Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Pasta for FBC

Display Avatars Sort By:
Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: Pasta for FBC on 04/08/2013 12:58:24 MDT Print View

Can you think of a better category for couscous?

--B.G.--

Jan S
(karl-ton)
Re: Re: Re: Re: Pasta for FBC on 04/08/2013 13:16:12 MDT Print View

"Can you think of a better category for couscous?"

It's own I would guess. Maybe together with Bulgur. Food made from wheat and similar to couscous went out of fashion after northern Europe discovered the potato however, so I suppose there once was more in that category.

But looking a bit further into it Wikipedia also tells me pasta and couscous are similar. Oh well, carry on then ;)

Oh, and that really was just curiosity, because they certainly are not in the same category here.

Edited by karl-ton on 04/08/2013 13:17:13 MDT.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Re: Pasta for FBC on 04/08/2013 13:27:52 MDT Print View

"So Americans actually think that Couscous is some form of pasta?"

Jan,

Your tone hurt my feelings. If you could overnight me a jaegerschnitzel and a quality hefeweizen I think I could find a way to move past this :)

All joking aside I don't know how to categorize it but most people seem to call it a pasta and I've never spent any time trying to research it.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
FWIW on 04/08/2013 13:31:24 MDT Print View

I'm transitioning away from Mountain House but of the meals I package on my own, almost all of them include either couscous, ramen noodles, instant potatoes, or stuffing. I'm not claiming to be a trail chef by any stretch of the imagination.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: FWIW on 04/08/2013 14:37:12 MDT Print View

While couscous might not be seen as pasta, it is. It is made from the same ingredients as pasta. Now then...in other cultures couscous is prepared differently and it can be a long process. Suffice to say, in the US, couscous is an instant product.

PS: On the quinoa flakes....it is like 1 minute oats. You don't have to cook them for a minute - they will do just fine sitting insulated for 5 minutes. Same with the quinoa flakes.

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
Re: Re: Re: Re: Pasta for FBC on 04/16/2013 05:27:33 MDT Print View

San Georgio makes 3 minute pastas. The spirals are in a boil-in-bag and it works just fine. You could leave the bag at home and add or subtract as much as you want. The other pastas aren't in bags.

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
pasta on 04/30/2013 00:01:50 MDT Print View

I like to use bowtie pasta with sauce and then throw it in the food processor and chop it up to small chunks and then dehydrate. Then add some dehy ground beef or TVP and some parmesan cheese. pretty easy and turns out great.

I've also dehydrated quinoa and farro. Both dehy quick and rehydrate great!

David Poston
(dgposton) - F - M

Locale: Texas / Colorado
Re: Re: Pasta for FBC on 05/07/2013 10:41:05 MDT Print View

Sarah,

Do you partially cook your pasta or fully cook it prior to dehydration?