Post hike rituals- gear maintenance
Display Avatars Sort By:
Brandon =Þ
(Beeen) - MLife

Locale: California
Leave it. on 04/03/2013 16:25:14 MDT Print View

I tend to leave it all packed up until the next day, sometimes I pull the sleeping bags immediately, but it wouldn't be out of the question for it to stay in the pack overnight. This procrastination I believe is less about avoiding the chore, and more about not wanting to admit to myself that the trip is over. Even after I break everything down and clean it, all of it sits out for a week or so, because I can't bring myself to stuff it all back into the storage bins it came out of.

Sleeping pads after each trip I give a really good scrubbing in the shower, which I started doing religiously after I lent a pad to a friend and just put it away when he gave it back to me. Only to pull it out to clean to loan it to somebody else, and found a nicotine patch stuck to it, which discolored the material underneath very badly. I guess it was preferable to finding cigarette burn in the pad.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Post hike rituals- gear maintenance on 04/03/2013 17:31:47 MDT Print View

All this talk about once you get home. How about once you are back at the car? Anything special?

I always have a way to drive. I pack a cooler and some clean cotton clothes back at the van. 5 gallons of water to take a quick rinse if wanted. And an ice cold beer or soda while changing, packing up.

Other than that my ritual is almost exactly like Doug's.

.Yikes!

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re: Post hike rituals- gear maintenance on 04/03/2013 17:40:20 MDT Print View

If it a long drive home I will stick my down gear on the back seat to start drying out.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Leave it. on 04/03/2013 18:16:34 MDT Print View

"Only to pull it out to clean to loan it to somebody else, and found a nicotine patch stuck to it, which discolored the material underneath very badly. I guess it was preferable to finding cigarette burn in the pad."

Until you realized he had been using the nicotine patches as suppositories......

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re: Leave it. on 04/03/2013 18:38:58 MDT Print View

I loaned a pair of mitts to be a buddy last weekend and got them back with a pair of hand warmers which where still warm :-)