Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
GoLite 1+ season bag with UL7 pad too cold?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Zach Huff
(Zacroh) - F
GoLite 1+ season bag with UL7 pad too cold? on 04/07/2013 23:34:15 MDT Print View

I'm planning on backpacking to Goddard Canyon this summer and my friend was telling me that I'm going to be too cold with my current sleeping gear. I was planning on sleeping in clothes as well. Cap 2 long bottoms, hiking pants, wool socks for sleeping, R1 zip jacket and even my down sweater. With all this do you think it would be too cold? Any experience in this area or with this gear as to what works well? The temps are supposedly low 30's maybe dipping into high 20's and the bag is only rated at 40 degrees.

Daniel Pittman
(pitsy) - M

Locale: Central Texas
Re: GoLite 1+ season bag with UL7 pad too cold? on 04/07/2013 23:49:20 MDT Print View

Tent, tarp, or bivy? A small tent or bivy adds some warmth. Maybe pack a bag liner to boost its rating a bit....

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: GoLite 1+ season bag with UL7 pad too cold? on 04/08/2013 07:36:50 MDT Print View

I've taken my go lite 1+ down quilt into some pretty cold temps (mid 30s) and a synmat and didn't even feel like I was pushing it (wore fleece bottoms, smartwool mid weight top, montbell alpine light parka with hat and hood). And I sleep kinda cold, too.

I'd almost be more concerned about pairing the 40 deg bag with the synmat which, for me lately anyway, seems to just leak all my warm air to the ground...or seep all that cold air up to me...or both.

I definitely think you'd be pushing it, but may get by if you try pairing your synmat with a CCF pad or just get a higher R rated pad. Your clothing system sounds like it could add a good deal to the bag...but won't help you with the ground.

Edited by Jenmitol on 04/08/2013 07:40:48 MDT.

Zach Huff
(Zacroh) - F
Tent on 04/08/2013 07:42:15 MDT Print View

I would be in a 3 person tarptent sharing with one or two others.

I am trying to avoid having to find another bag to sleep for now.. I did think of the liner option though. Have you had much success with a liner?

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Re: GoLite 1+ season bag with UL7 pad too cold? on 04/08/2013 08:09:17 MDT Print View

Meh on the liner. Some love them, some hate them, I have no opinion. In the real world I'm not sure how much they actually add. Without getting a new bag, I think if you added a CCF to the synmat and all the clothes I think you might do ok...especially since you technically can snuggle with two other people. Whether they like it or not.....

Zach Huff
(Zacroh) - F
Re: CCF/Snuggling on 04/08/2013 08:15:09 MDT Print View

HA! Yeah I think they will have to deal with it if it came to that. I'll look into some CCF pads. Thanks! Eventually I'll get another bag. Not soon though.

Zach Huff
(Zacroh) - F
How thin of a pad? on 04/08/2013 08:19:51 MDT Print View

1/4" too thin or should I go ahead and get the 3/8"? It's about a 3 oz difference

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: GoLite 1+ season bag with UL7 pad too cold? on 04/08/2013 08:30:59 MDT Print View

I think that depends on how warm, or not, you personally sleep. I took two silk bag liners, and put a smallish piece (should have been larger, but it's what i had left over) of 2.5oz Climashield apex in between them, sewed it up, and took it out in 37 degree weather and was mostly fine except when the wind blew hard--i was sleeping in an AT shelter with a very open face and silk is quite breathable. I was also wearing a lite down 'sweater', a winter hat, a cashmere sweater, wind pants and silk weight polartec powerdry base layer bottoms, and some merino wool liner gloves. I used the BAIAC pad also.

If i was using your set up, i think i would be warm down to high 20's or so. I would say on average i'm a moderately warm sleeper.

But that can vary from time to time even with the individual. Many things can affect that.

Btw, silk is pretty warm stuff for the weight, because of it's combination of being very fine and small diameter fibers, somewhat triangular shaped (yes the shape of the fibers can affect how much air it traps, just as the fineness or if it's hollow or not), and being animal protein (naturally insulating).

But if you can find a liner that is made out of somewhat densely woven, polyester microfiber, that might add a bit more warmth than the silk, but be more durable. It would be easy, for example, to make yourself one out of something like Pertex Microlight--find a DWR free one to reduce weight.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: GoLite 1+ season bag with UL7 pad too cold? on 04/08/2013 08:54:32 MDT Print View

But if you really want to add some warmth at not too much weight or cost, you could make a small quilt using 2.5 oz Climashield apex and ultralight fabric like Momentum 90. Total cost would be about 70 dollars or so, and weight about 15 to 16 oz or so. Put it on top of you, inside your bag when you sleep in colder temps. You would be able to take your bag down to much cooler temps then without having to worry.

If volume is a big factor though, would not be a good idea, but with the above you could leave behind some of the extra clothes like the R1 jacket--clothing like that is surprisingly heavy for how much warmth it gives you.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: GoLite 1+ season bag with UL7 pad too cold? on 04/08/2013 08:56:01 MDT Print View

Too cold? Probably. Will you die? Probably not.

But remember that quilts are not the best for below freezing because of the difficulty in preventing drafts. As mentioned above, if you use a bivy, that will help to prevent convective heat loss.

Is that a synmat UL7 or downmat? The Synmat will struggle at those lower temp.

Apart from whether you drink enough before bed, whether you eat enough to keep your core temperature up, whether you are very tired from a long day, and whether the wind picks up and steals your heat, the combination of gear that you list will not keep you warm enough to sleep at those temps.

Just my 2C

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: GoLite 1+ season bag with UL7 pad too cold? on 04/08/2013 09:08:53 MDT Print View

Family guy wrote, "But remember that quilts are not the best for below freezing because of the difficulty in preventing drafts."

It sounds like the OP is using a bag and not a quilt to begin with. Zach, what is the specific bag model you are using, is it last seasons Adrenaline bag, or the one they have up now, the unisex adventure bag? Or some other?

Edited by ArcturusBear on 04/08/2013 09:09:30 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Re: GoLite 1+ season bag with UL7 pad too cold? on 04/08/2013 09:51:29 MDT Print View

Apologies. I was only aware of the 1+ Season quilt and not the availability of a 1 season bag. I suspect because I would not see the point in a 1 season bag.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: GoLite 1+ season bag with UL7 pad too cold? on 04/08/2013 10:33:46 MDT Print View

Zach, i just looked up the weight of the R1 full zip jacket, and it weighs a bit over 13 oz. That supplemental quilt for the inside of your bag should weigh only a couple to a few ounces more, but provide a lot more warmth and for your whole body. Like i said, should cost you no more than 70, or 80 dollars tops, to make. I know you already have the R1 jacket, but just comparing the cost, that retails at 149.

One of the things that i learned from here, is that i can hike in fairly cold temps with just a baselayer and windshirt. So if you're bringing a down sweater for night time, non active use, and you use an above small quilt and you wouldn't need the R1. If you're just lounging around and get too cold with the down sweater, you can always wrap the supplemental quilt around you as well.

If you were going to a really wet and humid climate then the R1 might be good in case your down sweater got too wet, but it sounds like you will be in a fairly dry climate.

Well anyways, that is what i would do in your situation if i was on a budget and didn't yet want to buy a new premade bag or quilt. It's actually pretty easy to make an Climashield Apex quilt. If you can't sew, or don't have a sewing machine, there is quilting tape, you may know someone who does sew, or you could bring it to a seamstress or the like.

Zach Huff
(Zacroh) - F
Last seasons bag on 04/08/2013 10:43:44 MDT Print View

It is last seasons sleeping bag. 1+ season. Golite rated it at 40 degrees.