Forum Index » GEAR » Hat Options

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Shirt can help on 04/07/2013 18:12:39 MDT Print View

There are lots of good light nylon shirts with vents like the Ex Officio Airstrip Light and REI Sahara. If you are really serious about sun protection, check out the Solumbra brand of shirts and jackets.

This is one reason I wish that Patagonia made a white Houdini. Sounds like a cocktail, eh? Gimme a white Houdini with a twist!

The bandana and string trick is very effective. You can still use the bandana with the string attached for all the other usual chores and hang it up to dry in camp. If you really want to get fancy, add a toggle for Q&D adjustment. Those who sew could do a Velcro Hat Trick :)

I have a white one rigged like this somewhere. I Like the Nike Drifit hats. Look for them at Nike Outlet stores.
Bandana hat trick

Edited by dwambaugh on 04/07/2013 18:35:57 MDT.

Ian Van Halen
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
That's great on 04/07/2013 19:12:20 MDT Print View

I love cheap and simple solutions. I'm going to incorporate that idea into my gear.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Shirt can help on 04/07/2013 19:23:16 MDT Print View

Dale, if you put the bandana inside the hat's head band, it will help absorb excess perspiration. Then you won't need any elastic band or toggle.

--B.G.--

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Q&D bandana sun hat neck cape on 04/07/2013 19:40:18 MDT Print View

Not a bad idea for an on the fly solution, Bob. I prefer the looser sides on the string arrangement for more air and the fact that my huge noggin is usually pushing hats to maximum capacity--- to the brim if you will :)

jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

Locale: Northern California
"Hat Options" on 04/07/2013 19:49:23 MDT Print View

A typical cotton bandana has a spf/uvb of 7-10. Most sunblocks begin at 30. Cotton just doesn't get it done. Get a real bandana that actually blocks sun. If you can hold your cotton bandana up to the sun and light shines through--and it does--it's rotten for sun protection.

Bob likes to put a dab of sunscreen on his nose under a ball cap and he's done. It's true that this has worked for him. My take is: you put a dab of cologne on before a date; you SMEAR sunscreen on your face and neck and especially your ears, Bob, which aren't protected AT ALL by a ball cap. But then most of your face isn't protected by a ball cap either. My Dermatologist--the guy who cut out my cancerous melanoma--told me that noses and ears are most susceptible to sun. Of course, mine got me on the cheek, so who knows?

I realize that I've become a nag on this topic.

Edited by book on 04/07/2013 19:51:56 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: "Hat Options" on 04/07/2013 19:54:49 MDT Print View

Jeffrey, Jeffrey, what are we going to do with you?

If you had bothered to read my post, I mentioned the use of a bandana tucked under my ball cap so that it hangs down. If you have a large enough bandana, it will cover front to back and side to side. The only place that I get sunburned is on the backs of my hands. I do have some lightweight cotton gloves that weigh 0.36 ounce per pair.

I'm also sorry that you use inferior bandanas. Very little light gets through a good one.

--B.G.--

jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

"Hat Options" on 04/07/2013 20:14:11 MDT Print View

Hey you know what Bob, I re-read your post and you're right. "90% of my face is covered". So good on you. True, it takes TWO bandanas under your little ballcap stuffed under the brim and then clipped together awkwardly, but I suppose that might work.

Gee, maybe just get a real hat?

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: "Hat Options" on 04/07/2013 20:24:15 MDT Print View

Interesting specs on cotton bandanas and SPF. I've never had a problem and I'll have to take a look at some of my sun hats for comparison.

I wonder how SPF is determined for fabrics? My guess is that the angle and movement of the subject has some influential factors vs a square of cloth spread out in some sort of test frame.

My little makeshift sun cape provides some shade and evaporative cooling. Works for me in my shady PNW weather and forest cover.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: "Hat Options" on 04/07/2013 20:32:53 MDT Print View

"True, it takes TWO bandanas under your little ballcap stuffed under the brim and then clipped together awkwardly, but I suppose that might work."

Jeffrey, Jeffrey, you keep trying to spin my words for a different meaning. Why do that?

As I stated previously, I use two bandanas only for cold and sunny weather. That means spring skiing, and that is mostly because of the light reflected off the snow surface back up toward me.

For summer, it is one bandana and the hat.

I also try to plan my routes so that I am facing away from the sun more than I am facing into the sun.

--B.G.--

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: "Hat Options" on 04/07/2013 20:35:06 MDT Print View

I only use a hat to:

- keep cool in deserts (Tilley)

- keep head dry in rain (REI eVent baseball cap)

- keep warm (beanie)

Most of the time head wear is in or attached to pack, so I can work on my suntan.

Tilley Hat

Above: working on suntan. Hat not needed until temp goes above 90F.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
My hat too! on 04/07/2013 20:53:48 MDT Print View

Dale,

Do you have the OR Windstopper Peruvian?

Beautiful choice. I hope I see you while we're both wearing it someday.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: "Hat Options" on 04/07/2013 20:56:03 MDT Print View

you're both wrong : )

sunscreen is not effective

http://www.ewg.org/2012sunscreen/sunscreens-exposed/health-agencies-question-sunscreen-efficacy/

sunscreens block the UV that causes sunburn but aren't proven effective against UVA and UVB that cause skin cancer and skin ageing

zinc and titanium are better, but they stay on surface and smear off easily

there are some other ones that might work a little

there's an unintended consequence - if the sunscreen prevents sunburn, you'll stay out longer so you'll actually get more UVA and UVB

the best thing is to cover - hat with brim all the way around, yes, turn up collar even if it's reminescent of disco, long sleeve shirt and pants, put your hands in your pockets?

or stay in the shade during the 6 worst hours

jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

Hat Options on 04/07/2013 21:08:03 MDT Print View

Bob: whatever, we're talking about hats and bandanas here. Anyway, in my initial post, when I mentioned your name, I suppose it reads like I was calling you out when that wasn't my intention. Again, the internet and its lack of inflection.

Dale pictured a cotton bandana. I stand by my remarks about cotton bandanas not working well for sun protection. But again, so what? Anyway, I projected that cotton bandana onto your set-up. Obviously, you're working with a superior bandana. So good.

As for my using an inferior bandana, well, I don't use a bandana at all.

Anyway, I'm going to work this up and send it off to Raffi. The bandana song.

Jerry, just read your post. Agreed, zinc/titanium and cover up. when I write about sunscreen I mean zinc/titanium.

Edited by book on 04/07/2013 21:11:59 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: My hat too! on 04/08/2013 00:20:22 MDT Print View

"Do you have the OR Windstopper Peruvian?"

I did have one of the OR Peruvian hats and they are great. BUT, they don't make it XL and the large is a little tight on me. The North Face makes a similar hat (High Point) and their large is larger than the OR large (I love that phrase) so I sold the OR and kept the TNF model. Capisce? :)

It must be a centuries old Inca design and it works for me.

Joel Benford
(Morte66) - F - M

Locale: Surrey flatlands, England
Be sure to vent hot air on 04/08/2013 05:48:48 MDT Print View

Whatever you end up with for summer, make sure anything that traps air has more ventilation than a couple of little holes in the side. That just doesn't work, you need something measured in square inches.

I have a Tilley T5MO with the mesh insert, which I find tolerable (I'm a sweaty fat guy who has spent more on hats than his most expensive jacket). I've also seen hats from Outdoor Research and Columbia Sports that look like they ought to work well, but they don't make them big enough for me.

Pete Staehling
(staehpj1) - F
wide brimmed hat on 04/08/2013 07:19:14 MDT Print View

I have to say that I am amazed by suggestions of a buff in warm weather. Not knocking it if it works for you, but I can't stand even a light beanie over just the tops of my ears much above 50 F. I'll stick with my Outdoor Research Papyrus Brim Hat or something similar.

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Shirt can help on 04/08/2013 09:35:38 MDT Print View

Ian, I've also got a fishing shirt that works great for hot weather. Mine is from Cabelas and the collar is designed taller in the back so it can protect your neck from the sun but also rolls down and looks like a normal collar. The back and side venting is very nice and the fabric is also very light and is UPF 40. Its my favorite summer shirt even if my wife thinks I look dorky. I haven't gone fishing since I was a kid but I don't run much either and that doesn't stop be from wearing running shorts!

Adam

Ian Van Halen
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Shirt can help on 04/08/2013 09:50:16 MDT Print View

Our poor wives! I love living on the west coast because dressing up usually means wearing my best Carharts. I'm still looking at some other sun hat options so I'm not going to win any fashion contests in the near future.

My EB shirt is basically the same thing with vents, copious pockets including a napoleon zippered pocket, sleeves that button up for short sleeve weather (counterproductive for this thread), etc. I can't remember the blend but it's fine for the outdoors and the weave appears to be tight enough to be insect proof.

Looks like EB has been redoubling their efforts to stay relevant in the outdoors. I picked up these shirts on clearance for <$20 each and a down sweater on clearance for $22ish.

My wife bought me a Columbia fishing shirt for Christmas which sounds like your Cabella’s shirt.

K P
(Schado6) - MLife
Another Option on 04/08/2013 20:30:08 MDT Print View

I found this gem online, combines the a hat with a bandana (need to weigh it, haven't done so yet):

http://www.billibandana.com

I specifically ordered: http://www.billibandana.com/desert-blackmauve.html to show some flair and color on my outings :)

edited for typo.

4/20: Had opportunity to weigh it, 3.2oz (lighter than my Tilly and lots of options for use). Used it on a 4 1/2 mile hike this am.

Edited by Schado6 on 04/20/2013 18:23:28 MDT.

Everett Vinzant
(wn7ant) - MLife

Locale: CDT
My opinion on the Buff on 04/20/2013 16:58:09 MDT Print View

I went with one to replace a cotton bandana. The Buff does everything a bandana will do and more. My writeup is available here:

http://wn7ant.com/2013/04/20/uv-buff/