Forum Index » GEAR » Swappin' Out My Shorts

Display Avatars Sort By:
spelt !
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Re: Swappin' Out My Shorts on 04/05/2013 08:25:57 MDT Print View

Spandex compression shorts of your choice. No chafe, no how, no way. Easy to rinse and don't smell terribly bad. Though if anyone has a line on merino compression shorts drop it here. I tried SW microweight boxer briefs a size too small and they still rode up and were useless.

A W
(lost_01)
Re: Happy parts on 04/05/2013 08:44:31 MDT Print View

"wipes to clean and powder"

...what am I missing here?

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
re: shorts on 04/05/2013 09:22:37 MDT Print View

Mesh liners have never worked for me. Patagonia LW capilene (now Cap 2) boxer briefs have, going on a decade now. The Ex Officos are ok, but IME don't wick or dry as fast (nylon v. poly). Merino is fine but dries slower and doesn't give any substantive benefit (see below).

Krud's post of chafing is an excellent one, especially the part about cleaning yourself daily. If the weather will suck, wet wipes are worth the weight here.

If I'm hiking hard for more than 12 hours at a stretch I usually need some body glide to keep crack chafing at bay. This need goes away further into hiking season as things get leaned out and toughened up. The single use packets create more packaging, but are really convenient.

I like the longer, Patagonia board shorts for hiking due to the extra sun and brush protection. The stretch ones are really nice, while the non-stretch ones are cheaper, a bit more durable and come in garish prints. Stocked up on these when they went on closeout this winter. The real king feature here is the low profile waistband and drawstring closure, which is very secure, comfy, stays put under all conditions, and most importantly doesn't create any pressure points under a waistbelt. Wish they made pants with the same design, though wearing the board shorts over tights is always stylish.

Mike R
(redpoint) - F

Locale: British Columbia
Chafing ... on 04/05/2013 23:16:40 MDT Print View

Chafing has always been an issue for me too. Last year, I discovered trail running shorts. Basically, they're a slightly longer short with a semi-compression type liner [think boxer brief]. Super comfy and zero chafing. Solomon makes some good ones. I'm quite partial to the Arc'teryx Incendo - amazing short. It's lightweight and fine if you don't require large amounts abrasion resistance from rock or bush-whacking.