re:evidence to the contrary on 04/11/2013 22:46:02 MDT Print View

Same dog

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Re: If you could have only ONE solo shelter? on 04/11/2013 22:46:05 MDT Print View

Nice work Ken. Did it have the stove/kitchen/cabinets in back?

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: If you could have only ONE solo shelter? on 04/11/2013 22:47:22 MDT Print View

Ken,

That's nice! I dig the Volvo chick magnet too :)

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: If you could have only ONE solo shelter? on 04/11/2013 22:50:15 MDT Print View

Apologies to the OP

Basic in the back.

We used a mixture of car camping and backpacking gear. Two burner Coleman stove. 12gallons of water. U boat battery.

I drove the Volvo for 7 years, 130k, It's still on the road with over 500k. Sold it for a $1000. Best $2500 I ever spent on a car.

Edited by kthompson on 04/11/2013 22:52:57 MDT.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: If you could have only ONE solo shelter? on 04/11/2013 22:50:44 MDT Print View

Here's our ultralight unit. Almost 1/2 the size of the one I posted.

Starcraft

Some where I have a picture of the mini-tent trailer I used to tow with my motorcycle.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Re: If you could have only ONE solo shelter? on 04/11/2013 22:56:20 MDT Print View

We got a pop up as a wedding present. Used it for years. Renee hated the flopping fabric walls. I had other issues with it too. So I built the teardrop a few years later. The teardrop was able to withstand being dragged throughout Borrego behind my International.

Stephen Komae
(skomae) - MLife

Locale: northeastern US
hammock on 04/11/2013 22:57:22 MDT Print View

Clark Jungle Hammock

It's on the heavier side but considering it has a built-in wind sock, a sheltered gear loft, and a massive tarp (great for standalone tarping too!) I'm willing to take the weight penalty. Great in all 4 seasons, although a tent is more straightforward to use in the winter.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
German engineering on 04/11/2013 23:06:26 MDT Print View

>U boat battery.

Dang. You've got a submarine battery running that thing?

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: German engineering on 04/11/2013 23:50:37 MDT Print View

Deep cycle battery. Provides steady charge for a longer period than an automotive type battery and can handle repeated discharging, unlike a car battery. I use golf cart batteries in mine. You gotta expand your universe beyond backpacking and pack rafting ;)

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: German engineering on 04/12/2013 00:12:39 MDT Print View

Nick writes to Travis, "You gotta expand your universe beyond backpacking and pack rafting ;) "

Here-ye, here-ye, and may i most humbly and sincerely suggest that you, Travis take up ballroom dancing to aid in this expanding endeavor. Very zen and enlightening, believe it or not. Actually, there is a pretty funny Australian movie about ball room dancing--i will never look at it in the same light again.

Sorry guys, i will leave the cool folks club alone after this post. ; )

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
TT Moment DW on 04/12/2013 00:13:04 MDT Print View

My choice is a TT Moment DW with both inner tents and the crossing pole - natch.

Justin McCabe
(justinmc) - M

Solo Shelter on 04/12/2013 00:16:35 MDT Print View

Now if you would have said "if money AND weight weren't an issue"....I would have said the REI Basecamp 6 (of which I am a proud owner)but than again, this IS backpacking LIGHT.

So to answer your question, I'd say my SL 2. It's perfect for me. I can carelessly throw my gear wherever I please in it and still have enough room (after you all taught me to pitch it, of course).

Edited by justinmc on 04/12/2013 00:17:12 MDT.

Tom Lyons
(towaly) - F

Locale: Smoky Mtns.
SMD Gatewood Cape. on 04/12/2013 05:26:20 MDT Print View

Gatewood Cape is my favorite.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
tough call for me on 04/12/2013 07:26:25 MDT Print View

For a couple of years a Scarp 1 was my only solo tent, it was a bit heavy for summer and in winter the cross poles where fiddly when very cold.

Now I have a Stratosphire (with both inners)
which is great for 3 season and a Hilleberg Soulo for winter or crazy forecasts.

I recently purchaed a Trailstar to use on trips with my buddy but he finds it a bit too tight for two, I used it solo on a winter trip and loved it so will cajole him in to trying it out on an overnighter in 2 weeks.

Anyway back on subject, if I was to have only one solo tent it would be a Hilleberg Unna and get a lighweight Mesh inner and cf poles for summer, as I could use it any time if year above or below treeline.

Edited by stephenm on 04/12/2013 07:40:55 MDT.

Richard Fischel
(RICKO) - F
bd lighthouse on 04/12/2013 07:49:02 MDT Print View

palace for one and usable for two. great ventilation, sets-up easy, simple design and can handle high winds and snow-loading. while other's have had different experiences, i've never had a problem with the tent leaking in the rain. at 3#'s it might not be the lightest tent, but for me, with a choice limited to one, it's the most versatile.