Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Fish Oil Capsules

Display Avatars Sort By:
Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Fish Oil Capsules on 04/05/2013 12:13:09 MDT Print View

I take a fish oil capsule each day for health. Looks like a good source of calories per ounce.

Twenty of them on my scale weigh .8 ounces and, according to the label, contain 200 calories.

Easy to eat. Just swallow them. No taste.

Anyone using these while backpacking?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Fish Oil Capsules on 04/05/2013 12:33:54 MDT Print View

You might want to consider why you take those for health purposes. I think they are fine for long-term use, but they don't do much for you in the short term. All I see from use is a long-term increase in good cholesterol (HDL).

--B.G.--

Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Locale: Colorado
Re: Fish Oil Capsules on 04/05/2013 12:48:55 MDT Print View

I think at some point you need to think about more than just counting calories. You need a broad spectrum of nutrients to fuel your body properly and that is best accomplished by consuming a variety of food.

For me personally that means bringing a shaker and some powdered greens like Green Vibrance http://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-Health-Green-Vibrance-Family/dp/B000NDME6C
and bringing some powdered Whey protein to aid in muscle recovery. Both light weight and nutrient dense (not necessarily calorie dense).

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
fish oil on 04/29/2013 23:29:08 MDT Print View

I take fish oil pretty much every day.

i think that would be pretty expensive to use 20-30 a day..

You also burp up nasty fish taste.. especially if you are taking a bunch

There is also speculation that the cap's contain mercury fwiw. and if thats true taking 20-30/day can't be good for ya

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: fish oil on 04/30/2013 13:20:59 MDT Print View

"i think that would be pretty expensive to use 20-30 a day.. "

Bring some Imodium along if you try that.

But seriously, ideas like this are why we UL backpackers get ridiculed on the outside. LOL

If you *really* care about you cal/weight ratio, maybe try some of the gels folks take on multi-day big wall climbs - at least you would be getting balanced nutrition.

Personally I don't mind my (one cap) burps. Ummmm! Salmon-y!

Edited by millonas on 04/30/2013 13:31:00 MDT.

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

fish on 05/01/2013 01:19:16 MDT Print View

"Personally I don't mind my (one cap) burps. Ummmm! Salmon-y!"

Yea i guess if you took two, ten times a day it wouldn't be too bad..

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Re: fish on 05/01/2013 04:50:02 MDT Print View

Good thought. But as has been said, expensive. Olive oil, parified butter are about the same callories (~250 per ounce) and easy to add to foods. Parified butter squirted into cocoa, oatmeal, on baked foods, etc. works well. Olive oil in soups, stews, fresh baked bannocks, etc. goes as well without the "burps."

3 or 4 per day will help with cholesterol, if that is a problem.

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

f on 05/01/2013 14:12:53 MDT Print View

"Good thought. But as has been said, expensive. Olive oil, parified butter are about the same callories (~250 per ounce) and easy to add to foods. Parified butter squirted into cocoa, oatmeal, on baked foods, etc. works well. Olive oil in soups, stews, fresh baked bannocks, etc. goes as well without the "burps.""

I think daryl was goin for more of the instant energy pops that you throw in your hipbelt for the day and eat as you hike

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Fish Oil Capsules on 05/03/2013 15:02:47 MDT Print View

If you want the concentrated calories of healthy fat and the convenience of a small package, seems something like this would be more useful than the tiny fish oil capsules:

Olive Oil Packet

Spread on crackers or add to soup, pasta, instant mashed potatoes, ...

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Geezers NEED fish oil on 05/03/2013 23:10:31 MDT Print View

I take Omega Red fish oil and it is (supposedly) good for your joints. Now that I'm 70 with no knee problems I'd like to stay that way.