Light stream-crossing / camp shoes?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Thaddaeus Wharton
(Thadjw) - MLife
Light stream-crossing / camp shoes? on 04/07/2013 18:55:48 MDT Print View

Are there any very light stream-crossing / camp shoes that would be light enough to take on the Sierra segment of a PCT section hike? I'm trying to stay very light of course. Thanks and do you think it's worth carrying this is a question but primarily I'd like ideas of shoe make and model bc I have researched but not found very light items like this!?

Andrew Zajac
(AZajac)

Locale: South West
probably not on 04/07/2013 19:33:17 MDT Print View

What shoes are you planning on hiking in? Most people, at least in this forum and myself included, generally don't carry camp shoes and just let their shoes and feet get wet. Lightweight trail runners are comfortable enough that you don't mind wearing them around camp and they dry quickly. If you are doing long days then you probably aren't spending much time in camp anyways and wouldn't have to worry about camp shoes. If you really want some camp shoes/water crossing shoes, I think that some people will use huaraches (tarahumara style).

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Light stream-crossing / camp shoes? on 04/07/2013 19:40:26 MDT Print View

Time-wise, it is often easiest to just walk through the stream crossings without removing shoes or socks or anything. Some shoes are quicker for drying out than others.

If you have the extra time, then you can pull off your shoes before you cross. With your socks on, you don Tyvek "booties." I made some that are held together with packing tape, and they are held on the foot with some big rubber bands. Then on the other side of the stream, you can remove the Tyvek and wet socks, don dry socks and shoes, and then continue.

There are some camp shoes that weigh a few ounces each, if that seems better.

--B.G.--

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Light stream-crossing / camp shoes? on 04/07/2013 21:11:12 MDT Print View

Camp shoes can be anything from old insoles with string, flip flops, crocs, on up to a second pair of minimalist shoes. If used for water crossings then you may need something more sturdy such as crocs, etc.

There are numerous threads on the subject if you do a search.

Edited by jshann on 04/07/2013 21:21:06 MDT.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Light stream-crossing / camp shoes? on 04/07/2013 21:13:37 MDT Print View

> it is often easiest to just walk through the stream crossings without removing shoes
> or socks or anything.
+1

This IS BPL, afetr all.

Cheers

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Re: Light stream-crossing / camp shoes? on 04/07/2013 21:30:36 MDT Print View

> it is often easiest to just walk through the stream crossings without removing shoes
> or socks or anything.
+1

This IS BPL, afetr all.

-----------------------------

Yeah, but the question still seems to come up about once a week.

Daniel Pittman
(pitsy) - M

Locale: Central Texas
Better wet shoes than wet everything. on 04/07/2013 21:42:16 MDT Print View

I hate wet shoes probably more than most people, but stream crossing requires secure footing. So, give me quick-draining fast-drying trail shoes, and fluffy socks for camp. Changing shoes just to cross a stream sounds like a PITA, and carrying an extra pair of shoes ain't even on my to-do list.

Todd Taylor
(texasbb) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
This is what you want on 04/07/2013 22:30:42 MDT Print View

http://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/mens/ultra-pure-mens.html

The day mine arrived in the mail I hauled about a half dozen pairs of Crocs, water shoes, sand socks, and other attempts to solve the stream-crossing-and-camp-shoe problem to the thrift store.

Daniel Pittman
(pitsy) - M

Re: This is what you want on 04/07/2013 22:39:42 MDT Print View

Fifty Bucks?! WalMart sells water shoes for ten bucks!

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Just get yer feet wet on 04/08/2013 08:00:19 MDT Print View

I, too, struggled with lots and lots and lots and lots of attempts at "stream crossing" and camp shoes... As soon as I tried trail runners I realized I didn't actually need camp shoes.

Then on a trip to the winds last year a fellow BPLer who I was lucky enough to have him join our trip egged me on and convinced me to just cross! in my shoes. Well...it wasn't the horror I thought it would be and actually felt kinda good! My shoes dried in about a half hour or so of walking and I was completely fine. Honest!!

So now, thanks to mark, I am a total convert. I even did it last weekend in 40 deg temps (quel horreur!!) and again, I was fine and I lived!

So end your search and just go for it. Just keep on walking........stream or no stream...

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Just get yer feet wet on 04/08/2013 10:50:23 MDT Print View

Yup, i had some thin, black nylon socks which were primarily nylon microfiber in content, and my Teva shoe/sandal hybrid footwear (i forget the model name), got the lot wet, and it all dried out fairly fast and wasn't that uncomfortable.

Btw, i was surprised that the thin nylon socks didn't stink more after hiking for 14 mi, as well as sleeping in them and wearing the previous day also.

Apparently nylon is less stinky than polyester..?

In a perfect world, they would make a 60% Linen 40% nylon microfiber sock, shirt, shorts etc or just fabric in general... alas, we do not live in a perfect world.

david mathis
(greenflowers)

Locale: West
Ultrapure on 04/08/2013 11:33:29 MDT Print View

I love my Vivobarefoot ultra pure camp / creek shoes!

Angus A.
(mangus7175) - F

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com
Garden Shoes on 04/08/2013 11:46:54 MDT Print View

Bought these a few months ago...weighs less than 6 oz. for the pair. Not bad for $10

http://www.target.com/p/room-essentials-garden-shoe-gray/-/A-14321510#?lnk=sc_qi_detaillink

Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

Locale: Outside
Patagonia Advocate stitch toe on 04/08/2013 13:22:35 MDT Print View

Patagonia makes the Mens advocate also that weigh 4.2 oz. Though it does not indicate whether that is for the pair or per shoe. but sow those in REI and they looked really nice.

Daniel Pittman
(pitsy) - M

Re: Garden Shoes on 04/08/2013 14:18:32 MDT Print View

Them are fugly!

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Light stream-crossing / camp shoes? on 04/08/2013 14:35:07 MDT Print View

I have been looking for a pair of really thin and light flip-flops for changing out of my wet shoes at camp, but everything I find seems to have really thick soles.

Todd Taylor
(texasbb) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: This is what you want on 04/08/2013 19:09:34 MDT Print View

"Fifty Bucks?! WalMart sells water shoes for ten bucks!"

Yep, there was a pair of those among the load I took to the thrift store. There are several issues with the Wally World shoes:

1) They absorb water, so they can't be used as camp shoes when it's cold (if you crossed any streams recently).

2) They weigh at least double, sometimes triple what the Vivos weigh.

3) They don't pack nearly as small.

4) They don't come in size 15. Okay, maybe you don't care about that one, but I do.

The $50 was certainly painful, but it's a lot less than I've spent through the years on all the other fails. I'm happy. :-)

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Just get yer feet wet on 04/08/2013 19:15:39 MDT Print View

For colder temps I take Gore Tex socks to wear inside my wet shoes. My feet stay warm and dry. My body heat helps dry the shoes faster than them just sitting out. Just a thought.

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
shoes on 04/08/2013 19:48:49 MDT Print View

Not necessary.

Andrew U
(anarkhos) - M

Locale: Colorado, Wyoming
Barefoot? on 04/08/2013 19:55:20 MDT Print View

Am I the only person willing to go barefoot? Granted the only water I ever cross isn't exactly a raging river and it's pretty pristine and clear so I can see what I'm doing, but still...