houdini fit - mens vs. womens
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jeffrey McConnell
(Catalyst) - F
houdini fit - mens vs. womens on 04/03/2013 18:32:47 MDT Print View

Does anybody know if the patagonia houdini women's version has a different cut than the mens? I really want it in blue, but can't find it in my size at the price I want. I was thinking of trying a womens large (rather than a mens medium), which I can find but I was concerned it might be more fitted or slimmer than the mens version.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
re: mens v. womens on 04/03/2013 19:06:02 MDT Print View

I'd imagine it is more fitted, with a different contour in the torso. I've bought and modified numerous pieces of Pata womens clothing for my own use (bring on the jokes Ide), and you need an XL to get a sleeve length equivalent to mens medium.

Nicholas Truax
(nicktruax) - F

Locale: Montanada
re:re: houdini fit mens v womens on 04/03/2013 19:18:23 MDT Print View

Dave has it pretty much spot on. The women's has a more contoured fit while the men's has a boxier cut. They are also not directly scaled in terms to size. You may be able to make women's work but it will most likely be oddly proportioned.

Nancy Twilley
(goodcaver2)

Locale: STL
fit on 04/03/2013 19:48:24 MDT Print View

Yep, it's more contoured for sure, and not as wide in the shoulders. If you're trim, you'll be able to fit into a large but it will flare out at the hips. Lengths are similar, I'd say.

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: London, UK
Re: re:re: houdini fit mens v womens on 04/03/2013 19:53:33 MDT Print View

Chest pocket is in a completely different location too, at least on my wife's Spring 2012 model.

Jeffrey McConnell
(Catalyst) - F
not going to work on 04/03/2013 20:23:34 MDT Print View

Just the info I needed - thanks. Doesn't sound like I'll be able to fit in it well. I may have to just settle for black.

Edited by Catalyst on 04/03/2013 21:32:59 MDT.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Houdini on 04/03/2013 20:29:52 MDT Print View

Jeff:

I've had my Houdini for a few years now, and it's still in excellent shape. This is one of my favorite pieces of gear. If color is important to you, I would say spend the money -- knowing it will serve you well for years (barring user mishaps, of course).

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Sometimes Women's Works on 04/03/2013 22:23:39 MDT Print View

I wear Women's Large rain pants and they actually fit better- all the biking I do has given me some big thighs...