Forum Index » GEAR » EXPED Symat UL failure - delaminating microfibre

Display Avatars Sort By:
Garth Collier
(garthc) - MLife

Locale: Singapore
EXPED Symat UL failure - delaminating microfibre on 03/31/2013 22:59:29 MDT Print View

I was wondering if anyone had experienced the microfibre delaminating in the Exped Symat UL?

I have a brand new Exped Synmat UL which has not been used. It was purchased from REI in January '13. It has only been inflated 2-3 times and has been stored unrolled. When inflated i have noticed a crackling sound when first inflated. I was preparing for a trip and noticed significant sections of the mat with no microfibre...The UL has a thin outer layer so you can see the microfibre...upon closer inspection the mircofibre had separated from the top outer layer and was rolled underneath the still attached sections of microfibre. The result was in various tunnel sections there was up to 2 feet long by 1 inch sections with no insulation. I checked on other areas and the microfibre appeared to be affixed to the top outer layer.

Has anyone else experienced this????...in my mind a major failure before it has even hit the trail.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: EXPED Symat UL failure - delaminating microfibre on 04/01/2013 14:50:36 MDT Print View

I don't have any experience with the above, but just wanted to say that i'm very interested in any answers as i was thinking recently of starting a thread asking about the most durable air mats out there, and specifically asking about the Exped line (i would probably get a down one though).

Did you contact Exped about this and see what they would say?

Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Locale: Colorado
Re: EXPED Symat UL failure - delaminating microfibre on 04/01/2013 15:33:05 MDT Print View

I haven't had this issue either. Agree with the previous poster that it's something worth contacting Exped about because I think they would be interested in knowing and I am sure they would make it right.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: EXPED Symat UL failure - delaminating microfibre on 04/01/2013 15:39:22 MDT Print View

Not had the problem. Manufacturing defect maybe. Contact Exped.

Cheers

Garth Collier
(garthc) - MLife

Locale: Singapore
Re: Re: EXPED Symat UL failure - delaminating microfibre on 04/02/2013 08:53:10 MDT Print View

Thanks all for your comments....you could hear the microfibre delaminating when inflated as the was a crackling tearing sound each time it has been inflated...i will get in touch with exped...see what they say!!

j lan
(justaddfuel) - F

Locale: MN
Re: Re: Re: EXPED Symat UL failure - delaminating microfibre on 04/02/2013 09:58:50 MDT Print View

I had this happen on a POE mat a while back, but that was after lots of use. Probably had a glue issue or it got too hot/cold somewhere along the way.

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
"EXPED Symat UL failure - delaminating microfibre" on 04/02/2013 11:52:32 MDT Print View

I think I'd return it to REI and get a new one, or a different brand, personally.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: "EXPED Symat UL failure - delaminating microfibre" on 04/02/2013 12:01:49 MDT Print View

I've had awesome results with exped's customer service and warranty people. They actually replaced the mat that my dog popped even though I just asked how much it would be to repair.

Michael Levine
(Trout) - F

Locale: Long Beach
EXPED Symat UL failure - delaminating microfibre on 04/04/2013 09:33:43 MDT Print View

Exped has replaced a pad I bought super quick, asked me to knife it and take a picture, sent one the next day.