If you could have only ONE solo shelter?
Display Avatars Sort By:
S Long
(Izeloz) - M

Locale: Wasatch
If you could have only ONE solo shelter? on 04/11/2013 21:30:19 MDT Print View

If you were limited to choosing only one solo shelter, or you had to start all over again and money was not an important factor in choosing, what would it be and why?

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
If you could have only ONE solo shelter? on 04/11/2013 21:35:56 MDT Print View

MLD CF Patrol Shelter at 8.8oz and storm proof plus YAMA Mt.Gear 1.25 bug shelter.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: If you could have only ONE solo shelter? on 04/11/2013 21:39:42 MDT Print View

Tarptent Notch.

Light, double walled, modular, sets up outer fly first, dual doors, side entry, dual vestibules, exceptionally stable, and sets up in about a minute.

Harald Hope
(hhope) - M

Locale: East Bay
if only one on 04/11/2013 21:46:30 MDT Print View

If only one, I'd have to make my own, otherwise the two I have are a very nice set for different seasons. But to have exactly what I wanted, and if only one, I would have to make it. Dual trekking pole supports, but not like the notch style, it lacks triangulation of the supports, those have too much wasted space inside in my opinion. Plus some spicings from Roger C's nice tunnel designs and methods he was nice enough to share with us, I think.

A zippered entrance zpacks style hexamid, using a second pole somewhere, and/or some short carbon fiber poles, with a built in floor bathtub floor, not that netting stuff, would be closer to the idea I think, but with less guylines required to maintain the structure of the body. ie, nobody makes it, but several people make parts of it.

Edited by hhope on 04/11/2013 21:48:07 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: If you could have only ONE solo shelter? on 04/11/2013 21:48:08 MDT Print View

A bit of insight:

When asked in 2010: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=38526

When asked (for all intents and purposes) in 2011: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=51684

As for me, a Lightheart Gear Solo.

Edited by idester on 04/11/2013 21:57:59 MDT.

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Locale: 40°N,-105°W-ish
There can be only one on 04/11/2013 21:48:54 MDT Print View

Nooooo! Don't force me to choose.

Where when and why are you going with one size fits all?

Maybe Trailstar. Maybe Cuben Duomid. Maybe StratoSpire 1. Maybe none of the above.

My head hurts.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: If you could have only ONE solo shelter? on 04/11/2013 21:52:31 MDT Print View

A big tarp.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
If you could have only ONE solo shelter? on 04/11/2013 21:57:02 MDT Print View

Well, if it was only me I think this would do just fine.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: If you could have only ONE solo shelter? on 04/11/2013 22:00:57 MDT Print View

Come on Craig. This is BPL.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Last time that was asked on 04/11/2013 22:03:28 MDT Print View

Tgg

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: If you could have only ONE solo shelter? on 04/11/2013 22:04:08 MDT Print View

Haha Ken!

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: If you could have only ONE solo shelter? on 04/11/2013 22:12:03 MDT Print View

That setup turns heads for all the wrong reasons.

...unless the inside of that teardrop is lined with quilted purple velvet, embroidered pillows with tassels, red silk sheets, mood lighting, a vaporizer, and a primo sound system.

Maybe it feels bigger on the inside.

Edited by xnomanx on 04/11/2013 22:14:50 MDT.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: If you could have only ONE solo shelter? on 04/11/2013 22:14:15 MDT Print View

Well Craig, that is pretty cool. I thought we were talking backpacking shelters. Joyce and have camped over 700 nights in this...

Niagara

... but I still stand by the big tarp choice for backpacking.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: If you could have only ONE solo shelter? on 04/11/2013 22:18:39 MDT Print View

Tough customer huh?

How about the one I actually built?

East side, best side.

DVD, Stereo, Electric bed warmer, Queen size bed, etc...

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
If you could have only ONE solo shelter? on 04/11/2013 22:18:46 MDT Print View

The inside of Nick's pop-up. Amazingly spacious and airy.
He's more laid back than he lets on.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: If you could have only ONE solo shelter? on 04/11/2013 22:22:53 MDT Print View

Craig and Craigs' pads = PimpMaster Funk Daddy?

I never would have thought....

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
If you could have only ONE solo shelter? on 04/11/2013 22:24:13 MDT Print View

Ken . . . you built that?

Awesome!

David Erickson
(trailwolf)
Re: If you could have only ONE solo shelter? on 04/11/2013 22:25:15 MDT Print View

Considering that I just recently purchased the SMD Skyscape-X, I would have to say this is the one that I would have :-)

Edited by trailwolf on 04/11/2013 22:26:58 MDT.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Dunno on 04/11/2013 22:25:16 MDT Print View

I'm torn between the school bus with 500 cans of chili or the chic insulated shipping container and a lifetime's supply of humus, haikus, and capuchinos. The school bus really appeals to my wild side and sends the world the message of "get off my lawn" but the insulated shipping container HAS a higher R value than a straw bale house and the hippy chicks dig 'em. Of course, the thought of looking at another woman besides my wife makes me want to vomit and cry at the same time. That's my official statement.

The USGI bivy and USGI poncho has always served me well from a performance perspective but I'm new to UL and the weight doesn't jive with my current goals (2.5 lbs bivy and 1.5 lbs poncho.) Seems that most of the other bivy selections on the market reportedly have condensation problems so now I'm looking at shelters like the SL2 which will accomodate my 6'3" self.

If you need any other uniformed opinions please feel free to ask.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
If you could have only ONE solo shelter? on 04/11/2013 22:26:11 MDT Print View

I just had my first panic attack.
Thanks for that

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Holy crap Ken on 04/11/2013 22:26:49 MDT Print View

Well done man! I would love to build a teardrop. Looks great!

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: If you could have only ONE solo shelter? on 04/11/2013 22:27:58 MDT Print View

"Ken . . . you built that?

Awesome!"

He also genetically designed and engineered from raw organic material that little canine looking creature found in same :0

More seriously, pretty f'ing cool skills there.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: If you could have only ONE solo shelter? on 04/11/2013 22:38:38 MDT Print View

That was a fun project. Started building it at work and surprised the wife.

Hamish, the dog in the photo was the alarm and auxilliary bed warmer.

Rad setup if I say so myself. The trailer is in Pasadena now I think. Blue and white now too.

Nick's looks NICE inside!

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: If you could have only ONE solo shelter? on 04/11/2013 22:40:33 MDT Print View

That's amazing, Ken. You can build that but can't sew a tarp. Jeeze.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Re: If you could have only ONE solo shelter? on 04/11/2013 22:45:39 MDT Print View

"That's amazing, Ken. You can build that but can't sew a tarp. Jeeze."

He just may be a Trailer making Savant of sorts?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re:evidence to the contrary on 04/11/2013 22:46:02 MDT Print View

Same dog

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Re: If you could have only ONE solo shelter? on 04/11/2013 22:46:05 MDT Print View

Nice work Ken. Did it have the stove/kitchen/cabinets in back?

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: If you could have only ONE solo shelter? on 04/11/2013 22:47:22 MDT Print View

Ken,

That's nice! I dig the Volvo chick magnet too :)

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: If you could have only ONE solo shelter? on 04/11/2013 22:50:15 MDT Print View

Apologies to the OP

Basic in the back.

We used a mixture of car camping and backpacking gear. Two burner Coleman stove. 12gallons of water. U boat battery.

I drove the Volvo for 7 years, 130k, It's still on the road with over 500k. Sold it for a $1000. Best $2500 I ever spent on a car.

Edited by kthompson on 04/11/2013 22:52:57 MDT.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: If you could have only ONE solo shelter? on 04/11/2013 22:50:44 MDT Print View

Here's our ultralight unit. Almost 1/2 the size of the one I posted.

Starcraft

Some where I have a picture of the mini-tent trailer I used to tow with my motorcycle.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Re: If you could have only ONE solo shelter? on 04/11/2013 22:56:20 MDT Print View

We got a pop up as a wedding present. Used it for years. Renee hated the flopping fabric walls. I had other issues with it too. So I built the teardrop a few years later. The teardrop was able to withstand being dragged throughout Borrego behind my International.

Stephen Komae
(skomae) - MLife

Locale: northeastern US
hammock on 04/11/2013 22:57:22 MDT Print View

Clark Jungle Hammock

It's on the heavier side but considering it has a built-in wind sock, a sheltered gear loft, and a massive tarp (great for standalone tarping too!) I'm willing to take the weight penalty. Great in all 4 seasons, although a tent is more straightforward to use in the winter.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
German engineering on 04/11/2013 23:06:26 MDT Print View

>U boat battery.

Dang. You've got a submarine battery running that thing?

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: German engineering on 04/11/2013 23:50:37 MDT Print View

Deep cycle battery. Provides steady charge for a longer period than an automotive type battery and can handle repeated discharging, unlike a car battery. I use golf cart batteries in mine. You gotta expand your universe beyond backpacking and pack rafting ;)

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: German engineering on 04/12/2013 00:12:39 MDT Print View

Nick writes to Travis, "You gotta expand your universe beyond backpacking and pack rafting ;) "

Here-ye, here-ye, and may i most humbly and sincerely suggest that you, Travis take up ballroom dancing to aid in this expanding endeavor. Very zen and enlightening, believe it or not. Actually, there is a pretty funny Australian movie about ball room dancing--i will never look at it in the same light again.

Sorry guys, i will leave the cool folks club alone after this post. ; )

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
TT Moment DW on 04/12/2013 00:13:04 MDT Print View

My choice is a TT Moment DW with both inner tents and the crossing pole - natch.

Justin McCabe
(justinmc)

Solo Shelter on 04/12/2013 00:16:35 MDT Print View

Now if you would have said "if money AND weight weren't an issue"....I would have said the REI Basecamp 6 (of which I am a proud owner)but than again, this IS backpacking LIGHT.

So to answer your question, I'd say my SL 2. It's perfect for me. I can carelessly throw my gear wherever I please in it and still have enough room (after you all taught me to pitch it, of course).

Edited by justinmc on 04/12/2013 00:17:12 MDT.

Tom Lyons
(towaly) - F

Locale: Smoky Mtns.
SMD Gatewood Cape. on 04/12/2013 05:26:20 MDT Print View

Gatewood Cape is my favorite.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
tough call for me on 04/12/2013 07:26:25 MDT Print View

For a couple of years a Scarp 1 was my only solo tent, it was a bit heavy for summer and in winter the cross poles where fiddly when very cold.

Now I have a Stratosphire (with both inners)
which is great for 3 season and a Hilleberg Soulo for winter or crazy forecasts.

I recently purchaed a Trailstar to use on trips with my buddy but he finds it a bit too tight for two, I used it solo on a winter trip and loved it so will cajole him in to trying it out on an overnighter in 2 weeks.

Anyway back on subject, if I was to have only one solo tent it would be a Hilleberg Unna and get a lighweight Mesh inner and cf poles for summer, as I could use it any time if year above or below treeline.

Edited by stephenm on 04/12/2013 07:40:55 MDT.

Richard Fischel
(RICKO) - F
bd lighthouse on 04/12/2013 07:49:02 MDT Print View

palace for one and usable for two. great ventilation, sets-up easy, simple design and can handle high winds and snow-loading. while other's have had different experiences, i've never had a problem with the tent leaking in the rain. at 3#'s it might not be the lightest tent, but for me, with a choice limited to one, it's the most versatile.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re:evidence to the contrary on 04/12/2013 11:24:04 MDT Print View

Ken - that picture of the tarp is clearly photoshopped. The tarp, not the dog.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: If you could have only ONE solo shelter? on 04/12/2013 11:33:29 MDT Print View

MLD Solo Mid with MLD Bivy.

One of the lightest Mids out there.

Full protection from all four sides again rain, moderate snow loads, and strong winds.

Can use both hiking poles in an inverted "V", which offers additional strength in pitching to help resist wind and snow loads.

Simple pitching only requiring 4 stakes.

Optional bug netting perimeter to allow for more comfort in buggy situations.

-Tony

Edited by Valshar on 04/12/2013 11:34:12 MDT.

Rudy Hassall
(WindedBowhunter) - F

For me, my Hilleberg Soulo on 04/12/2013 18:13:19 MDT Print View

I purchased my Hilleberg Soulo 5 years ago and have never looked back! It is bomber, easy to setup, comfortable to ride out storm for a day or more, great vestibule to keep all of my gear out of the weather!

But, I do like the Exped Mira as a friend has used this on several of our trips. I have have hear great things about the SeekOutside Little Bug Out.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: For me, my Hilleberg Soulo on 04/12/2013 18:26:48 MDT Print View

Randy,

I hear you in the Soulo but it would be a heavy warm beast for summer time.

Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
MLD cuben duomid on 04/13/2013 03:52:14 MDT Print View

I bought one on gear swap 3 years ago and am still in love with it. I mostly still poncho tarp when 3 season hiking, and use the duomid in winter where it sheds snow well. At 13 oz though, it is light enough and roomy enough to meet my needs year round.

James Reilly
(zippymorocco) - M

Locale: Montana
Hexamid Twin on 04/13/2013 08:38:01 MDT Print View

I know that the Hexamid Twin is technically a two people tent but it makes a fine solo as well!

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
MLD Cuben Duomid Redux on 04/13/2013 13:12:14 MDT Print View

Light, roomy, solid in storm or wind. While I occasionally get out the Cuben Cricket (1 person Trailstar), the Duo is the real gem!

Rudy Hassall
(WindedBowhunter) - F

Re: Re: For me, my Hilleberg Soulo on 04/18/2013 15:00:00 MDT Print View

Beleive it or not, it's not any warmer than any other tent. Just control the ventilation circulation and you're good.

Not as cool as a tent or just a netting!

If you really wanted to, you leave the outler wall off and hope it doesn't rain! :^)

Rudy Hassall
(WindedBowhunter) - F

Seek Outside on 04/18/2013 15:03:15 MDT Print View

I have not tried this yet...

But, have a few friends who are really liking their Seek Outside Lil Bug Out Shelters

http://seekoutside.com/products/ultralight-tipis/little-bug-out-shelter/