Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Canister failure: has this happened to you?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: It's the internet. on 04/06/2013 17:03:03 MDT Print View

Max, the real issue has nothing to do with any one particular instance.

I'll be sitting with Doug by the fireplace drinking scotch, listening to Abraham Lincoln, Mickey Mouse, Einstein, and George Carlin discuss the meaning of life. You're welcome to join us.

Edited by T.L. on 04/06/2013 17:06:58 MDT.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Don't Worry on 04/06/2013 17:04:00 MDT Print View

Aw Max, you're not kicked out of the club. You're just talking to a bunch of geezers (and yes, I include my own menopausal self in that category) who like to smack around young whipper snappers who seem very sure of their choices.

One of the defining characteristics of "wisdom" is the realization that you don't know much, even regarding things you are supposedly an "expert" about. You just seem to have a knack for being righter than everyone else...or just coming across that way.

And honestly I don't mean this to be mean, but just to share my observations as to why you seem to get in a lot of trouble here ;)

As well as most of us really, really, really need to get out and hike. Really.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Re: Don't Worry on 04/06/2013 17:11:24 MDT Print View

22 student trip? Eek........

There are days (99% of them) I am glad I am not 23 years old anymore. You get poked because you are too easy to mess with.

Oh yeah, and who wants to be an expert? The one who is an "expert" gets noticed when stuff goes wrong. It is why if I EVER disappear and/or get hurt on a hike, my husband is to claim I was a newbie hiker who hated nature. Lol......

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Ha! on 04/06/2013 17:20:40 MDT Print View

The only thing I have learned here is that Max is Spanish. I had no idea.

Ola.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
That's probably it. on 04/06/2013 17:27:09 MDT Print View

I do research as part of my job. I find information on things, confirm accuracy and reliability, and become an "expert" on a subject in hours instead of years. It's part of being freelance.

So, in my hobbies, I'm either really right or really, really wrong. Since I'm only a pretend expert, I can miss the mark and not realize it. it doesn't happen often, and it doesn't happen at all in my professional life (I could lose my job for being inaccurate.)

That rubs people the wrong way here, even when my intention is to save someone else the legwork of either looking something up or explaining something to someone else. And it's always something stupid, like trying to say durability matters in a rain shell (Hiss! Heretic!)

But I'm always, always repeating the catch-all phrases of "I'm sure I could be wrong" in everything I type. It never matters. Like I said, I'm kind of done asking questions... It's not worth the trouble, really. I still like contributing once in a while and I take the time to PM a few individuals with specific questions.

Edited by mdilthey on 04/06/2013 17:31:48 MDT.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Don't ever try and find out the counter-argument on 04/06/2013 17:37:17 MDT Print View

Oh yeah, and BPL suicide seems to be asking "Why" something is a bad choice. Those threads ALWAYS end in tears, haha.

Jan S
(karl-ton)
Re: That's probably it. on 04/06/2013 17:43:03 MDT Print View

Max

There is a difference between an expert who read things and an expert who has experienced things. Since most people here do not seem to be very young or inexperienced and altogether more on the smart side, I'm not sure they're convinced by book experts (I know I'm not).

Aside from that some posts from you read a bit like an opinion piece in a newspaper. I'm not sure if I'm the only one but reading these always makes me want to burn the newspaper. And the "I'm sure I could be wrong" part is just part of the opinion piece language and I just translate it as: My editor told me I have to write this. Otherwise we could be sued. Just ignore it. I'm right. I read a book on the topic.

Right, back to bending back pack stays.

Edited by karl-ton on 04/06/2013 17:44:42 MDT.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA
Re: Re: Don't Worry on 04/06/2013 17:52:54 MDT Print View

As well as most of us really, really, really need to get out and hike. Really.
I sure do. Yeesh.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: That's probably it. on 04/06/2013 17:55:47 MDT Print View

See Max, you're doing it again...you've just made my point.

I was a journalist for 15 years before becoming a PT. I was a national and international producer for ABC network news, and my job consisted of producing pieces for World News Tonight, GMA, Nightline...yes, I appreciate that you have to know your stuff before writing a piece, interviewing a subject, whatever. But you know what? You are absolutely NO expert on the material you research. Yeah, you have to know enough to ask good questions, not get sued, convey information in a basic way, etc.

But consider this some career advice: you've got to be open to information, ideas, etc; you have to realize you not only don't know everything, but that in fact you know nothing. Otherwise you just keep fishing for information that validates what you already think you know instead of actually learning something. Always try to prove yourself wrong...otherwise all your reasoning is biased and filtered.

And now I'm going back to learning how to pack my new circuit for its inaugural trip next weekend. Yeah!

Edited by Jenmitol on 04/06/2013 17:56:33 MDT.

Mark Fowler
(KramRelwof) - MLife

Locale: Namadgi
What happens when a canister explodes on 04/06/2013 17:58:06 MDT Print View

I hope never to have a problem with a gas canister but I have seen what happens if one explodes after watching an idiot throw several full canisters into bonfire. As expected they go bang but they do not become a mass of shrapnel. A seam splits and the canister becomes a self propelled object for a few seconds. It lands intact. If it hit you it would hurt but not take off any body parts, and there would be some burnt/singed flesh/clothing.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: That's probably it. on 04/06/2013 18:18:31 MDT Print View

"That rubs people the wrong way here, even when my intention is to save someone else the legwork of either looking something up or explaining something to someone else. And it's always something stupid, like trying to say durability matters in a rain shell (Hiss! Heretic!)"

Max,

Perhaps I can offer a different perspective that you might find useful, or not. In my opinion, very, very few people take issue with what you have to say in these forums. Very, very few people have any issues with being disagreed with. You've played the victim card a few times here already and claim groupthink by others, yet I can't think of a thread I've read where everyone agreed with everyone else. Lots of disagreements on this forum, and you're not picked on for disagreeing. And my word, you're not a scapegoat for anything (not even sure where that one came from).

Some of what you feel on being attacked is really just good natured ribbing - you seem to have a pretty thin skin (this is all my opinion). But I think that most of the negativity from others has nothing to do with what you say, and everything to do with how you say it.

In the short time you've been on these forums, you've started threads and then gotten pissy when people didn't abide by your specific rules when replying; you've told someone about twice your age how they should behave/respond/act; while you don't mind disagreeing with others you don't appreciate people disagreeing with you; and you whine (yes, whine) about how mean some of us are and how under appreciated you are. You also seem to think your opinion is just correct and should kinda be equated to fact.

Even your example above illustrates this: you're not saving someone else the legwork of looking something up or explaining something to someone by saying durability matters in a rain shell. There's no fact in that at all - durability will matter to some and it won't matter to others. It's opinion. And there will be varied opinion on that, just like everything else here.

You just don't seem to realize that (again, in my opinion), too many of your posts simply come off as patronizing, arrogant and pompous. Of course people are going to poke fun and react negatively to that. Many of the folks on this forum have lived significantly more life than you, not to mention have significantly more backpacking experience than you. So when all of your 23 years comes bouncing Tigger-like onto the forums to show us the truth, the way and the light, well, many of us just roll our eyes, and some of us negative nancies just smile and poke poor little Tigger.

If you fail to see or can't admit that you contribute to this problem/issue, then I guess there's not much more I could say. But I'd recommend truly thinking about how you might be coming across to others instead of simply blaming the way people respond to you solely on them.

Lastly, I think 'smug' would have been a much better word choice than 'glee,' but that's just me.

jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

Locale: Northern California
Canister failure: has this happened to you?" on 04/06/2013 18:32:31 MDT Print View

Aw geeze come on give Max a break. Like all of us, Max has a style. It doesn't bother me; it's just what it is. In person Max, like all of us, probably comes off completely different than he does on the internet. And anyway, I'm fine with Max's internet persona.

Everyone's piling on like BPL was a creative writing seminar and people were critiquing Max's poetry. And there's more than a whiff of condescension by the "elders" here.

Let Max be!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: That's probably it. on 04/06/2013 18:35:39 MDT Print View

Nicely done Doug. +1

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Canister failure: has this happened to you?" on 04/06/2013 18:44:25 MDT Print View

"In person Max, like all of us, probably comes off completely different than he does on the internet."

Sorry Jeffrey, you're wrong. I'm just as much an ass in person as I am on the internet. Ask anyone.

Edited by idester on 04/06/2013 19:57:48 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Canister failure: has this happened to you?" on 04/06/2013 18:47:45 MDT Print View

True. We've met. I'm just the same everywhere too.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Canister failure: has this happened to you? on 04/06/2013 18:58:24 MDT Print View

"Sorry Jeffrey, you're wrong. I'm just as much as ass in person as I am on the internet. Ask anyone."

The first time I met Doug at a Trinity Alps GGG trip, I walked up to his tarp and he yelled at me to, "Get off my lawn, punk."

jeffrey armbruster
(book) - M

Locale: Northern California
Canister failure: has this happened to you?" on 04/06/2013 19:04:16 MDT Print View

Hmmm, a patter begins to emerge...I mean, pattern.

Jan S
(karl-ton)
Re: Canister failure: has this happened to you? on 04/06/2013 19:04:47 MDT Print View

"Get off my lawn, punk."

Did he have gnomes around him? They are the universal signal of a mean and evil person.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: It's the internet. on 04/06/2013 19:46:55 MDT Print View

Max once again you tout your "experience" in backpacking as a lot more than it is. What have you actually done? taking college kids car camping is not backpacking experience. Reading it in a book is not experience. Many of these people have done full thru hikes, multiple thru hikes, decades of backpacking. Open your ears and shut your mouth and you'll learn more.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Ha! on 04/06/2013 20:18:12 MDT Print View

I'll take Max as an "East Coast, highly opinionated, dangerously vocal, and woefully headstrong" person and not "smitten with himself"

And my BPL membership is worth it just for seeing how things always blow up around Max : )