Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Tips for lighting Esbit in High Winds
Display Avatars Sort By:
Bill Segraves
(sbill9000) - F - M
finding the right trick birthday candles on 04/15/2013 19:36:56 MDT Print View

"I carry a couple of trick birthday candles and use them to light"

I got some of these two years ago for a trip and things didn't turn out as planned. Most of them melted in the car on the way. The ones I rescued wouldn't stay lit in the wind well enough to get anything going that didn't already want to. They'd sputter and pop as they burned out, and sometimes almost got restarted, but then they'd be out again in a second. Much as my life-long experience might tend to suggest that I was born fire-impaired, I suspect I started to go wrong by picking the wrong brand. Do you know what kind worked well for you, Kevin?

Thanks!

Cheers,

Bill S.

PS to the hand sanitizer Esbit-lighters - this didn't work well for me, either, at least not at low temperature and high altitude. Some sanitizers are ~60% EtOH, others are ~ 70%. I suspect it makes a difference. Of course, I had the lower proof stuff.

Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
Trick Birthday Candles on 04/16/2013 06:34:37 MDT Print View

Sorry - I have no idea what brand I used...I just grabbed a couple from our "Party Drawer" at the house and threw them in my kit. I've had the same three candles in my bag for a couple of years.

I light a candle with my lighter and then, holding the candle as vertically as possible so it doesn't burn too quickly, light either my fire or the Esbit. I then extinguish the candle by either dunking it in a puddle (which always seems to be nearby when I need a candle) or just wet my fingers and extinguish the candle with a quick & soggy squeeze.

Daniel Fish
(daniel@fishfamilypdx.com)

Locale: PDX
... on 04/16/2013 13:43:09 MDT Print View

Edited by daniel@fishfamilypdx.com on 06/09/2013 09:33:10 MDT.