Forum Index » GEAR » Is a thermarest "Neo-Air" actually worth the price difference?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: more surface area on 04/11/2013 12:46:51 MDT Print View

Well, I am 6'1" with a 34 inch waist so most of my weight is in my legs, chest, back, and shoulders. And my head, if you were to believe my wife.

Harald Hope
(hhope) - M

Locale: East Bay
now it's starting to make sense on 04/11/2013 13:06:39 MDT Print View

yes, it's starting to make some sense now, you can sleep on your side in one way, that puts most of that weight right on the hipbone, and the area of that hip bone in contact square inches can vary widely depending on the amount of muscle/fat that surrounds that part of your body, and in another way, that distributes it evenly all along your leg/hip area, so the term 'side sleeper' clearly can actually mean many things. As can tossing and turning, etc.

I should measure my prolite and see how many pounds per square inch are required to push it down to the ground, that's easy to do.

Fun stuff, but I am now motivated to give the neo air one last try before selling it and letting it find a home with someone who can get the results nick gets, the simple formula of it working for you.

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Re: more surface area on 04/11/2013 16:07:47 MDT Print View

As I said it's a delicate balance for me. I can tell it's not as comfortable if I have too much air and obvious if I have too little. Perhaps it's more important given the short size since I don't recall it being quite as picky on the full-length POE knock-off I have. I can tell I'm close when I can barely press my closed hand fully on the ground. That's where my hip can sink enough to keep my back straight.

I've never tried any other inflatables. I discounted the Prolite immediately because it's only 1.5" thick. I only considered those over 2" thick since I knew I'd need significant "cradling".

There are several that just don't like Neoairs for various reasons. Nothing wrong with that. I'm glad I do so I can save a couple ounces at least and smaller packed size. :) I got mine at a great deal used here - even sale prices would have been hard for me to swallow. ;)