Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Enlightened Equipment vs Jacks R Better - advice please
Display Avatars Sort By:
robert v
(mtnbob123) - F

Locale: Upstate South Carolina
EE All the Way!!! on 04/05/2013 14:03:32 MDT Print View

Love my Rev X 20 degree overstuffed. I got the long and wide one and it will cover my girlfriend and I fine for a summer quilt and my son just used it two nights ago for a couple of nights below 25 degrees in a bivy bag and stayed warm!! It is not as light as the lightest options that are available, but for the money it is awesome!!! The "seconds" material that they use for the Rev X wouldn't even be a second if it wasn't for a barely noticeable tiny stripe of dark gray that you will have to search to find. Also Tim is great to work with!!!!

Raymond Estrella
(rayestrella) - MLife

Locale: Northern Minnesota
re: advice please on 04/05/2013 16:49:57 MDT Print View

"Does anyone have any experience with the JRB Sierra Stealth?"

Yeah, I have a Sierra Stealth with a sewn-in footbox, and 900 fill. I got it at the start of winter so haven’t used it in summer conditions yet. (It is snowing here right now!) But I did use it quite a bit as an over-quilt for both myself and my son this winter. You can see that use in this bag review as I mention it.
http://tinyurl.com/c7acw4a

"Does the "poncho" style work well?"

It actually doesn't do too bad. I have the hood too, which I find works better with the quilt than as a stand-alone hood. See the pic at the end of the review above.

"I suppose I need a big rain coat to cover it when wet out?"

I sure would not have my quilt unprotected in rain as being warm at night is a lot more important than saving a bit of weight to me. But honestly if it were cold and raining I would just be inside the quilt (on my pad), not walking around in it. But I never hike in my down sweater either. My “puffy” insulation is only used when stationary.

"Will either of these be wide enough to adequately layer over my Ultralite bag?"

See review above. Yes, I used it over that bag and my son used it over his 20 F SD bag too. (Pic of him using it and wearing the hood below.)

"Will either of these be suitable to cover 2 people during the summer?"

In my opinion, it will not be comfortable for two people unless they are stacked… ;-)
JRB overquilt

Cody Bartz
(codybartz) - MLife

Thanks fellas! on 04/05/2013 20:09:47 MDT Print View

Thank you Tom, Art, Robert, and Raymond for the excellent information. I appreciate your time and effort in writing.

Cody Bartz
(codybartz) - MLife

quilt coming on 04/18/2013 08:14:28 MDT Print View

I ordered an Enlightened Equipment Revelation. 10 denier fabric inside and out, 6'6" and wide. Should be SWEET!

robert v
(mtnbob123) - F

Locale: Upstate South Carolina
EE Quilt on 04/18/2013 10:32:29 MDT Print View

Nice pickup. Let us know what you think after you have put it through its paces!

Art Tyszka
(arttyszka) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: quilt coming on 04/18/2013 17:11:37 MDT Print View

You'll love it, great choice.

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
Enlightened Equipment vs Jacks R Better - advice please" on 04/18/2013 23:11:27 MDT Print View

enLIGHTened Equipment Man agrees....GREAT CHOICE!
eqman

PS--That Nobul fabric makes a great liner for capes.......

Edited by bigfoot2 on 04/18/2013 23:12:32 MDT.

Cody Bartz
(codybartz) - MLife

10d fabric on 05/09/2013 14:44:43 MDT Print View

Matthew great photo, thanks for that!

Art, I have a couple questions for you. I just received my EE quilt. I used it once in the tent and have been checking it out a bit indoors and it seems that the 10d charcoal interior is leaking a good bit of down. Do you have the charcoal 10d and does it leak much? Or did it at first and settled down at all later? I am bummed by this as it is so soft and looks so nice. The black 10d exterior seems to be just fine, no down leaking. I ordered a wide, but am thinking about getting a REG width. Tim is now out of the charcoal 10d and said I could use the black 10d and it would lose a little breathability. Any thoughts on the black 10d as an interior fabric?

You said that you sent the quilt back for overfill. Did you ask for one or two ounces overfill? The weights you mentioned were just under two ounces. I am actually thinking about getting some overfill as well. Even with the new smaller karo step baffles, the down moves more than I would like. Did getting overfill help quite a bit?

Thank you!

Edited by codybartz on 05/09/2013 14:48:55 MDT.

Art Tyszka
(arttyszka) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: 10d fabric on 05/09/2013 20:05:30 MDT Print View

I haven't had any down leakage to speak of, so not sure what to say there, have you asked Tim directly? He's "the man" when it comes to quilts IMHO. I have Black/Charcoal 10d combo as well, so not sure why you'd be having down escape. Whether the black is inside or out, it's still very light fabric, so I don't think it will be that noticeable vs. the charcoal.

Considering how thin the 10d is it's not entirely surprising that there could be leakage, that's one of the compromises with gear like this. Although I can imagine it's disheartening to find down outside the quilt, you'll likely never lose enough to actually make a difference. A couple feathers may seem like a lot emotionally, but rationally this stuff is so light it'll take years of minor leakage to add up to anything noticeable.

For my overfill I asked Tim to put in what he thought was needed, it went from 13.4 to 15.1 and seems just about perfect. That overfill made a huge difference in keeping the down more evenly distributed, on my core. I hated to add weight as it was so light, but glad I did now.

Edited by arttyszka on 05/09/2013 20:09:34 MDT.