Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Light stream-crossing / camp shoes?

Display Avatars Sort By:
James Winstead
(James_W)

Locale: CA
Re: Light stream-crossing / camp shoes on 04/08/2013 23:39:38 MDT Print View

I 2nd or 3rd or 100th or whatever about just crossing in trail runners. If your looking for camp use out of potentially damp shoes, bring the plastic baggies from the produce aisle.

Get to camp, do your foot care routine, whatever that may or may not be, then throw your second dry socks on, put your feet in the baggies, then back in the shoes. For a long trip, maybe bring a few sets of bags if your worried about wearing them out.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Light stream-crossing / camp shoes on 04/08/2013 23:44:10 MDT Print View

"bring the plastic baggies from the produce aisle. "

Those plastic bags are also good for keeping leeches out of your socks.

--B.G.--

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: Re: Light stream-crossing / camp shoes on 04/11/2013 23:43:59 MDT Print View

Yep - +1 on plastic bag booties. I have an old a pair of golite nylon vapor barrier socks. I think they only made them for about 6-12 months after they started selling stuff. I almost always carry them. I use them exactly as described by the previous poster, plus the vapor barrier/ plastic bag socks can be used in a pinch if your feet are too cold in the morning, especially when shoving them into half frozen shoes. They really take the edge off wonderfully (and still surprisingly) - all for about an oz.

I have a fused ankle (a bit like having a cast on one of my feet). There is always some sort of narrow fallen log crossing taunting me, but grace is just not my strong area. So plowing right though the stream is the only viable option. If anyone is looking I try to pretend I wouldn't have it any other way.

Edited by millonas on 04/11/2013 23:46:29 MDT.

Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

Locale: PNW
Remove socks/insoles? on 04/12/2013 12:32:01 MDT Print View

I found it saves me sogginess and drying time to remove my socks and insoles from my shoes and replacing them after dumping the water out on the far side. Probably not really needed, but it doesn't take long and requires no extra gear.

William Segraves
(sbill9000) - F - M
Re: Light stream-crossing / camp shoes? on 04/12/2013 19:37:00 MDT Print View

When I feel like I want some stream-crossing shoes and care enough about weight to do something other than clip on a ~ 10 oz pair of plastic sandals, I usually go with Vincere Grip Sand Socks with scavenged running shoe thin foam insoles inside them for a little extra padding (< 5 oz/pair for size 12-13 feet).

Those Vivobarefoot Ultras look pretty cool. Anyone know what they weigh in largeish sizes?

Best,

Bill S.

Todd Taylor
(texasbb) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Light stream-crossing / camp shoes? on 04/12/2013 22:15:00 MDT Print View

"Those Vivobarefoot Ultras look pretty cool. Anyone know what they weigh in largeish sizes?"

I have the largest size they make (47 IIRC) and they're 4.6oz per shoe.

Thaddaeus Wharton
(Thadjw) - MLife
Thank you for answers! on 04/12/2013 23:45:51 MDT Print View

Many excellent responses to question I started (probably in wrong section and thanks for not getting me on this one -- seems like this is a good place for any potentially interesting bp discussion though).

For the interest of all debaters here I think that the best answer (in one humble person''s vieww of course) is to use bags of some type over the feet. I love zpacks stuff and after I heard this suggestion I contacted joe at zpacks and he said I'd best talk to ben of goosefeet while CCing the gentleman himself. Ben has dyneema and other fabric for this and does things of this type. He doesn't seam seal though he said. I'll see if he knows another producer that does this with enough skill to hold up for some pretty big streams.

Otherwise I may just travel light and use multiple grocery store bags ... or maybe a couple of small garbage bags ... over my shoes and just make that work. I can tromp through some streams but if I'm doing a big Sierra section I'd like to prepare to avoid some soaking at times. Thanks again for all opinions and some more opinions on this latest idea are always welcome.

(The shoe ideas all look like nice shoes but 9oz or so is not a small deal I think bros and sisses.)

Susan Papuga
(veganaloha) - M

Locale: USA
Re: Thank you for answers! on 04/14/2013 04:48:19 MDT Print View

Thad,

I wear trail runners and just cross streams with them on. However, I will admit that one of my "luxury" items is a light pair of slippers aka flip-flops. I htink mine weigh just over 5 oz, for the pair. My slippers are for camp, around town, any time I don't want to wear closed shoes. I live in slippers at home and only wear runners of any kind for athletic endeavors so my feet just aren't used to being in shoes. So the sooner I can get out of them the better after a day of hiking.

Susan