November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Houdini ripped, repair?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dan D

Locale: Boston, MA
Houdini ripped, repair? on 04/08/2013 14:14:31 MDT Print View

Hey guys,

I was wearing my Houdini (2012 model that I got used, but in great shape) for only the 2nd time when it ripped! I'm not sure what happened, but i was carrying a folding chair so something must have caught on it. Anyway, i have a 1" straight tear across the chest.

What's the best way to repair this? Some sort of tape? I'm afraid if i sew it, it will pucker and not lay flat.

Scott S
(sschloss1) - F

Locale: New England
Houdini repair on 04/08/2013 14:44:43 MDT Print View

There was this thread:

What I ended up doing was taking my Houdini to a professional seamstress (my GF happened to be going to one, so I tagged along). For $12, she removed the utterly useless chest pocket (this was a ~2009 model), sewed up the opening, and used the pocket fabric to make a beautiful-looking patch over the holes.

So, I'd suggest finding a seamstress for a professional-looking and permanent repair.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Houdini ripped, repair? on 04/08/2013 14:59:35 MDT Print View

No one would want a Puckered Houdini! Sounds like a wrestling hold :)

Other than sewing direct or a patch, McNett's Tenacious Tape would allow you to remove it later. It's a good thing to have in the repair kit anyway.

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Houdini ripped, repair? on 04/08/2013 16:06:19 MDT Print View

Ripstop repair tape might also work. You may be able to find a matching color.

It is a lot easier to sew without puckering (of fabric that is) after the tape is applied. I'm usually tense when sewing but the tape won't help that puckering.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Deep Frreze
Re: Houdini ripped, repair? on 04/08/2013 16:30:49 MDT Print View

As Dale says tenacious tape would do the job, also Patagonia would fix it at a reasonable price.