Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Hammock for NH white mountains direttissima 2013 HH Hyperlight vs WBBB???
Display Avatars Sort By:
Walter Carrington
(Snowleopard) - M

Locale: Mass.
NH 48 direttissima on 04/07/2013 12:32:56 MDT Print View

Philip (earlylite on BPL) was planning this, hiking all 48 NH 4000' mountains in one continuous hike. I'm not sure if he finished this or not. You could contact him and ask.
http://sectionhiker.com/hiking-a-white-mountain-direttissima/

Tom Caldwell
(Coldspring) - F

Locale: Ozarks
Dream Hammock on 04/07/2013 13:16:02 MDT Print View

I use a double layer 1.1 Blackbird, after updating from a Hennessy. I wish it was a little lighter, but I'm a little heavy. I greatly prefer it to a Hennessy.

I didn't look up all the prices and weights, but another hammock to consider would be the lightest netted hammock on the market, the Dream Hammock Darien UL. You'll get a much better suspension system, and the total package weighs 14 oz stuffed. I think the Hyperlite is 20 oz w/o the undersized tarp that comes with it. There would be a wait, of course.

I have a modified Hennessy with both the bottom entry and side zipper. After the zipper failed, probably due to my own abuse, I was able to "get out" of the hammock through the bottom entry, but it made me realize how much I prefer a side zip.

You could always get a regular netless hammock and netting, like the Warbonnet Traveler. Not sure the weights or prices, but Dream Hammock and Butt in a Sling make good hammocks and nets custom to order too, although I understand how it can get complicated to order hammocks, nets, and suspensions as separate pieces.

If you decided to go over your budget and get a dedicated underquilt, I think the Hammock Gear Phoenix 3/4 down Underquilts and Enlightened Equipment Prodigy X climashield UQs (synthetic is still light in summer weight) are pretty good buys. Jacks R Better has some good prices on fractional size underquilts too.

Edited by Coldspring on 04/07/2013 13:29:53 MDT.

BER ---
(BER) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Hammock for NH white mts. on 04/07/2013 14:11:12 MDT Print View

IF I were to get a HH again (I wouldn't), I'd recommend a side zip rather than the original velcro under entrance. The positioning of the velcro entrance, IMO, made under insulation a PITA. I found the WBBB much more usable, though I have since moved on to the WBRR DL, which, though somewhat heavier if you account for the spreader bars (unless you use hiking poles for dual use), is (again, IMO) far more comfortable, and affords a much better view. My run of hammocks: ENO DN, Clark NA, HH UL Backpacker "classic" (though at the time they did not have the zip option), DIY GE (WB Traveller clone), WBBB DL, TTTM King, DIY Netless Bridge #s 1-4, WBRR. The only ones I still have are DIY bridge #4 and the WBRR. I have heard very good stuff about Dream Hammocks but have never used them, having found myself squarely in the bridge camp.

If you haven't already been there, hammockforums.net is a good resource for all things hammock.

Edited by BER on 04/07/2013 14:18:36 MDT.

seth mcalister
(sethmcalister) - F

Locale: New Hampshire
Dream Hammocks on 04/08/2013 12:25:33 MDT Print View

I was going to also suggest a Darien UL from Dream-Hammocks. Integrated bug net, supremely light suspension setup (pretty much the lightest available on the market).

On a side note, I just ordered 3 yards of M50 from Thru-Hiker and had it shipped to Te-Wa for an UQ which he quoted me for $99 including shipping. That's the same price as the Hammock Gear 40* UQ for what will most likely be 4 oz. lighter.