Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
The New, Lighter 1.0L MSR Reactor
Display Avatars Sort By:
Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Burner DOES nest in 1.0L on 12/21/2013 12:02:54 MST Print View

Thanks for showing us the technique, Jim. I was going nuts trying to figure out how to do it myself, and then I saw your blog post on it. I had to open the valve 1/4 turn in order to get the handle in the right spot (so I have to remember to turn it back closed before screwing the canister on).

Charley White
(charleywhite) - M

Locale: Petaluma, CA
gas & naptha on 12/21/2013 12:23:36 MST Print View

Jim--here's my shade-tree automotive engineer take. The explanation of the evolution of automotive gasoline sounds good, but the text from the Coleman site is less...illuminating. I think it's all/only in the additives. A while ago I started disposing of my old white gas in my truck gas tank. May be only due to dilution, but no knocks heard, no rough running.

Naptha is like "benzine": precise formula varies with country where spoken. I do know from working on an oil candle stove, naptha sold here is not gasoline of any kind. It burns in a wick way cleaner than diesel or gasoline (wouldn't even try) or kerosene. Painters naptha burns cleanly....and suspiciously similarly to Lamplighter Lamp Oil--just not as scented. I think Ronsonol lighter fluid is "naphtha." Charcoal lighter too, though maybe kerosene?

Thanks for Reactor update.

Edited by charleywhite on 12/22/2013 10:50:55 MST.

Steve Sandifur
(STS)
Burner fitting in Reactor on 12/22/2013 07:57:52 MST Print View

I appreciate the advice on fitting the burner in the stove as well as the link to your blog.It's probably the best review I've seen on any product.

I was a bit apprehensive forcing the burner into the stove,but all appears well.It's definitely a tight fit.

Once again,thanks for the help.

hwc 1954
(wcollings) - M
1-liter tight fit on 12/22/2013 13:57:47 MST Print View

I have the 1.0 liter Reactor. Love it, but I do wish they have made the pot 1 mm wider in diameter for a slightly easier time getting the burner into and out of the pot! Sheesh. Talk about fitting like a glove....