Forum Index » Chaff » Homeless + Lottery =........................homeless

Display Avatars Sort By:
Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Homeless + Lottery =........................homeless on 04/10/2013 02:18:33 MDT Print View

A homeless man wins $50,000, but plans to stay in his tent. Regarding his life situation? He's a happy camper, without the $50K.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/04/09/homeless-man-dennis-mahurin-wins-50000-lottery-jackpot-but-wants-to-stay-in-his-tent-3588945/

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Homeless + Lottery =........................homeless on 04/10/2013 07:05:35 MDT Print View

Smart. No bills. Maybe he'll get a Hilleberg and a custom sleeping bag.

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: Homeless + Lottery =........................homeless on 04/10/2013 09:32:11 MDT Print View

Why do they call him homeless? How about a "mortgage free individual" wins lottery. Continues to stay debt free.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Re: Homeless + Lottery =........................homeless on 04/10/2013 11:23:06 MDT Print View

"Why do they call him homeless? How about a "mortgage free individual" wins lottery."

Mortgage free individual? That could apply to a renter, a homeowner who paid off his mortgage, or a young adult living with his folks...

My hunch is that the 'reality of winning' hasn't quite set in, and the winner won't remain homeless for long.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Homeless + Lottery =........................homeless on 04/10/2013 12:29:22 MDT Print View

$50 grand, while a good amount of money, isn't enough to simply start being a homeowner.

If he decides to use that money as a springboard out of his situation, then I wish him all the best. But, if the guy is truly happy where he is, then who are we to question?

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
taxless? on 04/10/2013 12:55:20 MDT Print View

Well, presuming he's not also "taxless", then he just scored 3 years of rent. Four, if he is taxless.

Better, he just scored a used Vanagon, maintenance, insurance and registration for ten years. Now he can go the beach, soak up the good parking places and live on the waterfront!

Brandon =Þ
(Beeen) - MLife

Locale: California
Re: taxless? on 04/10/2013 17:15:21 MDT Print View

"Better, he just scored a used Vanagon, maintenance, insurance and registration for ten years. Now he can go the beach, soak up the good parking places and live on the waterfront!

Or he could buy a house in Detroit and a few empty lots and start farming.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: taxless? on 04/10/2013 19:06:05 MDT Print View

"Or he could buy a house in Detroit and a few empty lots and start farming."

I've seen Detroit city farms, not sure I'd want one....

ranch

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: taxless? on 04/10/2013 21:20:42 MDT Print View

I'd pay $50K just to not have to go to Detroit.