Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Drones and phones

Display Avatars Sort By:
Tipi Walter
(TipiWalter) - F
Jetsons on 04/08/2013 07:21:32 MDT Print View

I foresee a time when all cars will be flying and no spot on earth will be free from visiting bonobo humans in their jetson hovercraft. They'll follow the Appalachian Trail and zoom right over your camp and hover to land. They'll take tourist pics as you stumble out of your tent in the morning to take a leak.

Jim Colten
(jcolten)

Locale: MN
Re: Drone hunting on 04/08/2013 10:53:31 MDT Print View

> (Lessee, a .338 Lapua mag bolt rifle, Burris Eliminator III rangefinding scope... hmmm.)

How about a Barret?

Cheers

Roger! Are you trolling to start up another flaming BPL firearms thread? We ARE a bit overdue for the next one ... he-he

But seriously ... the fixed wing drones that will be marketed to law enforcement are about the size of a medium-large hawk and will only get smaller. I expect that I won't have to take my shoes off to count the number of BPLers who could hit them with a rifle. A handgun? HA!

Tri and quad copters will be easier targets while hovering except that the actual actual cross section of their airframes is tiny. You'd hit them if you can toss a washer in the air and put a bullet thru the hole.

Shotguns would be more effective. Or maybe some new kind of electronic weapon ... is it possible to jam a GPS?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Drone hunting on 04/08/2013 12:44:42 MDT Print View

"is it possible to jam a GPS?"

Absolutely. I've dealt with that situation many times.

--B.G.--

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
Re: Re: Re: Drone hunting on 04/08/2013 13:18:22 MDT Print View

LASERS. Lasers, baby. I shall cook your drone from afar and the only noise will be a sizzle and crash. Okay, maybe a few rebel yells, too.

Now, my Igloo MaxCold® Ultra 165-bearing quadcopter with an 11hp two-stroke motor from Harbor Freight, Bose 5.1 audio system and an AR-15 suspended from beneath will be coated with reflectix to protect it from those who may try such an idea against MY drone. The armor only has to hold up long enough for me to acquire target...

Nothing says "Freedom" like the sound of a two-stroke revving on the PCT.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
re re re Drone Hunting on 04/08/2013 13:31:29 MDT Print View

"is it possible to jam a GPS?"

The best way to jam a GPS is to turn it on and try to find your way around with it:)

If drones could be shot down I think the Taliban would do it more often.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Drone hunting on 04/08/2013 20:10:17 MDT Print View

> Roger! Are you trolling
Actually, I was referribng to the 0.5" version and was trying to be a shade sarcastic or cynical!
I mean, some of the drones are probably lighter than a 0.5" bullet!
A rash moment ... sigh.

Cheers

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
12 ga - 3" Uranium Drone Load on 04/09/2013 16:16:07 MDT Print View

"Years of research and development have gone into these highly effective 12 gauge shells that can turn even Joe Biden’s double barrel shotgun into an instant anti-aircraft platform."

http://www.luckygunner.com/12ga-3-uranium-drone-load-tacnition-5-roundsdrone loads, april fools

Edited by oware on 04/09/2013 16:18:14 MDT.

Jim Colten
(jcolten)

Locale: MN
Re: Drone hunting on 04/09/2013 18:24:21 MDT Print View

Speaking of "some new kind of electronic weapon"

I think I was one day too early: http://news.sky.com/story/1075647/laser-cannon-deployed-by-us-navy-for-tests

Heavier than a 12 gauge or, I imagine, a barret ... but oh so sci-fi! WHAT? you say it ain't fiction?

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Lasers & drones on 04/10/2013 14:08:48 MDT Print View

Well, multiple lasers aimed at a drone's camera may have an effect - or not. Authorities can get around it with a laser protective lens and then it's on to the next countermeasure in sky spies v.s. citizens saga.

As for a Barrett 82-A1 semi-auto .50 caliber rifle, the recoil is horrendous and the rifle is a bear to carry. Plus it's overkill for something as small as a law enforcement drone. A .339 Lapua or Norma mag. round will reach out just as far with plenty of "terminal ballistics".

But hitting a moving target may require multiple shots. Nice thing is that the drone operator doesn't know you're shooting at their baby if you are well camoflaged - at least until they see the ground approaching rapidly and the drone failing to respond to controls. Aaawww!

I can see drone operators checking out nude backyard sunbathing but they may learn it is a planned "distraction" to other (illegal) activity in the area.

As for the ORIGINAL post, do we really want no excuse to get away from cell phones?? Really?

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Lasers & drones on 04/10/2013 15:19:31 MDT Print View

"As for the ORIGINAL post, do we really want no excuse to get away from cell phones?? Really?"

Hell yeah we do. It sure seems to be what this society craves; the great 24/7 connectedness to the cloud. Imagine how many more people will be getting out for the weekend if they can check emails, send texts, and actually upload documents from the backcountry.

Isn't this what the recent satellite phone article was about? Granted, it's all in the context of emergencies for now, but wait until plans are cheaper and people start realizing they can hike the JMT and still say goodnight to their kids everyday.
SPOT tracking seems to be just one step away from real time backcountry status updates on your Facebook page.

dave e
(hipass) - F

Locale: Los Angeles
to craig's post:Luddites rule! on 04/10/2013 15:39:51 MDT Print View

got rid of my smartphone and the 2 yr data contract-yay.Still running an old xp pc and dont have an fb acct...hahaha!Have considered getting a replacement for my pc but there are so many options with ipads,phones etc that it confuses me...Luddites rule!Webshots closed down and all my posted pics were zapped-a pain and waste of time so will not be posting them again or using cloud services..."everything you post can and will be used against you in a court of law.if you cannot afford an attorney one can be provided...blah blah blah".Tech creates lots of problems especially privacy.

Edited by hipass on 04/10/2013 15:48:21 MDT.