Adventure Medical Kits
Display Avatars Sort By:
Hamish McHamish
(El_Canyon) - M

Locale: USA
oh yeah... on 04/04/2013 19:53:41 MDT Print View

Oh, almost forgot:

1) Perhaps the best thing about Adventure Medical Kits products are the kit containers and

2) I loved David Thomas' posts in this thread.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: What just happened? on 04/04/2013 19:56:00 MDT Print View

"...as inoffensive as vanilla ice cream"

But butterfat has been considered offensive by the Jenny Craig Alliance for a long time now.

--B.G.--

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: BPL Thread Drift Gold (and kick a$$ dumplings). on 04/04/2013 20:55:58 MDT Print View

This has really turned into a rather queer thread, don't you think?

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Boldly Go on 04/04/2013 21:20:50 MDT Print View

Well, when there's a 6 page thread on replacing an Adventure Medical Kit from less than two months ago, a new thread can only go so far...

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Re: BPL Thread Drift Gold (and kick a$$ dumplings). on 04/04/2013 21:27:41 MDT Print View

As a medical professional, we ABSOLUTELY make assumptions about your health status by your appearance. diagnoses are made by identifying clinical patterns: female, fat and forty? High risk for gallstones. If you are fat I am going to assume you have diabetes even if you say you don't (unless you've had blood work in the past month). If you are a construction worker I will assume you have bad discs in your back. I could go on and on and on and on...

We are discussing medical stuff, David is a medical spouse, I have NO doubt he's lumping the appearance and behavior of an individual into a pattern of a possible clinical presentation. It's what medical professionals do...

He made no judgements about the guy being (possibly) gay...just that his appearance and behavior puts him in a category that really is at a higher risk for developing HIV. Just as a highly tattooed person is at higher risk for having hepatitis C, a fat person has a higher risk of heart disease and diabetes, etc.

Seems like you're being a bit overly sensitive.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
BPL Thread Drift Gold (and kick a$$ dumplings). on 04/04/2013 21:44:59 MDT Print View

Looks like a duck, acts like a duck...

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Re: BPL Thread Drift Gold (and kick a$$ dumplings). on 04/04/2013 21:55:12 MDT Print View

I'm having a hard time figuring out who's facetious and who's serious

I guess it's not important

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Let's just stop right there. on 04/04/2013 22:22:00 MDT Print View

Sorry, that's bull.

First off, being gay does NOT equate sexually transmitted diseases. Maybe if said individual was a prostitute or an adult film star, since those have track records of individuals contracting the disease, but simply deciding on loving the same sex is not enough to say "He has an STD." An individual's right to privacy doesn't equate "He has an STD" either.

We can beat around the bush, but at the end of the day, ASSUMING HE HAS AN STD IS DISCRIMINATION.

I don't caps often, but when I caps, it's important.

Let's check prejudice at the door and let this quiet down as a misunderstanding, or less-than-optimal wording. Everyone makes a mistake once in a while, I throw around a slang word once in a while and it's not the end of the world.

What we should NOT do is start rationalizing it.



Also, David knows more than most about the medical profession but I hardly think that makes gut-reaction-diagnosis his purview. And there's a big difference between obesity-related illness and a gay individual's sexual health; One is based on observable fact and one is based on social contract.

/end rant

Edited by mdilthey on 04/04/2013 22:23:18 MDT.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
More Thoughts... Because I care deeply about this. on 04/04/2013 22:29:22 MDT Print View

And one more thing,

There are five thousand opportunities when being younger than the average BPL user is an opportunity for me to learn from the wise. This conversation feels like an opportunity for the wise to consider learning from me, since my background might be a lot more unbiased than a lot of people's (by nature of decades of accepted discrimination that I blissfully avoided).

2013 is not 1980- being gay is no longer some fringe sexual deviance (if it ever was). Most homosexual individuals in today's world are smart about protection, smart about STD's, and just as capable of taking care of their health as any straight couple.


The idea that STD's and homosexuality are linked is archaic.

Edited by mdilthey on 04/04/2013 22:38:32 MDT.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: More Thoughts... Because I care deeply about this. on 04/04/2013 22:55:57 MDT Print View

According to the CDC stats Male to Male sexual contact accounted for 30,000+ infections during 2011

...about 5 times all the others combined.

Archaic it is not.

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/surveillance/basic.htm#hivest

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
The truth? You can't handle the truth. on 04/04/2013 23:00:43 MDT Print View

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/msm

This has been taken so far out into left field that there's no reason to stop now. Health care professionals and anyone who's in a position to render first aid should always assume that their patient, regardless of an affinity for the Pet Shop Boys or not, have a communicable disease.

The scenario David explained several pages ago (coincidently the last coherent thought on this thread) was about a concerned physician and an uncooperative rafter.... raftee... whatever. Patients are notoriously lousy advocates for their own health care. I can't tell you how many times I would ask my patient very specific questions about their health where they would withhold critical information from me. You apparently don't understand this and that is fine because the bottom line is....

Son, we live in a world with disease, and those diseases have to be treated by healthcare professionals and medicine. Who's going to do it? You five finger vibrams guy!

Crap. Now I need to make a run to Redbox.

Darn Jeff's 11 and darn my slow typing thumbs.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 04/04/2013 23:12:29 MDT.

Daniel Pittman
(pitsy) - M

Locale: Central Texas
*reaches for popcorn* on 04/04/2013 23:19:08 MDT Print View

This is the best show I've seen in weeks! Keep up the good work.

My $0.02, An openly gay friend of mine disclosed his previously secret HIV pos status to me, privately, before a group of us went on a day hike on Mt. Laguna in SoCal. He was worried he might get bit by a snake or attacked by a mountain lion, and I'd be exposed while rendering first-aid. I told him something along the lines of, "We're only five miles from the cars, and the ranger station is right over that hill. There's no first-aid when a mountain lion rips your head off. And besides, I just assume all you faggots have AIDS anyway." We're still friends.

Brandon Guy
(brucky) - F

Locale: Central Cal
Re: The truth? You can't handle the truth. on 04/04/2013 23:43:43 MDT Print View

From that CDC Site

In HIV testing--"19% of MSM tested in 2008 were HIV-positive" MSM = Men who have sex with men
"Of MSM who tested positive for HIV in 2008, 44% did not know they were infected."

Those statistics would lead me to take certain precautions before treating a bleeding gay man.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
Adventure Medical Kits on 04/05/2013 00:02:32 MDT Print View

I'm sorry, but those CDC statistics don't support the reality that HIV infections are a thing of the 90s.

With todays educated society, everyone uses protection so nobody has diseases, so really there isn't even a need for people to worry about the protection anymore.

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Locale: The-Stateless-Society
Re: Let's just stop right there. on 04/05/2013 00:11:40 MDT Print View

Max, I'm not disparaging your sentiment, and I'm not trying to get embroiled in any politics, but lets be clear, making an assumption about, categorizing or mis-categorizing someone doesn't constitute "DISCRIMINATION".


Treating them unfavorably because of that categorization or mis-categorization, *IS* discrimination.


That's a seriously big distinction, and you should be careful to understand the difference before holding everyone to your ideals, no matter what they may be.



If I assume you're stupid, based on your misuse of a word, it's not discrimination, although refusing to provide you with a service that I would offer everyone else, based on that assumption, whether or not it's true, would be, by the definition of the word, although probably not by social "standards", yet.



P.S. I know that last part is pretty provoking, I'm just trying to make a strong point. I apologize for how it sounds, I don't think you're stupid, and I understand where you're coming from, just not the rhetoric. Your post from the previous page speaks in a *lot* of idealistic absolutes, and you'd do well to remember that we all live by our own ethics, regardless of how certain you are of yours.

Edited by jdempsey on 04/05/2013 03:52:41 MDT.

Nick Larsen
(stingray4540) - F

Locale: South Bay
Re: Let's just stop right there. on 04/05/2013 01:04:56 MDT Print View

Funny how everything turns into gay rights and discrimination. I don't think I've seen any gay bashing on this thread, yet people are being accused of it?
When medical professionals assume diabetes is a possibility when treating an overweight person, you don't hear fat people crying "DISCRIMINATION".
Seriously people, get over yourselves. No one is out to get you. Just because a LOT of people don't agree with your lifestyle, I haven't hear of too many instances were gay people aren't served at restaurants, are forced to use seperate bathrooms, or sit at the back of the bus.

Oh well, several other people before me said it better. And David was very articulate in defending himself, but it seems no matter what anyone says, some people can't stop seeing red once anyone brings homosexuality into the conversation.

Lol @ ARD. Say what?!
And, in case he wasn't joking ::facepalm::



P.S. To stay somewhat on topic:

> 12+ ibuprofin
> 12+ pepto bismol pills
> 1or2 bandaids of each size
> Single use double antibiotic packets(2to4)*
> 3or4 butterfly bandages*
> disposable razor w/ handle cut short for use with butterflys
> Moleskin
> tick pliers/tweezers

I'd have to double check my kit, but I think that about covers it. I'm mostly concerned about dealing with sickness(pepto) and small injuries that I don't want to go to the hospital for.
Big injuries that will require a hospital visit aren't as big of a concern. I'm going to have to go anyways, so I'm only concerned about getting out, and most items I might need for that can be fashioned out of my regular gear/clothing or harvested.

*I generally agree with David's first comment in this thread, with the following exceptions:
1) I was told by a doctor that double antibiotics are preferable because a lot of people are mildly allergic to neomycin which leads to redness around the wound that is hard to diagnose if it's just a reaction or infection.
2) From what I was told by the same doctor, stitches have to be applied within 4-6? hours or they won't bother. Something about the skin starting to heal already. I've found butterfly bandages to be a pretty good substitute that can be applied by anyone given proper wound preperation, and a helping hand.

Edited by stingray4540 on 04/05/2013 02:42:28 MDT.

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Locale: The-Stateless-Society
Re: Re: Let's just stop right there. on 04/05/2013 03:41:55 MDT Print View

FWIW, my "medical kit" consists of:

Duct Tape
Alcohol (part of my mess kit also, multi-use, GG ;D )
Strong Painkillers (not over the counter stuff, something powerful enough to mitigate serious pain for a bail out)
Some strong Antibiotics and Anti-parasitics I got from a Peruvian Pharmacy, JIC...


Seriously what else could you put to good use? Yeah bandages may probably be a good idea, but if it's serious enough to *really* need one, I imagine my shirt and duct tape will be effective enough. I'm not afraid of ruining my beautiful complexion, and the last time I was in a hospital being patched up they used superglue instead of stitches so, maybe I'll add some to the kit.


I never take medication in regular life. Not even aspirin or Tylenol, I can count the number of times I've taken antibiotics in my life on my hands, but I've been in multiple situations on and off trail, where the only thing that got me out were tenacity and strong painkillers. No amount of bandages are going to help with a broken leg or arm, and if you're bleeding to death, a tourniquet, or your shirt and duct tape, is going to go a lot further than a ton of bandaids and bandages.


Just my opinion, but I think most of this stuff is more about peace of mind than anything, so do what makes you feel good.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Let's just stop right there. on 04/05/2013 07:36:15 MDT Print View

Well Max, yes, being gay DOES put you in a higher risk category for being HIV+. Being tattooed puts you in a higher risk for being positive for Hepatitis C. If you are a body builder i am going to have a thought in my head that you are taking testosterone and growth hormone. Being obese puts you at a higher risk for developing diabetes. Being a man over the age of 50 means you likely have prostate issues. If you a female over 50 you are likely peri menopausal. If you are a fat female you likely have gallstones. If you smoke you do have bad lungs, bad bones, bad circulation, and a ton of other stuff. I ask people about their drinking habits, whether or not they have ever used drugs...not to pass judgement, but because that helps me diagnose their problems better and to treat them.

There are no judgements here at all. Medical professionals look at epidemiology, risk factors, appearance, behavior; we play the odds game when we try to evaluate risk and that's the point. Why are you assuming there is judgement??

You are very young and very idealistic, I get that. But be careful about assuming the rest of us are simply passing judgement, especially in a medical situation.

Hamish McHamish
(El_Canyon) - M

Locale: USA
reality on 04/05/2013 08:46:55 MDT Print View

Conversation in the back of the ambulance after we went on a call at 3am to a known drug 'hood. My patient has marks on her arms and looks strung out.

James: "ma'am do u have any health problems?"

Woman: "no I don't"

James: "so you don't have any medical things to deal with or worry about?"

Woman: "nope"

James: "how about hepatitis or HIV?"

Woman: "well yeah I got hep-C"

Lolz!! But oh nooooo, James is a discriminator! Send him to the re-education camp!

To Max: thanks for posting kid but u should reset your mode back to 'receive' instead of 'transmit'.

Kevin Schneringer
(Slammer) - MLife

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands
:) on 04/05/2013 08:50:32 MDT Print View

:)

Edited by Slammer on 04/05/2013 18:43:55 MDT.