November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Suggestions on an altimeter or ABC watch.
Display Avatars Sort By:
Stevie Patrick

Locale: Adirondacks
Suggestions on an altimeter or ABC watch. on 04/03/2013 12:04:36 MDT Print View

Have been thinking about investing in a good trail watch. I haven't hiked with one in the past, but often thought I'd enjoy having an altimeter to track elevation gain/loss, and to keep track where I am on a climb. So I guess I'm debating whether or not I should just get an altimeter to clip on to my pack, or go ahead and get a multifunction watch. Does anyone have any preferences or suggestions?

Brandon Vidrine
ABC Watch on 04/03/2013 12:14:01 MDT Print View

I use the high gear axiomax and have been very satisfied; I also have a Suunto vector which I like, but he axiomax seems better built, more sturdy, and easy to use.

I do not find they are very precise, more for general altitude and basic orientation.

Erik Basil

Locale: Atzlan
Re: ABC Watch on 04/03/2013 13:13:04 MDT Print View

Casio's Pro-Trek watches can be had with the solar feature and, if you're willing to forego the titanium shells, can go for nice, low prices on eBay. I picked up mine for a song that way and got one with many of the "G-Shock" features my habits require...clonk, bonk and slam!

(jake.L) - F

Locale: Katahdin
Casio PAW2000 on 04/03/2013 13:56:42 MDT Print View

After A LOT of looking at all the ABC's out there the Casio PAW2000 was the one for me. The PAW1500 is very good to.