Forum Index » GEAR » Post your REI Garage Sale scores

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
Post your REI Garage Sale scores on 04/07/2013 19:44:53 MDT Print View

I just picked up a pair of rei eVent pants for $20. They just had a tiny hole on the leg that i patched up with some cuben tape and sil net. good as new!

What have you scored?

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Post your REI Garage Sale scores on 04/07/2013 20:11:32 MDT Print View

BD mercury mitts for $20ish brand new
Mammut Zeus puffy $60 small tear in sleeve - tenacious tape fixed
BD snow gaiters $10
JoeBlow Pro bike pump $25ish
original Jetboil.. $10
MSR Evo Tour snowshoes $30-40
Icebreaker 200 LS $10
patagonia rain pants $10ish

many other things ;)

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
REI Scores on 04/07/2013 20:12:24 MDT Print View

Sierra Designs Hurricane Rain Pants $8 (they weigh 6oz)

New Balance Minimus Shoes (leather version) $20

Merrell Trail Gloves $20

North Face Marino shirt $5

Edited by Cameron on 04/07/2013 20:13:54 MDT.

Mercutio Stencil
(fuzz2050) - F
Great deals on 04/08/2013 10:42:34 MDT Print View

An original Neo-Air for $15. It was marked as 'leaky,' so I purchased a patch kit as well. As the leak was on a seam, Cascade Designs replaced it with a brand new Neo-Air X-lite.

I also picked up two BA Insulated pads for $10 apiece, and was able to patch them up.

A great pair of Detour Transit panniers for $30.

A Craft Windshell for something like $10.

And E
(LunchANDYnner) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
lots on 04/08/2013 12:26:50 MDT Print View

Seattle has a permanent section, so lots of goodies.

Two BA IAC pads, $7, $13 easily patched, one replaced by BA, they're great.
Two REI lite core pads, ~$25 total
Mountain Hardwear Compressor PrimaLoft jacket $30
REI Trekking poles $15
Several Vibram five fingers for under $30 each

For a friend:
Deuter Futura Pro 42 - $50
ALPS Mountaineering Zephyr 2 tent- $50

Edited by LunchANDYnner on 09/04/2013 19:29:27 MDT.

Elliott Wolin
(ewolin) - MLife

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia
RE: Post your REI Garage Sale scores on 04/08/2013 14:54:48 MDT Print View

Warning...nostalgia attack ahead:

Boy do I wish I lived back in Seattle and could go to REI sales again. As a poor graduate student in the 1970's and 1980's I went to all the REI sales, and back then there was only one REI store and one annual sale (where they sold all their used rental equipment and returns).

The line for the sale could be many blocks long. The record for someone waiting on line was seven days...he camped out in the small below-grade parking lot at the old store on Capital Hill. This was in the late 1970's. I recall they let him in by himself for a few minutes, he had the entire sale section to himself (for people like me this was the closest one could get to heaven on Earth)!

My best placement in line was number 4, but this was after they started a signup sheet so people didn't have to camp out in their parking lot. I almost completely outfitted myself at those sales.

I don't think I got quite as good deals as I see in this thread, mostly what I got was about 50-70% off regular price: new Lowe Latok pack, REI Crestline tent with bottom on backwards (coating facing outside), REI minus 20F down bags about $70, and much more.

You younger folks will get like this when you are my age, so no complaints... ;-)

Sean Monahan
(Zvolen) - F

Locale: CA Central Valley
Re: RE: Post your REI Garage Sale scores on 04/08/2013 15:09:22 MDT Print View

After going to my local store I noticed the deals weren't as great as they were even a few years ago where you would regularly find items 75-90% off. Now it was more of the 30-50% which still is pretty good if you can snag something, I however was not.

And E
(LunchANDYnner) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
prices higher on 04/08/2013 16:32:44 MDT Print View

Yeah, I often find items in the garage sale section that are actually MORE expensive than the same, new item they have on sale. Saw a Marmot Precip jacket that was worn out and what not for 50 in the REI garage sale section, but REI outlet was selling the same, new item for 47.

Jim Bowie
(bucs57) - M

Locale: Southeast
REI Garage Sales on 04/08/2013 17:37:11 MDT Print View

I try to go to every time I possibly can and usually pick something up at a great deal.

Some recent finds:

LEKI Makalu Khumba hiking poles $20
MSR Hubba $75
Smart wool mid weight LS base layer $19
Cordillera 800 fill down jacket $24

Edited by bucs57 on 04/08/2013 17:37:54 MDT.

John Martin
(snapyjohn) - M

Locale: Pacific NW
Garage sales changes. on 04/08/2013 18:46:02 MDT Print View

It appears that garage sales have gone through some price matrix changes. It looks to me that REI corporate has standardized the prices. The great deals are fewer and far between. That does not mean there are not still opportunities for some great deals.

There are two types of sales the one day and the two day. I say if you are interested in a great deal shop the second day. The two day sales have progressive mark downs. The second day they mark down an additional 50%. If the starting price scares of the masses and it makes it passed over by the employees on the second day it will be a great deal.

Some stores typically the smaller ones get shipped photo shoot or display models. These don't get the structured markdowns and you can find up to 70%. If you find an item that has no visible signs of use and the tags are hand written you might have a photo shoot item.

The one day sale have better markdowns to start. I have found that about noon most stores mark down the shoes 50%. Some stores mark down everything another 20% to 30%. It sometimes pays to stay until noon. Some stores depending on the load of merchandise unsold will haggle near the end of the sales.

Not everything is a good deal. Shoes and clothes are almost always not your best deal. If you get 50% off a piece of used clothing you are not getting a good deal. You can get 50% off most any item of clothing if you buy it out of season through steep and cheep or Sierra Trading Post and even the manufacturers sites. 6PM.com Zappos's outlet has some really good deals on Patagonia among other companies. Used shoes and underwear are head scratcher for me personally.

Keep your wits about you and make sure everything works and is complete. A tent with a broken pole can be fixed for $30 or so from tent pole technologies in seattle. A pad with a leak is my favorite it scares most people off and is "easy" fix usually. Don't trust the tag. There are plenty of times the tag says hole or rip and none are present (buyers remorse). Some say used one time too small and the tent looks like it has been in a war zone.

Electronics are tricky there are loads of buyers remorse GPS'S GoPro"s and the like. Make sure the lenses are unscratched and the GPS's are reading close what your phone says. To repair a GPS makes what ever you pay too much.

The great deal high can become addicting (see my basement). A great deal on stuff you wont use is no deal at all.

jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

Locale: Northern California
"Post your REI Garage Sale scores" on 04/08/2013 19:24:32 MDT Print View

Kahtoola microspikes for $20.00. I know, not that great a deal, but the thing is, I just happened to wander in on the second day of the sale, and there they were. I can't believe that they lasted that long at that price, even in summer. Used them for two years now.

Dave Marcus
(Djrez4) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: Post your REI Garage Sale scores on 04/11/2013 12:25:09 MDT Print View

BD Hilight (1st gen) for $113.
REI SubKilo for $40
Vibram FiveFingers leather Bikila for $10
A pair of brand new Scarpa Invernos for $75
Various "non-working" bike lights for $5

Put it on the REI Visa and you still get a 5% dividend!