Forum Index » GEAR » Canister failure: has this happened to you?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Daniel Fish
(daniel@fishfamilypdx.com)

Locale: PDX
... on 04/05/2013 15:38:07 MDT Print View

Edited by daniel@fishfamilypdx.com on 06/11/2013 12:38:53 MDT.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Canister failure: has this happened to you? on 04/05/2013 15:42:00 MDT Print View

That happened to me once

I just left stove on canister until I used it up

I think it's just a bad canister, not something you did

I'm guessing I've used 30 canisters so 1 in 30 had this failure

Rex Sanders
(Rex) - M

Locale: Central California Coast
Re: Canister failure: has this happened to you? on 04/05/2013 15:55:28 MDT Print View

A few days into a week long trip, I had a canister develop a slow leak when the little valve didn't close completely.

By the time I discovered the problem ("what's that funny smell coming from my pack?"), I'd lost most of my fuel.

Cut the trip short, since my dinners required cooking, and wood fires were prohibited.

This was with a recently-purchased, well-known brand name of canister (which I don't recall now), and a nearly-new Snow Peak stove. And no, I'm not particularly rough on gear. I'd been using canister stoves of one kind or another for about 20 years at that point.

I switched to Esbit.

-- Rex

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Re: Canister failure: has this happened to you? on 04/05/2013 16:01:26 MDT Print View

It's only happened to me once in all the times I've used canister stoves, but it sure got my attention in a big way.

You can leave your stove on and just use the stove's valve to control the gas -- or you can just try again. I found that simply putting the stove on again and taking it off was enough to get the valve to seat.

All of this brings home a very important practice: Never put on or take off a canister near an open flame or anything hot enough to ignite the gas.

I wrote a post related to this subject: Canister Gas Stove Reliability & Maintenance.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

Edited by hikin_jim on 04/05/2013 16:07:56 MDT.

Daniel Fish
(daniel@fishfamilypdx.com)

Locale: PDX
... on 04/05/2013 16:57:08 MDT Print View

Edited by daniel@fishfamilypdx.com on 06/11/2013 12:38:21 MDT.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Canister failure: has this happened to you? on 04/05/2013 16:58:17 MDT Print View

Good points Jim.

Raymond Estrella
(rayestrella) - MLife

Locale: Northern Minnesota
has this happened to you? on 04/05/2013 17:44:58 MDT Print View

I have had one Lindahl valve canister stick open on me (out of maybe a hundred or so) and one PowerMax. That was the big surprise as it was winter and I needed all my fuel. I stuck the end back on and kept it there until the next morning. I knew I had enough fuel once I got past breakfast (as I was with my wife I needed plenty of fuel in the morning;-) because I had another canister for the next day's cooking and snow melting chores. If solo it may have been more worrisome.

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Canister failure: has this happened to you? on 04/05/2013 17:49:21 MDT Print View

Yeah, that has happened. I used about 15 canisters before on them. One was a fast leak, such as you describe. The Lindal valves are not an expensive item and can do that on occasion. As Jim was saying, this is usually recoverable by simply replacing and removing the stove. It did not happen again.

The other was a slow leak as Rex described...but I didn't notice the leak till evening, soo, I cannot say if this could have been reset.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Canister failure: has this happened to you? on 04/05/2013 18:08:32 MDT Print View

I was on a Bpl meet last and the Msr canister one of the guys had failed.
Ever since then I test each can when it comes in to house and before I go on a trip.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Re: Canister failure: has this happened to you? on 04/05/2013 19:39:41 MDT Print View

I leave me stove attached to the canister throughout any trip. Gives me two chances of preventing a leak. If the stove "off" valve doesn't work I can remove the canister and then, hopefully, the canister's off mechanism will work. Both would have to fail for me to lose all the gas in the canister.

All of this depends on my ears (weak) or nose (strong) detecting the leak in the first place.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Re: Canister failure: has this happened to you? on 04/05/2013 20:06:26 MDT Print View

I had a canister valve stick open and slowly leak on a very cold evening. My only recourse was to screw it back onto the stove, which worked. Once I got the canister warm, the canister's valve worked again.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Canister failure: has this happened to you? on 04/05/2013 20:22:27 MDT Print View

A different failure I had was, my exponent F1 ultralight started slow leak when it got real cold.

I used the stove for evening meal. Made sure it was screwed onto canister very tight and the needle valve tightly closed. Then, over night when it got cold, it started leaking between canister and stove.

First time it did this I figured I just didn't screw it on tight enough, then I made sure it was tightly screwed from then on. Happened two more times.

This failure coupled with leaky Lindal valve = no solution

Nancy Twilley
(goodcaver2)

Locale: STL
canister failure on 04/05/2013 20:36:53 MDT Print View

I had this same thing happen last year in the Rockies with a snowpeak canister-- first the flame started expanding to the area where the stove screws into the canister. We got the stove shut off and canister unscrewed, at which time the gas started leaking out super fast. We tried to screw it back in but to no effect -- left the canister away from camp and let it leak out.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: canister failure on 04/05/2013 20:46:10 MDT Print View

What stove?

That's the other thing that happened with my Exponent F1 Ultralight - leaked between stove and canister and flamed up a bit. Melted some cosmetic pieces a little. I just quickly blew it out, then screwed it on tighter.

Nancy Twilley
(goodcaver2)

Locale: STL
what stove on 04/05/2013 20:59:02 MDT Print View

I think it was a snowpeak giga stove -- not my stove -- I actually have the F1 and haven't had this problem (yet) with it.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Why I don't use canister stoves: on 04/06/2013 07:24:51 MDT Print View

IIRC, I was on the AT last summer and I heard a story about a disabled guy who runs a hiker hostel. He and his friends/family contribute a lot to maintaining that section of the AT.

Story I heard was, his leaking canister stove hit a spark and blew up, and his leg or legs were amputated and he's in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

So, I don't use canister stoves.

Edited by mdilthey on 04/06/2013 07:25:21 MDT.

Paul Mason
(dextersp1) - F
Bring 2 on 04/06/2013 07:52:53 MDT Print View

If you estimate you might need over 110g - bring 2 110g cans.

I also put a little grease on the threads and o ring of the stove (keep it clean, of course). I forgot what type of grease.

A couple of things I try to keep in mind is to not tighten too much and gently screw and unscrew the stove holding it close to bottom of the stove. I think that helps the threads integrity.

I think I do sit too close to the stove while boiling water. That is something this thread has reminded me not to do.

Edited by dextersp1 on 04/06/2013 07:59:41 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Why I use canister stoves: on 04/06/2013 08:24:03 MDT Print View

I just want to eat sometimes. You can't beat the ease of use. I've only had trouble with the valves on those big Coleman car camping canisters leaking. With the old pierce the canister style stoves I did have one leak in my pack. Standing on the trail wondering what the funny smell was...

IF I took Max's appraoch to life I would never do anything, go anywhere, have any fun. Geez. And you should not spread stories based on here say. This is how urban legends start.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
Re: Re: Why I use canister stoves: on 04/06/2013 08:44:36 MDT Print View

IF I took Max's appraoch to life I would never do anything, go anywhere, have any fun. Geez. And you should not spread stories based on here say. This is how urban legends start.

there were all these people who walked their dogs ... but unfortunately some of them got hit by crazy drivers, others got shot, some got robbed, and others got attacked by bigger more vicious dogs

happens every day

i should stop wokking the dogs ;)

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Sheltered? on 04/06/2013 08:47:16 MDT Print View

My forum profile pic is me lifting a bike over my head at the top of a mountain after over 800 miles of a 1,500 mile unsupported trip... I don't think I'm really starving myself. ;)

I just use a wood stove, the Vargo Titanium Hex. Rather not blow up while hiking.

Edited by mdilthey on 04/06/2013 08:47:55 MDT.