Canister failure: has this happened to you?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Scariest thing of all. on 04/08/2013 17:06:31 MDT Print View

Gjj

Gh

Edited by T.L. on 04/08/2013 17:09:20 MDT.

Richard Fischel
(RICKO) - F
Link? on 04/08/2013 17:16:36 MDT Print View

that link will take you to the offical end of the internets - you really don't want to go there.

Edited by RICKO on 04/08/2013 17:20:23 MDT.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Every time you tease Max... on 04/08/2013 17:23:41 MDT Print View

"At least Max didn't say he worked at REI and would be happy to answer any questions we had"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCC_PxRWVI4

^o^

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
What to do if gas is leaking out on 04/08/2013 17:24:23 MDT Print View

Attempting to remain entirely factual and helpful ... :-)

If gas is leaking from the neoprene valve inside the canister, then something must be propping the valve open ever so slightly. After all, when you bought the canister it was not leaking. Something has happened while the canister was in your hands.

What is causing the leak, and how to fix it?

The most common cause for a leak is dirt. It usually gets there because the user did not store the canister in a clean place with the plastic cap on it. The cap is essential: it keeps the dirt out. Do NOT throw it out!

If the leak is due to some wedged dirt, then getting it out can be easy. Find a clean place well away from any flames. Take a CLEAN nail or bit of wire which will fit into the hole in the middle of the spigot. I find the short end (hook end) of a Ti wire stake to be very good. Place the wire in the hole and tap it downwards. This should release a puff (or a short blast) of gas. Don't make it a feeble tap: you want a good short blast. Hopefully, that will blow whatever dirt was in there right out.

You can check by submerging the canister in clean water or you can cup your hand around the Lindal valve and pour some water in. Bubbles are bad.

If, on the other hand, the gas is leaking from between the stove and the canister, then you are either missing the O-ring completely, haven't screwed the stove on properly, or the O-ring is damaged. The fix is obvious. Do not hesitate to replace the O-ring if damaged - and put a smear of silicone grease on it when you do.

Cheers

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: What to do if gas is leaking out on 04/08/2013 17:27:46 MDT Print View

Roger, can the o-rings get cold and rigid enough to allow gas to leak?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Link? on 04/08/2013 17:45:33 MDT Print View

The Official Max Dilthey Fan Club with it's 27 members is there.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Max is the man! on 04/08/2013 17:52:36 MDT Print View

27 more than I have in mine.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
The Re-Education of Max Dilthey on 04/08/2013 17:58:25 MDT Print View

Sorry folks, but I'm gonna stick my neck out and say it.

Calling someone out on a statement and goofing around is one thing but writing a few pages of paternal/maternal sounding advice (as well as a few meaner statements) to a complete stranger is a bit patronizing and borders on outright arrogance.

The World vs. Max is starting to reek of bored internet gossips that have found a new whipping boy.

What's next? Does he have to apologize, promise to act better, and some older and presumably wiser BPL stranger absolves him?

I'm glad he's sticking to his guns.

Cheers Max.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Scariest thing of all. on 04/08/2013 18:09:02 MDT Print View

Mean would be if we made that page up.

We all can take turns taking the heat.

Like so many told me last year. "It's just a website, relax." "Why you such a douchebag?" etc...

I doubt anyone means real harm or is being seriously hateful.

Bet he's gotten some PMs as well.

Max can give his take. Or his club can defend him:)

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: The Re-Education of Max Dilthey on 04/08/2013 18:09:03 MDT Print View

Craig,

You are correct and sometimes there is a fine line between good natured teasing among pears and cruelty. I make the assumption that Max understands that my jibes towards him are in fun and that I mean him no malice but it may not come through the internet that way.

EDIT HOLY COW DID I SAY PEARS? "peers!"

Edited by IDBLOOM on 04/08/2013 18:20:18 MDT.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: The Re-Education of Max Dilthey on 04/08/2013 18:10:12 MDT Print View

+1 Craig

I hope Max comes up with some clever response

Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

Locale: Outside
internet bullies on 04/08/2013 18:15:50 MDT Print View

Craig- I sort of agree with you there. Some of the advice/responses I just laugh and picture a person in an old cardigan. Yur response on the other hand had me laughing out loud. But to be honest I've seen much worse. On forums where anonymity is necessary, I've seen peoples whole lives posted because they pissed the wrong person off. Along with libraries of pictures that were taken from Myspace/facebook and photo shopped in ways most people would not want to be pictured.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
HA! on 04/08/2013 18:27:14 MDT Print View

Ok, I'm not mad. I'm amused! When it's easy to separate good-natured ribbing from straight sardonicism, I'm on board. Last page or so was a helluva lot more fun than some of the other stuff.

Yes, the fan club is real. HA!

All 27 members are friends. When you're nice to everybody you meet, and uphold yourself as a good guy, and when you're too social for your own good, and when you take on 15-20 copy-editing jobs a semester for people who need their term papers edited, you become popular for the right reasons and that group was not at all sarcastic or mean. I forgot about it until now, actually, as I don't use Facebook anymore (too many ads...).

I love walking around my college campus. Bam! High-five from the basketball team. Wham! Knuckles with the theater kids. It's fun being me in real life, where naiveté and crushing optimism come off as endearing and trust-inspiring.

I get ribbed all the time for stuff similar to the stuff in this forum... but in real life it's easy to tell when someone's smiling with me.

I GUESS I'll stick around... this doesn't seem like a big deal. Thanks for the PM's, people.

P.S. I use my real name on here for a reason. I have a Google Plus, and I also have a profile page for my writing over at Demand Studios. My life, and my experience hiking and biking, is no secret. You can go through it if you really want to...

Dig deep. When I was 16, I made a Myspace page because a girl told me to.

Edited by mdilthey on 04/08/2013 18:32:23 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: What to do if gas is leaking out on 04/08/2013 18:28:23 MDT Print View

If you follow Roger's good instructions to put some silicone grease on the big stove o-ring, you could borrow a tiny bit to lube the needle before assembly.

+1000 on keeping the dirt out of the works and keeping the cap in place. A bit of windblown pine needle, sand, etc in the opening of the valve is not good. Food bits could easily end up in there. Likewise, you want to keep that crud out of the needle opening too. Storing propane cylinders for a blowtorch in a shop prone to flying sawdust has produced similar exciting phenomena. Oops!

What would I do with a leaking cylinder? Distance, lots of distance. Or just leave the stove attached.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Scariest thing of all. on 04/08/2013 18:41:14 MDT Print View

"Like so many told me last year. "It's just a website, relax." "Why you such a douchebag?" etc..."

But you were a douchebag......

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: The Re-Education of Max Dilthey on 04/08/2013 18:43:29 MDT Print View

"EDIT HOLY COW DID I SAY PEARS? "peers!""

Thanks for that edit. I thought you were talking about some fruit fight or something...... I thought it was weird, but it did 'move' me, if you know what I mean..... Something about fruit always turns me on.....

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Scariest thing of all. on 04/08/2013 18:44:51 MDT Print View

were?

Thanks for the compliment.

This too shall pass.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Scariest thing of all. on 04/08/2013 18:46:01 MDT Print View

"were?"

I was giving you credit for time served.....

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

@ Douglas on 04/08/2013 19:00:22 MDT Print View

As I mentioned to my wife the other day...

"As a man who has had to live on MREs, I don't appreciate you saying that I can't appreciate the pain of childbirth."

I know... TMI.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: @ Douglas on 04/08/2013 19:16:09 MDT Print View

Ooo, does consuming multiple MREs make you feel like you're s#itting a coconut?