Forum Index » Chaff » This is our America

Display Avatars Sort By:
Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Re: Re: This is our America on 04/16/2013 11:39:41 MDT Print View

"Do we really? I'd submit that many folks think human rights the world over is a nice idea, but they really do want cheap goods here at home and big profits on Wall Street, and are more than willing to turn a blind eye to the human rights part to get 'em. But hey, I'm a cynic. I'm glad there are lots of idealistic souls around too, to temper my cynicism."

Exactly.

"And I think Americans really show their ignorance when they say they want their politicians to be honest. What are these f@ckin' cretins talking about? If honestly were suddenly introduced into American life, the whole system would collapse!"
-George Carlin

And this is exactly how we can sit at home poo-pooing having the largest military on the planet while simultaneously stuffing our faces with cake and our cars with oil...and the Commander in Chief of the largest military in human history wins a Nobel Peace Prize.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Cost vs capabilities on 04/16/2013 16:24:17 MDT Print View

After considering yesterday's events, it doesn't appear that the human race is going to evolve away frone senseless violence any time in the near future.

Not arguing with any of the points any of you are making here but if one were to believe wikipedia:

China's total military force 4,585,000 (3.4 per 1000)
Russia's total military force 21,523,000 (150.2 per 1000)
North Korea's total military force 9,495,000 (386.7 per 1000)

Total 35,603,000

vs

U.S. total military force 2,291,910 (7.3 per 1000)
Canada's total military force 127,954 (3.8 per 1000)
United Kingdom's total military force 410,180 (6.7 per 1000)
Australia's total military force 80,873 (3.8 per 1000)

Total 2,910,917 (8% the size of theirs)

I'd say cutting edge technology on the battlefield is not something we can afford to lose.

Oh... I almost forgot.... we're friends with China and Russia now... my bad!

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
This is our America on 04/16/2013 17:45:24 MDT Print View

yes and Saddam Hussein had over 1 million soldiers before the Gulf War...

Did you see the military parade in Pyongyang with those very impressive missiles ?
Well don't expect them to fly....
The Soviets also built very impressive non flying missiles. They looked good during the May Parades.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: This is our America on 04/16/2013 18:44:21 MDT Print View

"yes and Saddam Hussein had over 1 million soldiers before the Gulf War..."

I guess it's a good thing we spent our money on better equipment and better trained soldiers.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Cost vs capabilities on 04/16/2013 19:34:40 MDT Print View

"I'd say cutting edge technology on the battlefield is not something we can afford to lose."

It's a fair point. To a point..... :-)

As we know, vast numbers of people alone won't guarantee success. But as we also know from some recent, painful experiences, vast technological superiority doesn't guarantee success either. I would simply suggest that we try to pay as much attention to/make as much investment in reducing worldwide tensions as we do preparing do to battle when those tensions explode. I don't think we've been doing that. If we would, we might find that necessary investment in both would decrease, and I'm sure we could find worthwhile uses for the saved dollars!

"Oh... I almost forgot.... we're friends with China and Russia now"

Welllllllll, kinda like you're friends with your sister's jackass husband or brother's jackass wife. We're all tolerating each other for the moment, but give anyone an opening...... :=)

Edited by idester on 04/16/2013 19:35:41 MDT.