Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Houdini ripped, repair?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dan D
(TXBDan)

Locale: Boston, MA
Houdini ripped, repair? on 04/08/2013 14:14:31 MDT Print View

Hey guys,

I was wearing my Houdini (2012 model that I got used, but in great shape) for only the 2nd time when it ripped! I'm not sure what happened, but i was carrying a folding chair so something must have caught on it. Anyway, i have a 1" straight tear across the chest.

What's the best way to repair this? Some sort of tape? I'm afraid if i sew it, it will pucker and not lay flat.

Thanks!

Scott S
(sschloss1) - F

Locale: New England
Houdini repair on 04/08/2013 14:44:43 MDT Print View

There was this thread: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=72268

What I ended up doing was taking my Houdini to a professional seamstress (my GF happened to be going to one, so I tagged along). For $12, she removed the utterly useless chest pocket (this was a ~2009 model), sewed up the opening, and used the pocket fabric to make a beautiful-looking patch over the holes.

So, I'd suggest finding a seamstress for a professional-looking and permanent repair.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Houdini ripped, repair? on 04/08/2013 14:59:35 MDT Print View

No one would want a Puckered Houdini! Sounds like a wrestling hold :)

Other than sewing direct or a patch, McNett's Tenacious Tape would allow you to remove it later. It's a good thing to have in the repair kit anyway.

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Houdini ripped, repair? on 04/08/2013 16:06:19 MDT Print View

Ripstop repair tape might also work. You may be able to find a matching color.

It is a lot easier to sew without puckering (of fabric that is) after the tape is applied. I'm usually tense when sewing but the tape won't help that puckering.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Houdini ripped, repair? on 04/08/2013 16:30:49 MDT Print View

As Dale says tenacious tape would do the job, also Patagonia would fix it at a reasonable price.