Forum Index » GEAR » Hat Options

Display Avatars Sort By:
Steven Davis
(StevenDavisPhoto) - M

Locale: SF Bay Area
Hat Options on 04/07/2013 15:49:14 MDT Print View

So, for a warm weather "hat" I just got a buff. You can use them for so many different things and they dry super quickly. For colder/night weather I got an REI Airflyte Beanie. I don't think you really need a think beanie or a wide brimmed hat for day time. Thoughts?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Hat Options on 04/07/2013 15:52:27 MDT Print View

What's going to keep the sun off your face, neck, ears. etc..? Cover up.

I love my Buffs. They are no subsitute for proper sun protection.

Read what happened after your post here.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=54401&skip_to_post=643104#643104

Edited by kthompson on 04/07/2013 15:54:44 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re: Hat Options on 04/07/2013 15:56:16 MDT Print View

I wear an Eddie Bauer sun hat and sometimes will put a damp buff underneath it.

Steven Davis
(StevenDavisPhoto) - M

:( on 04/07/2013 15:56:20 MDT Print View

A buff doesnt protect from the sun? :( Darn.

Steven Davis
(StevenDavisPhoto) - M

buff on 04/07/2013 16:00:53 MDT Print View

What about this one though? I don't have this one, but I might get it.

http://www.rei.com/product/789709/buff-uv-buff-with-insect-shield

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: buff on 04/07/2013 16:02:36 MDT Print View

Really?

Steven Davis
(StevenDavisPhoto) - M

what? on 04/07/2013 16:03:52 MDT Print View

what? im new to this. be nice.

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Hat Options on 04/07/2013 16:06:26 MDT Print View

I also like my Buff over a wide range of temperature but during warmer weather I prefer a ball cap to keep the sun out of my eyes. I just got a Sunday Afternoons Sun Tripper hat and like it quite a bit. I'm not a fan of full brimmed hats but there are lots of tree where I hike so I'm not in direct sunlight very much. I'm probably too lax about sun protection but I do sometimes tuck a bandana into my hat to shield my neck. For cool weather (at least as cold as it gets here) I think the Buff works fine during the day.

Adam

Jan S
(karl-ton)
Re: buff on 04/07/2013 16:06:34 MDT Print View

Does this UPF stuff actually work? Judging by my white skin I usually have where my normal clothes are I've always considered this to be a marketing gag.

Brims are a great idea however.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: buff on 04/07/2013 16:13:58 MDT Print View

unless you are wearing it over your face all day it's not going to cover your face and nose.

on the E coast i like a light nylon baseball hat. we don't have as much time above treeline or open desert areas to worry about full coverage.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
Hat options on 04/07/2013 16:18:44 MDT Print View

I use a Buff in the winter, but for summer I use a wde brim visor with this bandana.

http://www.coolibar.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=155710

Keeps the head protected from UV and protects the neck from getting sunburned.

Or I wear my Sunday Afternoon Sport hat, goofy looking I know, but it works, especialy above tree line.

Steven, don't worry about Ken, he's harmless most of the time. LOL

Jack

Edited by jumpbackjack on 04/07/2013 16:21:05 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: my fried head on 04/07/2013 16:27:20 MDT Print View

What is the answer to my very first question? How will you keep the sun off the areas where you don't want it? Any fabric has some UV protection. But unless you are going to wear the buff over your entire head you'll need to create some shade for youself. Sunscreen is not a long term solution when backpacking.

Steven Davis
(StevenDavisPhoto) - M

sunscreen on 04/07/2013 16:29:54 MDT Print View

no, good point, but "really?" isnt very helpful. im a newb. youre not. so nicely educate me, i'm open to it :)

i'll probably buy something with a brim now, thanks to everyone's input. what is wrong with sunscreen though?

Edited by StevenDavisPhoto on 04/07/2013 16:30:35 MDT.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Wear the hat! on 04/07/2013 16:38:49 MDT Print View

Carrying sunscreen on a backpacking trip is annoying. Reapplying is annoying. it's easy to forget, and then you're burned.

I use a wide-brim Tilley hat, but a few companies like OR make really lightweight wide-brimmed hats that don't look dorky, like the Helios.

I prefer clothing covering to sunscreen. Less oily, and you can't forget!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: buff on 04/07/2013 16:39:09 MDT Print View

My mistake. I thought your second post was sarcasm.

Sunscreen, Too greasy, smelly and needs to be reapplied too often when spending entire days outside. Better to cover up.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: sunscreen on 04/07/2013 16:47:11 MDT Print View

sunscreen sweats off, washes off, doesn't provide cooling shade, doesn't protect your eyes, needs to be reapplied.. weighs more

cap with a brim provides shade, can be dunked in water for cooling, shields your eyes, my Columbia nylon hat weighs 1.6oz

Steven Davis
(StevenDavisPhoto) - M

nice on 04/07/2013 17:00:14 MDT Print View

thanks for the input guys. this site is a life-saver, and im sure it has been literally at least a few times :)

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Hat Options on 04/07/2013 17:37:58 MDT Print View

After decades of hiking, backpacking, and X-C skiing, I've standardized my hats. For a pleasant day without too much sun, I wear a standard baseball cap with a PTFE liner. If it gets sunny, then I stick a bandana over my head under the ball cap, so it mostly protects my neck and ears. If it gets cool, I fold up the bandana so that it becomes the insulated liner inside the ball cap.

If it gets cold, then I pull on a down beanie over the ball cap. If it gets cold and sunny, I use the bandana along with a second bandana. I tie or pin two corners together to make a long rectangular bandana. That goes over my head, under the ball cap. It is long enough that the sides hang down to my neck, and the bandanas open in the center for me to see through, so my face is about 90% covered. One drop of sunscreen on the nose finishes that.

--B.G.--

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Hat Options on 04/07/2013 17:49:17 MDT Print View

Yup, light fleecy beanies for sleep and cooler weather, and Windstopper Peruvian style caps with ear flaps for colder stuff. I like the light beanies as they stow easy, along with light liner-style gloves.

Wide brimmed hats for sun, like a Tilley or Sunday Afternoons Adventure hat, or something baseball cap-like with a neck cape like the Outdoor Research Sunrunner. You can improvise a Sunrunner with a billed cap and a bandana or microfiber pack towel with a piece of line tied to two corners and the line draped across the front of the cap.

For rain, the OR Seattle Sombrero rules. I just acquired a Sunday Afternoons Oregon the Cloudburst hat. I never knew they made other than sun hats. It has the broad foam-supported brim around front and sides and loose fabric on the back, just like the sun hats, but the fabric is WP/breathable and seam taped. It has a wicking lining and neck strap like the OR hats. The nice part about the fabric on the rear is that it doesn't hang up on your pack.

http://www.sundayafternoons.com/men/winter-hats/rain-hats/oregon-cloudburst-rain-hat.html

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Shirt can help on 04/07/2013 18:04:50 MDT Print View

I'm a child of the '80s so I'm not afraid to pop my collar. I normally wear a t shirt on warm sunny days but after losing a friend to cancer, I'm trying to clean up my act.

I can't remember the name of the line but I picked up a couple shirts from Eddie Bauer on clearance to help with the bugs and sun. They have several nice features for backpacking but relevant to this thread, I like that I can pop the collar for added sun protection. I was planning on buying a sun runner in lieu of a bandana but after reading Bob and Dale's suggestions, I may not need to retire my Tacoma Rainiers hat after all.

So if you see someone in the trail with a popped collar, pegged hiking pants, and a Walkman blasting Flock of Seagulls, it's just me.