Lower Body Clothing System
Display Avatars Sort By:
Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Agree to Disagree on 04/11/2013 20:31:48 MDT Print View

My, you're a small one! I guess with a body weight like that, you can afford about anything. I'm 160, but I'm definitely taller. I wonder if I can carry 30% more weight because I've got 30% more muscle, bone, and viscera... It'd be interesting to find out what the relationships are between body size and backpack weight.

The OP wanted opinions. Since we're both giving some and neither is inherently wrong, let's just agree to disagree.

I just didn't like the fact that you're disregarding 8oz based on "You don't have experience" rather than actual data. Data, in this case, is easy; it's about the weight of the pants. You recognize that it's a luxury VS a non-luxury, though, so I've got no further qualms at all.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Lower Body Clothing System on 04/11/2013 20:32:16 MDT Print View

For most of the year I wear Montane Terra trousers and then swap them out for Paramo Trousers in winter.
I don't bother with shorts as its a faff putting on sunscreen.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
Lower Body Clothing System on 04/11/2013 20:48:07 MDT Print View

I hike in pants. I don't like deet or sunscreen, or sunburn, or bug bites.
When its cold in camp and in the mornings, I use snow pants over my hiking gear.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Re: Lower Body Clothing System on 04/11/2013 20:49:19 MDT Print View

"There is no one pant to rule them all."

Quite true, nor one style of pant. No one is wrong for wearing zip offs. They weigh more, that's true. They're a bit more flexible than regular pants, also true. To each his/her own, really, the weight difference is pretty insignificant, IMO.

I don't like zip offs personally, but hike with folks who do. I also never wear shorts while hiking, only pants, though folks I hike with do wear shorts. It's all in what works for you.

For me: 3.5-season: Railrider Bone Flat pants with Ex Officio boxer briefs. Early spring/late fall (colder temps) I'll carry GoLite Reed pants if it's going to rain. Winter: RAB vapour rise pants with Ex Officio boxer briefs. I'll carry RAB eVent pants if it's going to rain alot or hard.

I'm also fond of the MLD tall eVent gaiters, in both summer and winter. Summer when it's rainy, winter all the time.

Edited by idester on 04/11/2013 21:17:27 MDT.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Agree to Disagree on 04/11/2013 20:59:44 MDT Print View

yea.. power to weight ratio is good for all of my hobbies.. climbing.. riding.. hiking. they yell at me on group rides when we hit hills.

i don't really consider it a luxury since it's worn weight which i don't "count" i wear pants every day.. heavier ones usually. I climb and work in varying weights of Carharts which are more than 12oz for sure. i just don't care if you consider it a luxury.

too bad there isnt an hiking version of Power Meter. fancy riders can figure out their watts/kg

i'm doing the Pemi loop in a day this summer.. race ya ;)

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Gaiters on 04/11/2013 21:14:56 MDT Print View

+1 to MLD eVent gaiters. Not one conplaint or nitpick.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: Gaiters on 04/11/2013 21:17:50 MDT Print View

Dirty girls..

aren't the tall gaiters uber sweaty? i wear them in the winter shoeshoeing

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Gaiters on 04/11/2013 21:23:43 MDT Print View

I only wear mine in winter and have never collected moisture under them.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Gaiters on 04/11/2013 21:25:38 MDT Print View

"aren't the tall gaiters uber sweaty?"

In the summer, yes, but I'm convinced they help keep ticks off me.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Dirty Girls on 04/11/2013 21:26:09 MDT Print View

I like my Dirty Girls, no perspiration problems. Super colors, too.

Waterproof, they aren't.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: Dirty Girls on 04/11/2013 21:30:13 MDT Print View

well they aren't meant to be.. just to keep stuff out of your shoes. I wish i had them on the LT.. i went crazy with pine needle duff getting in my socks. I actually ordered them from Stowe so I'd have them when i got home :P

Sean Passanisi
(passanis) - MLife
WPB Pants on 04/11/2013 22:37:38 MDT Print View

How critical are WPB pants for backpacking in California / Sierras? Is it reasonable to think wind pants provide enough protection?

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Zip-offs are Heavy on 04/11/2013 23:11:11 MDT Print View

Nice 2nd post and points Max. Btw, i have a pair of shorts that only weighs 1.7 oz--they don't leave much to the imagination (cue jokes now....).

I also think Jake made some good points too. I don't have any zip offs myself, but i like the convenience factor at least. It would be possible to make some UL velcro offs pants i imagine. In fact, it would be easy to take some existing lightweight shorts and combine them with a pair of cheap windpants...hmmmm

Thanks for the idea folks!!!

Edited by ArcturusBear on 04/11/2013 23:12:13 MDT.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Re: Gaiters on 04/11/2013 23:17:48 MDT Print View

" 'aren't the tall gaiters uber sweaty?'

"In the summer, yes, but I'm convinced they help keep ticks off me."

Eat enough garlic and it will help keep everything off you. Well, except for the Italians of course, you may find an unusual influx of them.

(Bob, somebody has to fill in for you while you're not around)

Edited by ArcturusBear on 04/11/2013 23:22:07 MDT.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Lower Body Clothing System on 04/11/2013 23:39:43 MDT Print View

My experience is that no single piece works in most conditions/weather.

In warmer weather it is usually Patagonia Baggies shorts with Cap 1 or wind pants.

As it gets cooler, usually Rail Riders Eco-Mesh and Cap 1.

In cold hiking around freezing REI Mistral Schoeller pants and Cap 1.

Even colder REI Acme Schoeller pants with Cap 1 or 4.

For all of the above the cap 1/4 and wind pants spend most of their time in my pack.

I have never worn rain pants, as my ponchos go down near my knees. Now I normally wear a zPacks Cuben/tarp that isn't long enough to cover my shorts entirely, and a couple trips in cold wind blown rain left my thighs pretty cold. I bought a Cuben rain skirt and a pair of Cuben rain chaps but haven't been in enough rain yet to properly evaluate them.

Even though I hate cold, hiking in shorts is usually comfortable down into the 40's F as long as it isn't windy.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Clothing is heavy on 04/11/2013 23:40:58 MDT Print View

Ok, this isn't meant to disparage anyone's preferences, but I think it's weird when someone says an item is heavy to wear.

I can understand if someone puts on a 10 pound jacket, but a 12 ounce pair of pants is probably less than what we wear every day without noticing.

It equates to 0% noticeable difference.

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: London, UK
Re: Clothing is heavy on 04/12/2013 00:01:50 MDT Print View

All together now "HE SAID WHAT!?"

Travis, my lightest size XL zip-offs weigh ~4oz+ more than my Rock Guides. May not seem like much but imagine how noticeable it would be if that extra weight was 850 FP down in your bag or jacket or the alcohol for your stove. This is BPL after all.

Edited by rmjapan on 04/12/2013 00:04:30 MDT.

Andre Buhot
(Shadow-MKII) - M
Pants vs Shorts Weight? on 04/12/2013 00:22:35 MDT Print View

To Me it doesn't matter what the difference in weight is between Running shorts and Zipoff's/Pants is.

Because I don't wear shorts (except while swimming) and would never hike in them.

I wear Cragghopper's Nosilife Cargos(375g) wicking Boxer briefs and Add Capilene 2 longs in winter.

Tom Lyons
(towaly) - F

Locale: Smoky Mtns.
Pockets on 04/12/2013 05:13:48 MDT Print View

For me, any pants without pockets are not my choice for any sort of excursion.

Sure, I'll wear running shorts or just wind pants, as long as I'm not going anywhere.

I always wear some sort of cargo pockets pants, like zip offs, anytime I am going anywhere on a hike or anything like that.
I have a small light pack, and I prefer to carry my regularly used items where I can get my hands on them on the move.

Sometimes I'll even wear heavier fabric cargo pants for a woods hike, because I can't even step off the road around here without walking through a blackberry patch.

Sean Monahan
(Zvolen) - F

Locale: CA Central Valley
Insight on 04/12/2013 17:58:22 MDT Print View

I wanted to explain my intent a bit here. I wanted the most flexible versatile system I am not as much worried about the lightest option. My goal is to have in my gear closet the least amount of gear, meaning if I have a multi use item that I use in the summer (like the shorts from zip offs) and then use a part of that system for the winter (the shorts plus zip ons) I would rather have that considering I can buy one item and use it for multiple things. I just don’t know if that is possible or if a dedicated system would be better.

I am attempting to get back into hiking and my major concern is not having to buy a lot of gear, so yeas I will sacrifice weight in order to get versatile gear that I could use for multiple things and or conditions.

I guess my question is will convertibles do well enough in wind and rain in the warm months and would it be redundant to have those and rain pants (mainly for shoulder/cooler weather), how would that system integrate to the colder months? Or would it be better to just get some softshells for the shoulder season since they too will be wind/rain resistant, if so will I still need rain pants in more inclement weather during those times?

As far as the summer I will pretty much always hike in shorts even if I use the convertibles I mostly likely won’t bring them, so it sounds as if convertibles would be best since I can use them in the summer whereas I can’t do so with the softshells??
Thoughts?