Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Is there something you eat in the backcountry that you don't eat otherwise?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Locale: Rockies
Is there something you eat in the backcountry that you don't eat otherwise? on 04/04/2013 20:49:02 MDT Print View

Is there something you eat in the backcountry that you don't eat otherwise?

For me it's chocolate and potato chips. I was on a weekend trip with a friend once and he pulled out a can of Pringles. I normally don't eat potato chips but they tasted awfully good on that trip and I've taken them many times on short trips. I also don't eat chocolate unless I'm backpacking. I take a Hershey's bar or a couple of Reese's Peanut Butter cups for each night of every trip. And I add M&Ms to trail mix even if it has them already.

And I'm not talking about things that I avoid for the health factor. I just don't have any desire to eat them unless I'm backpacking. Anybody else do this?

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Re: Is there something you eat in the backcountry that you don't eat otherwise? on 04/04/2013 21:06:01 MDT Print View

Ramen (as a pre-dinner soup - the "good stuff"), hot chocolate, bagels, candy bars, jerky, and various trail mixes/GORP-type stuff. Plus the occasional Mountain House.

Matthew Black
(mtblack) - F
Re: Is there something you eat in the backcountry that you don't eat otherwise? on 04/04/2013 21:34:53 MDT Print View

Pop tarts with Nutella.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Is there something you eat in the backcountry that you don't eat otherwise? on 04/04/2013 21:42:49 MDT Print View

Salami
Coffeemate
Raman noodles, toss the packs. The noodles are handy.
Hard liqour
Dirt,bugs and wood ash also.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
What I've eaten in the woods on 04/04/2013 21:47:33 MDT Print View

Spam
Granola bars dipped in Nutela
GORP
Nutela straight from the jar

Edit - Oh and 3500+ calories a day of anything

Edited by Cameron on 04/04/2013 21:56:01 MDT.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: What I've eaten in the woods on 04/04/2013 22:04:40 MDT Print View

Pasta sides, instant potatoes, nutella from the jar (well.. sometimes at home haha), Nutty bars, Nido (on cereal for breakfast)

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re: What I've eaten in the woods on 04/05/2013 05:51:12 MDT Print View

For me its summer sausage, porridge and dehydated meals.

I also only drink hot chocolate, packet soup and whiskey on trips.

Todd Taylor
(texasbb) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Is there something you eat in the backcountry that you don't eat otherwise? on 04/05/2013 08:41:27 MDT Print View

Chicken--a vile, filthy bird that makes for tooth-sticking meat gnawed off greasy bones. I can't stand it. But among the dehydrated options, chicken-based sludge is often better than the other sludge.

Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
Re: Is there something you eat in the backcountry that you don't eat otherwise? on 04/05/2013 08:48:13 MDT Print View

Just about everything.

I stick to a whole foods/paleo diet at home. Backpacking falls under the category of "road rules". Love a big bowl of pasta in the evenings, and a giant diner breakfast or dinner (or both) on the way home.

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Locale: Grand Canyon State
Re: Is there something you eat in the backcountry that you don't eat otherwise? on 08/05/2013 15:07:58 MDT Print View

"Combos" -- pretzel outside, faux-cheese inside. Such a revolting product, even Walmart doesn't stock them, so you have to get 'em at a gas station! At home, these would sound like a punishment; at the bottom of Grand Canyon, in the near-100F heat, these taste great!

Edited by Wildtowner on 08/05/2013 15:08:57 MDT.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Is there something you eat in the backcountry that you don't eat otherwise? on 08/05/2013 15:17:50 MDT Print View

I eat butter. I mean I just take a stick of butter and chow down. The taste is pretty neutral for me and it gives me fuel for cold nights.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: Is there something you eat in the backcountry that you don't eat otherwise? on 08/05/2013 15:19:03 MDT Print View

Almost everything I eat while backpacking is food I hardly ever eat at home: cured meat, cheese in general, lots of sweets, bad coffee, Mac and cheese etc.

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Re: Is there something you eat in the backcountry that you don't eat otherwise? on 08/05/2013 15:25:03 MDT Print View

Fresh non-stocked trout!

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Is there something you eat in the backcountry that you don't eat otherwise? on 08/05/2013 15:59:19 MDT Print View

Nah, I eat the same at home. I even eat Mountain House at home when my wife is gone because that is all I know how to cook -- and the good folks at McDonald's know me by name and my wife can check with them to make sure I didn't eat there 3 times a day, so I have to mix it up between MH, McDonald's and Del Taco.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Re: Is there something you eat in the backcountry that you don't eat otherwise? on 08/05/2013 16:20:19 MDT Print View

""Combos" -- pretzel outside, faux-cheese inside. Such a revolting product, even Walmart doesn't stock them, so you have to get 'em at a gas station! "

get the PB filled pretzels that Walmart and Job-lot DO carry :) so much better than Combos. I eat those on and off the trail. 130cal/oz and hold up well in the pack.

Mark Cashmere
(tinkrtoy) - M

Locale: NEOH
Re: Is there something you eat in the backcountry that you don't eat otherwise? on 08/05/2013 17:16:02 MDT Print View

I would say that the differences in what I eat on trail or at home (not counting specific trail meals) has to do with caloric intake and burn, thus I am more likely to justify high calorie sweets on trail while I have a hard time justifying them while sitting on my butt all day at work.

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Re: Is there something you eat in the backcountry that you don't eat otherwise? on 08/05/2013 17:56:27 MDT Print View

Fresh porcini mushrooms, if I'm lucky.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Pop Tarts on 08/05/2013 18:15:15 MDT Print View

I love pop tarts but they are always getting crushed. I need to find some kind of pop tart protector container.

Edited by justin_baker on 08/05/2013 18:18:00 MDT.

likes hikes
(BasqueJ88) - M
Top Ramen/ Cup of Noodles on 08/06/2013 02:55:24 MDT Print View

I find it revolting under normal circumstances, but on the trail mixed with other things, it's tolerable. Plus, all that sodium. Mmmmmm.

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Spam on 08/06/2013 06:13:50 MDT Print View

And maltodextrin.