Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Is there something you eat in the backcountry that you don't eat otherwise?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Fitz Travels
(fitztravels)
Chocalate on 08/06/2013 20:01:44 MDT Print View

In the winter and on super cold nights that either push or destroy my sleeping system, i buy Hersheys bars and eat one whenever i wake up cold, usually around 4 am. I thinks it helps out a lot. Other then those times, i rarely eat chocalate.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: Spam on 08/06/2013 21:32:16 MDT Print View

Spam is disgusting gelatinous slime poor substitute for meat. but on the trail, I LOOOOVE me the spam singles. I don't bother with the Spam-Lite. I want the full mucus snot flavor. I do sprinkle salt and pepper.

Also I love beef jerky, and the Omaha Steak beef sticks but I don't eat it at home because it's dense in calories and costs a premium.

I also take Nutella singles, bagels and those fruit jam single servings from restaurant diners.

OmahaSteaksBeefsticks.jpg

Edited by RogerDodger on 08/06/2013 21:32:47 MDT.

Kevin Burton
(burtonator) - F

Locale: norcal
Everything. on 08/07/2013 10:53:48 MDT Print View

Pretty much EVERYTHING I can't eat when I'm back in the world.

I eat paleo so all this food makes me sick and fat over time.

but when I"m in the woods it really isn't a problem and I've gotten pretty good at cutting back to regular foods after a trip.

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
"Is there something you eat in the backcountry that you don't eat otherwise?" on 08/07/2013 11:05:17 MDT Print View

Pretty much everything I pack to go camping is something I don't eat normally:
-freeze dried meals
-Instant mash potato singles
-Instant hot chocolate
-Starbucks Via
-Slim Jims

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Re: Everything. on 08/07/2013 18:14:24 MDT Print View

I eat paleo, too, but I bring my paleo food backpacking because it's so damn good.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Roasted marmot... on 08/08/2013 10:40:04 MDT Print View

... and Payday Bars. I never have a craving for them when I'm home but I'll destroy a Payday bar in the back 40.

spelt with a t
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Re: "Is there something you eat in the backcountry that you don't eat otherwise?" on 08/08/2013 11:17:13 MDT Print View

I do almost entirely fresh cooking at home, so anything pre-packaged dried or instant is different for me. Most candy and junk food I do not like, and so those don't come on the trail either. The stuff I do like I also eat at home; no weird on-trail cravings. I watched Skurka's videos about his Alaska Yukon trip and saw all the neat, precisely measured bags of junk food and...while I'd eat that stuff if I were hungry enough, the thought of deliberately planning an expedition menu around pringles and m&ms makes me vaguely ill.

Edited by spelt on 08/08/2013 11:20:28 MDT.

Lee Oz
(LeeOz) - F

Locale: NY
An all-time American favorite on 08/08/2013 11:55:40 MDT Print View

Peanut butter & jelly sandwiches.. I'm not a big fan usually but on a backpacking trip I'll eat whatever I feel is needed.

Also beef jerky, candy/energy bars and hot chocolate packets filled with chemicals and high fructose corn syrup; items I tend to avoid nowadays. It feels good to indulge in 'nasties' couple of times a year.

Dave Heiss
(DaveHeiss) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Sardines on 08/08/2013 13:48:24 MDT Print View

Never touch 'em at home, but in the woods, with crackers... oh yeah.