Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Caldera cone vs MYOG?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: weight on 04/09/2013 15:21:50 MDT Print View

If you have two pieces of metal, one aluminum and one titanium, and if the dimensions are identical, then the titanium piece will be heavier. However, titanium is generally much stronger than aluminum. Therefore, the titanium piece can be much thinner for equivalent strength, and that is what makes the titanium piece lighter. Then, if the application requires lots of heat tolerance, the titanium piece will win on that. The aluminum piece has a certain amount of heat tolerance, and that is all.

For example, they made the SR-71 Blackbird skin out of titanium, not aluminum or steel.

--B.G.--

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA
Re: Re: Re: weight on 04/09/2013 17:36:48 MDT Print View

Yes I was a little confused by this too. I ordered .005 Ti off ebay. I'm have no way of telling if that is what i actually received. although im inclined to think its not because I made a Ti windscreen for a Fosters can similar specs to Suluk46's and mine weighed about 10g more..
As for the alum.. I just found a piece of thin flashing in my garage. Based on its feel I think its much thinner than what one would normally use.
Sounds like it's the gauge then. Well, for 1/3 of an ounce, I wouldn't sweat it too much. It'll probably hold up very well. I've placed a pan up on top of my titanium cone and done eggs and such. Works well. Titanium is also better with wood.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
Re: Caldera cone vs MYOG? on 04/09/2013 20:27:20 MDT Print View

Make one yourself based on using a $7.00 Kmart grease pot. Design the height of the screen to fit inside the pot. I can recommend a burner to use inside it, PM me for the info.

Paul Ashton
(PDA123) - F

Locale: Eastern Mass
Cone windshield on 04/10/2013 14:52:23 MDT Print View

If you use a stove which is also a stand, such as the white box, or Bios stoves, thenthe windscreen does not need to be so heavy. Also applues when using butane cartridge stoves. Here's a "how to" for a clip on cone windscreen - lighter, and packs small.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6C19jakM9Q

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA
Re: Cone windshield on 04/11/2013 01:15:50 MDT Print View

Well, that windscreen in the video is OK for an upright canister, but it will never be as good of a protection against wind as a windscreen that sits on the ground. Wind can sweep in under the edge and create all kinds of vortices. Of course a suspended windscreen (like the one in the video) is a lot better than nothing.

Then there's another issue: Efficiency. A Caldera Cone doesn't just protect you from wind. No, no, no. There's a whole lot more going on. A Caldera Cone entrains hot exhaust gasses and channels them up the sides of the pot, transferring more heat to the pot. A Caldera Cone also traps to a significant degree heat under the pot and prevents convective heat loss in a way that an open bottomed windscreen (like the one in the video) cannot. Thirdly, a Caldera Cone only allows air inflows through openings in the base of the windscreen. The Caldera Cone via these inlet holes and the exit holes along the top of the cone controls the overall flow of air in such a way that more efficient burning takes place. Lastly, the Caldera Cone is built such that one side of the cone has the inlet holes. If you turn the inlet holes away from the wind, then you get some significant wind protection while still having the controlled air flow that makes the Caldera Cone so efficient. No open bottomed windscreen can begin to equal this.

In short, the Caldera Cone is a very sophisticated, well tuned piece of equipment that a suspended windscreen has no hope of matching. Don't look at a Caldera Cone as just a windscreen. A Caldera Cone is a total air flow control and exhaust entrainment system as well as an extremely stable pot support -- in addition to being a windscreen.

The suspended windscreen is great for an upright canister stove -- you do NOT want to use a Caldera Cone with an upright canister stove, but for an alcohol stove the Caldera Cone is vastly superior in terms of wind protection, pot stability, and efficiency. Sure, you might save some weight with a suspended windscreen, but you'd lose efficiency, stability, and windproofness.

HJ
Adventures in Stoving

Edited by hikin_jim on 04/11/2013 01:25:38 MDT.